What I did in the war

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: What I did in the war

Post by tamada » March 22, 2022, 7:11 am

noosard wrote:
March 21, 2022, 2:03 pm
Dont think they are to fussed which war
just want some bs stories
Almost correct. Opinions actually, not so much bs stories.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 22, 2022, 7:24 am

rick wrote:
March 21, 2022, 8:35 pm
Which war?
I lived in Birmingham when the IRA were bombing it on a weekly basis. I worked evenings in the town centre and it was hell getting home, glass everywhere and the cops trying to stop you walking through the city centre (not very effectively).
I did get strafed by a Libyan plane during a coup against Gaddafi - but they hit the next beach.

I was in Eastern Europe during the Kosovo war.

As i have signed the Official secrets act i cannot say anymore!
The IRA bombed Birmingham once: two bombs, two different pubs on the same night. There were other IRA bombings elsewhere in England though.

I was home for the holidays at the time but when I told mum and dad that I changed buses on New Street, they were quite worried when I went back to college.

Later, I became a hostage in Iraq for four months before Desert Storm but mum and dad had gotten used to it by then.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 23, 2022, 9:10 am

The pub bombings were not the only ones. Unfortunately due to the death toll the previous bombings are often not mentioned.
On 23 September 1973, a British soldier died of wounds six days after being injured while attempting to defuse an IRA bomb outside an office block in Birmingham
These attacks included five explosions which had occurred in Birmingham on 14 July, one of which had occurred at the Rotunda.
Found these on wikipedia; I am sure there were a couple of others, as i remember having to circumnavigate the city centre on more than one occasion. The rotunda bombing, i walked past that over the broken glass.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 23, 2022, 9:14 am

Forgot to say, i was detained by the secret police in Libya in 1975, suspected of what they didn't say. Only found out it was the secret police later! Fortunately only detained for a few hours and not tortured. Guess my answers checked out.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”