Climate Change

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Re: Climate Change

Post by pepesgrill » May 13, 2022, 6:15 am

im not a big fish & game guy but mekhong used to
supply 20% of worlds freshwater fish catch. now
theyre flopping around in mud puddles cant migrate

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 13, 2022, 7:02 am

AlexO wrote:
May 12, 2022, 4:59 pm
papafarang wrote:
May 12, 2022, 1:06 pm
AlexO wrote:
May 12, 2022, 12:40 pm
papafarang wrote:
May 12, 2022, 9:22 am

China's total renewable energy capacity exceeded 1,000GW in 2021, accounting for 43.5 per cent of the country's total power generation capacity, According to preliminary data from the US Energy Information Administration, renewable energy accounted for about 12.6% of total primary energy consumption. so the chinese are doing very well, India not so much. But a 30 second search on google would have told you that.
All very well Dean but China and Laos are totally screwing millions of people downstream of their clean Hydro dams who used to depend on the Mekong for their living and its only going to get worse.
china has always suffered flooding ,damage and loss of life. Dams are a way to mitigate the issue and generate power at the same time, guess its their land and their rain. like every country around the world they serve their own populations interests first. it not just dams, run off pollution from farming and factories all along the Mekong are destroying it anyway.
Suppose that's why they are they are Dean. We are the 'Masters', we have flooding because we have dammed the river. We can release the waters and basically don't give a monkey's what happens down stream. Meanwhile people suffer devastation (a bit like Thailand during the rainy season) Opposite in dry weather. Agree run offs are causing damage but not on the scale that 'Clean Energy' is and will continue to have on the millions of lives who depend (or used to) on the river in the lower reaches.
[/quote]
dams were built to stop the flooding . but hey the Chinese piss in the river , laos pisses in the river, thailand pisses in the river and the Cambodians have to drink it.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 13, 2022, 11:20 am

dams were built to stop the flooding .

The dams are built to provide hydro electrical systems buddy. When the dam reservoir's are over full they release huge amounts of water to relieve pressure on the dams. What happens downstream? flooding!! and sometimes serious life threatening flooding.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 13, 2022, 11:45 am

I think the downstream effects of the Chinese hydro-electric dams is lack of water in Laos and onwards rather than flooding. I don't recall any recent tales of the Mekhong in our neighborhood flooding to any great degree. Maybe our Nongkhai readers can advise? However, if there's a controlled release in China that floods Chinese valleys and drowns Chinese, it's not a big deal.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 13, 2022, 4:08 pm

If there is a water shortage in Laos Tam, why are they building Hydro dams with contracts already signed with Thailand to sell the electricity produced. There have in the last couple of years been drought conditions but I know when I was working in Laos 2015/16 there were fears especially around Vientiane that the Mekong was in danger of breaching the flood banks due to the Chinese releasing huge amounts of water from their Dams.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 13, 2022, 4:30 pm

AlexO wrote:
May 13, 2022, 4:08 pm
If there is a water shortage in Laos Tam, why are they building Hydro dams with contracts already signed with Thailand to sell the electricity produced. There have in the last couple of years been drought conditions but I know when I was working in Laos 2015/16 there were fears especially around Vientiane that the Mekong was in danger of breaching the flood banks due to the Chinese releasing huge amounts of water from their Dams.
This was touched on earlier at the UFES meeting (currently discussing sinus irrigation) and apparently the current flood situation in China has prompted the state to destroy some dams to prevent catastrophic flooding on the upstream side. How this impacts the dams in Laos wasn't mentioned but depending on the volumes released, this is an obvious cause for concern in Laos and the dams the Chinese built for them.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 13, 2022, 7:59 pm

Chinese didn't/are not building the Dams, they are funding them but is Loa (very few, too bloody lazy) and Vietnamese workers building them. Chinese workers would not put up with the conditions, believe me.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 13, 2022, 8:27 pm

I guess you didn't see this one, Alex.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... GTUK_email

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 14, 2022, 2:53 am

Excellent link. Life is really hard in China. There are youtuber Chinese experts presenting that picture every week. By expert I mean people who have lived in China for a considerable time and have a high level of Chinese language skill.

Be wary on social media, the CCP has many western shills spreading nonsense. I learned this week one of the current main ones is a friggin' Kiwi. Wxnker.

I am very concerned how climate change might impact Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 14, 2022, 7:10 am

AlexO wrote:
May 13, 2022, 7:59 pm
Chinese didn't/are not building the Dams, they are funding them but is Loa (very few, too bloody lazy) and Vietnamese workers building them. Chinese workers would not put up with the conditions, believe me.
Semantics. The nationality of the labour force doesn't make it anything else than a Chinese built dam, a Chinese built high speed railway, etc., etc.. The Laotians couldn't build any of it by themselves.

My experience over eight years working in Xinjiang and Qinghai in China indicates there's plenty of conscripted Chinese labour. My first Chinese girlfriend was such an employee and the chief driller was a convicted murderer on work release. As for work conditions, their choice was between a Chinese jail or a yurt in the Taklamakan.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 14, 2022, 4:25 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 13, 2022, 8:27 pm

Pratty
No missed it, must have been reading a real news rag that day not a Marxist fantasy comic.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 14, 2022, 4:32 pm

AlexO wrote:
May 14, 2022, 4:25 pm
jackspratt wrote:
May 13, 2022, 8:27 pm

Pratty
No missed it, must have been reading a real news rag that day not a Marxist fantasy comic.
Pratty
Read the article in your link. Still trying to work out if The G is praising Musk or damning him to hell for treating his labour force as slaves. That was part of my duties in China, to ensure all of our suppliers complied with our companies ethics and standards for their workforce.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 14, 2022, 5:31 pm

i used to be rather ambivalent about muskie but
he's really all about gaming the system. gets gov't
freebies in u.s. totalling billions. and this in china?

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 15, 2022, 5:20 pm

You mean he exploits the system to his advantage, Cali? Is that unscrupulous?

Open question.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 8:14 pm

ive said as much before. his genius, or part of it
is seeing untapped ways to milk the system. there
are so many facets to this, needs it's own thread

now he can open this battery factory in china and
have labourers work 12 hour shifts 6 days week. or plant runs 24-7 basically. isnt legal nobody cares

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 9:44 pm

none of his businesses make any financial sense
on paper without influx of massive gov't spending

this isn't a new thing. all the detroit automakers
got billions in bail-out funds also. and promptly
set-up manufacturing plants in mexico elsewhere

spacex big gov't contracts from defense dept to
deploy satellites and nasa supply intl space station

tesla - the gov't paid for everything. land grants,
tax breaks, gov't subsidies, build charging network

solar city and boring co. i'd be surprised if a different pattern. even recruited his rocket engineers from brilliant pebbles, gov't flop program
Last edited by pepesgrill on May 15, 2022, 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 15, 2022, 9:53 pm

pepesgrill wrote:
May 15, 2022, 8:14 pm
ive said as much before. his genius, or part of it
is seeing untapped ways to milk the system. there
are so many facets to this, needs it's own thread

now he can open this battery factory in china and
have labourers work 12 hour shifts 6 days week. or plant runs 24-7 basically. isnt legal nobody cares
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 15, 2022, 9:59 pm

You have never worked 12/6 ? or 12/12? sounds to me like someone who has not done the hard yards yet. Keep going.... one day you may understand work'
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 10:05 pm

no actually i have much experience with this. worked 12 hour shifts at a printing co. often 6 days week. worked 12 hour shifts assembling
desktops, 150 + units/day. yanks are not lazy. muskie dancing a fine line , with these aspersions

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 11:09 pm

solar city - far from being similar, it's worst of lot
by a considerable margin. gov't funds, investor cash, go green groups shovelling millions at it

more lawsuits and charges of impropriety than
you can shake a stick at. everyone starry-eyed
and intheir save the planet stupor. refuse to see

what happens when all the gov't prop-ups & grants
and subsidies expire. employees dumped and
markets vacated. contracts not honored.prison time for guys left & shoddy service/ maintenance

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”