Psychology of the Thais

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 7, 2008, 4:37 pm

Roy I avoided answing Ting because I do agree with you so I opened up the topic on another post
Roy keeps us in line LOL

Othello
udonmap.com

Post by Othello » May 8, 2008, 12:15 pm

Getting back to the original topic.
It is a form of therapy to talk to other farang about life here.
We all need to let off a bit of steam now and again.
I get upset on a daily basis mainly about the driving.

But now and again something happens to make me smile and remind me it is a lot better here than what I left behind.

Two recent examples, both in the car park under Big C.

Parks up, gets out. A family sitting in the back of the pick up eating.
They call to the wife "Come and eat with us".
Cannot ever remember being asked to share the chicken or burger by total strangers in my home town.

Another day, family in back of pick up. Little girl "Farang".
I reply "Sawatee Krab, Sabidee mai"
She grins from ear to ear. The parents are delighted that I talk and manage a few words in Thai.
If a foreign person walks around back home odds are that someone will call them a Effing Paki.

All in all I enjoy my life here. :
I learn to put up with their way of doing or not doing things.

Have a good day

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 9, 2008, 4:00 pm

The psychology of Thais...

A monk once said to me that Thais are not punctual. If a Thai says 'I'll be there at 3 pm' then he/she means any time in the afternoon!

Thais are a lot more sociable than Brits, hence Othello's experience of being invited to eat.

And as we know, they're not into that outward demonstration of anger (PAD supporter murders notwithstanding). But they'll always get you back in some way or other.

I reckon these three factors are the ones that most often lead to the Farang/Thai cultural clash.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 9, 2008, 4:41 pm

westerby wrote:The psychology of Thais...

A monk once said to me that Thais are not punctual. If a Thai says 'I'll be there at 3 pm' then he/she means any time in the afternoon!

Thais are a lot more sociable than Brits, hence Othello's experience of being invited to eat.

And as we know, they're not into that outward demonstration of anger (PAD supporter murders notwithstanding). But they'll always get you back in some way or other.

I reckon these three factors are the ones that most often lead to the Farang/Thai cultural clash.
Now my Mrs is the exception, she is ready and waiting before time...and she gets 'Ma-haw'...if someone she is waiting for is late...but then she got plenty of time on her hand i suppose.

"Getting someone back in one way or another"....Don't Panic Panick..!! :lol:

Yes , more sociable.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 11, 2008, 6:10 pm

Now is there a psychological difference between Isaan people and the rest of LOS? I know that BKK people like to laugh at the rural ways of those from Isaan but is it for real?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 15, 2008, 8:47 pm

^ I reckon previously, the city slickers used to look down their noses and laugh at the great unwashed in the northeast. However, following recent events, their glances look a bit apprehensive and their laughter sounds nervous.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 23, 2008, 4:12 pm

The status dimension in Thai family culture fascinates me.

In any family there are adult relatives of a lesser or higher status than others. For example, we have a Thai Army Colonel (married to one of the Dragon's elder sisters) in our tribe who seems to run things and deal with all the issues and problems that the Outlaws come up against. I've nothing against that, the chap is a good egg and very capable. He's even expected to sort financial issues sometimes at his expense.

However, there are others within the family that assume this mantle and abuse it to some degree, flexing their muscles while reminding others of the family pecking order. The Dragon has a debt ridden cousin who's a local lawyer but always reminds the Outlaws that he's a top dog (no respect for him from my side, though).

I've been with this gang a long time but made it clear that I am not in the family social strata. I'm happy to wai the seniors but I always make a point of asserting my independence from them.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”