Psychology of the Thais

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 5, 2008, 4:21 am

Roadman wrote:Thai's and time..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol: :lol: Brilliant Roadman, not only since you agreed with me :lol: :lol:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » May 5, 2008, 5:03 am

If you dont like It here,fig off to your own country! How many times you hear that !I would ! But I spent all my money here on My Thai wife and family.Now she gone,and my money too.Cant afford go back.
Respect? They invited japs here WW2 yes?I wonder If it was because they were short of toilet paper!Now I know why so many died building that bridge!
I love Thailand.But I think thais resent Farangs because of our financial position.There is alot to be said behind that smile.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 5, 2008, 5:15 am

I sometimes adopt 'Thai Time' with the Mrs...she hates it..!! she is always on or before time and expects me and everyone else to be the same as her.(unfortunately for her 'Her family' are always on Thai Time.) :lol:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 5, 2008, 10:03 am

It is not so much that the Thais invited the Japanese into the country, it was more or less the Japanese making Thailand an offer they could not refuse. Anyway, the Japanese parked a number of their troops in southern Thailand for an assault on British Malaya. Not much the Thais could have done to stop that.

Nevertheless, Thailand did reap some benefits. After defeating the French in a short battle in Laos, the Japanese arbitrated and gave the former Thai territories (taken from Laos) on the west bank of the Mekong back to Thailand, and the former Thai provinces of Battambang and Siem Reap in Cambodia were taken from the French and given to Thailand. The Japanese probably gave the Thais something from the British too. In the north, I know they got the Shan State of Kengtung, but they probably got something from British Malaya too, perhaps, Kedah State.

Thais, like Burmese, Canadians, British, Australians, New Zealanders, Americans, Indians, Javanese and others suffered deprivation and death building the Death Railway.

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » May 5, 2008, 11:50 am

Tilokarat wrote:It is not so much that the Thais invited the Japanese into the country, it was more or less the Japanese making Thailand an offer they could not refuse. Anyway, the Japanese parked a number of their troops in southern Thailand for an assault on British Malaya. Not much the Thais could have done to stop that.

Nevertheless, Thailand did reap some benefits. After defeating the French in a short battle in Laos, the Japanese arbitrated and gave the former Thai territories (taken from Laos) on the west bank of the Mekong back to Thailand, and the former Thai provinces of Battambang and Siem Reap in Cambodia were taken from the French and given to Thailand. The Japanese probably gave the Thais something from the British too. In the north, I know they got the Shan State of Kengtung, but they probably got something from British Malaya too, perhaps, Kedah State.

Thais, like Burmese, Canadians, British, Australians, New Zealanders, Americans, Indians, Javanese and others suffered deprivation and death building the Death Railway.
=D> Well done.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 6, 2008, 9:16 am

In the case of Japan, The Thai military and police in the south did initially resist the Japanese occupation. About 200 died before the compromise 'invitation' was agreed, which avoided a lot more bloodshed and would only have delayed the Japanese by a few days. It is also notable that for the rest of the war the Thai military was able to keep their participation to an insignificant level. You have to respect the long term strategy of the government - it limited the damage and the level of post war retribution from the allies.

Darryl
udonmap.com

Post by Darryl » May 6, 2008, 1:46 pm

"nabbed the best looking women" hmmmm ,not so sure about that ,judging what ive seen over the last 3 years.I dont see many stunners walking around with falangs.Have a look on your travels see what you think .

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 6, 2008, 3:07 pm

oow, maybe because my preference is cute as opposed to stunning;o)

Darryl
udonmap.com

Post by Darryl » May 6, 2008, 3:33 pm

Cutes fine jetdoc ,good luck to you. Okay maybe very attractive i should have said ,all the best Darryl.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 6, 2008, 3:53 pm

Man,I would hate to try an hold on to one of those ''Superstars''from a gogo!!!

Yet there are guys trying to capture them :lol: :lol:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 6, 2008, 8:39 pm

let me ad my two cents I spent 15 days in a hospital and just got out on the 15 of april
my thai inlaws spent all 15 days in the hospital with me & my wife doing what ever they can
including going to Immigration in Nong Khai for me rub my leg when i was in pain slept on the floor next to my bed to be ready to help me my American Family would not do that they would spend about 1 hour and leave and have a million excuses why they did not come back so if your only bit/ch is they are not punctual well none of my American wifes were also & as a non smoker I had to put up with there smoking which none of my thai inlaws do what a big plus that is. yes I have gripes but mine are about the thai baht being to strong

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 6, 2008, 8:46 pm

aznyron wrote:lyes I have gripes but mine are about the thai baht being to strong
Ron you need to change your mindset.

It is not that the TBH is too strong, but more the case that the US$ is too weak - and unlikely to change in the near future.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 6, 2008, 9:16 pm

Jack I know the USD is weak but in all honesty I do not believe the thai baht is that strong
but that only my opinion. I am also learning to accept it.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 6, 2008, 9:25 pm

Ron I tend to judge the TBH against the A$, which is my "home" currency. There has been little change in the 5 or 6 years I have been coming here.

On the other hand, I am struggling to see a currency against which the US$ has appreciated in the past 4 - 5 years.

Perhaps others could measure the movements of their home currencies against the TBH in the past few years to give a broader sample.

ps I should also say that 5 or 6 years ago A$1 would get you about US55 cents. Now it will get you 94.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 6, 2008, 9:39 pm

Jack if your talking about the aussie dollar yes it got stronger and I believe it deserved it since Australia is booming. I am looking at Malaysia ringit also the Vietnam dong not just the thai baht as well as the brit pound also the euro the joke is with the exception of the aussie dollar they all are weaker today against the thai baht just to suspicious for me to buy into there B/S especially with all that has happened here including thailand is number 4 on having the most homicides in the world that does not say much for thai. also now the new PM is saying there is a coup in the works more
reason to suspect the gov. & banks are proping up the baht. as for the USD staying weak I disagree with you on that statement right after Barack Obama get elected President you will see the USD climb back up. one reason is all those speculaters on oil will dump there stock and oil will drop like a rock

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 6, 2008, 9:53 pm

let get back on track for me it took a bad M/B accident to lean about the love of my thai family
and I am very grateful to them and I also learned to love them back God Bless them every day they live because they are wonderful

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 6, 2008, 9:57 pm

aznyron wrote:let get back on track for me it took a bad M/B accident to lean about the love of my thai family
and I am very grateful to them and I also learned to love them back God Bless them every day they live because they are wonderful
Cheers Ronnie :D

dbriggins
udonmap.com

Post by dbriggins » May 6, 2008, 9:57 pm

I think you run into trouble by trying to paint Thais with too broad a brush. There are aspects of Thai culture that farangs scratch their heads about, but to say ALL Thais are this way or that way is generalizing to say the least. Bad experiences can color our view of Thais and Thailand, just like good experiences can.

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » May 6, 2008, 11:29 pm

Barack Obama get elected President :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » May 6, 2008, 11:45 pm

Come on guys, does every thread we have on here need to descend in American politics?
Free the Doug 1

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”