High speed Rail Link

Thailand news, views and comments
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: High speed Rail Link

Post by FrazeeDK » August 1, 2018, 8:55 pm

nah, that's to haul in Chinese workers to support Phase III and IV of the Thai-Chinese rail project!

Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 1, 2018, 8:57 pm

DM, as far as I know the elevated tollway from Bang-Pa-In to the west side of the Khorat ring road is what's being built along Rte 2 down there now.... You'll be able to get on the tollway on the west side ring road in Khorat and drive at 120kph to Rte 9 ring road on the north side of BKK near Bang Pa-In...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 28, 2018, 4:28 pm

Interesting times.....across the Mekong
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/25/busi ... e=Homepage

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 29, 2018, 10:58 am

about 9+ million dollars a kilometer for the "next" 11 kilometer build on the Khorat to Sikhiu (on the way to Bangkok) high speed rail link.. https://eng.yidaiyilu.gov.cn/qwyw/rdxw/67603.htm
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 29, 2019, 5:17 pm

As Stephen Colbert likes to say in the news, "Meanwhile!"
https://www.facebook.com/laoconsult/pos ... __tn__=K-R

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 29, 2019, 8:18 pm

I just came back from a trip to Vang Vieng. It is the first time that I have been there in four years. I was amazed at all the road signs in Chinese, and the number of construction sites that seem to have started up by China. My Lao hosts did not seem pleased by this, but said there was very little foreign investment in Laos other than by China and Thailand. They added that the rising Thai baht is leading to higher prices in the market since many products are imported from Thailand.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 29, 2019, 8:54 pm

rising cost of living in Laos may affect the lower socio-economic classes but it certainly doesn't stop thousands of Lao from coming to Udon to shop and use the hospitals. That's gotta be just a huge nasty indictment on the ability of their own government to provide adequate medical or commercial services in the country. The huge mall built and managed by the Chinese in the center of Vientiane can't be doing much business!!
Dave

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 30, 2019, 7:19 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
July 29, 2019, 8:54 pm
rising cost of living in Laos may affect the lower socio-economic classes but it certainly doesn't stop thousands of Lao from coming to Udon to shop and use the hospitals. That's gotta be just a huge nasty indictment on the ability of their own government to provide adequate medical or commercial services in the country. The huge mall built and managed by the Chinese in the center of Vientiane can't be doing much business!!
We should feel lucky that they do . Couldnt see either Central or the hospitals surviving without them .
They sure cant rely on geriatric pale faces shuffling around either to spend any money these days .
All i see lately is everyone selling the farm and running for the hills . :(

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 30, 2019, 7:25 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 29, 2019, 8:18 pm
I just came back from a trip to Vang Vieng. It is the first time that I have been there in four years. I was amazed at all the road signs in Chinese, and the number of construction sites that seem to have started up by China. My Lao hosts did not seem pleased by this, but said there was very little foreign investment in Laos other than by China and Thailand. They added that the rising Thai baht is leading to higher prices in the market since many products are imported from Thailand.
Whats the road like between Vientiene and Vang Vieng these days Uncle ?
Havent been over for many years , and the last time it took a good 8 hours of total concentration to do the trip , and i dont usually hang about .
Sort of put me off venturing further to Lang Prabang , which i sort of regret now .

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 30, 2019, 10:26 am

saint wrote:
July 30, 2019, 7:25 am
Whats the road like between Vientiene and Vang Vieng these days Uncle ? Havent been over for many years , and the last time it took a good 8 hours of total concentration to do the trip , and i dont usually hang about . Sort of put me off venturing further to Lang Prabang , which i sort of regret now
Unlike some of the roads I have been on in central and northeastern Laos, the road to Vang Vieng is free of potholes. However, the drive is slow since it is only one lane (for the most part) going in each direction. It becomes a bit dangerous in the hilly areas as some drivers like to pass rounding the corners without knowing what is coming in the other direction. I think it took us 3 hours going south from Vang Vieng to near Talat Sao in Viang Chan. Of course, there were pit stops everytime we came upon roadside stalls.

Laos is a very beautiful country and is worth seeing as much of it as you can. In the past, I flew to Luang Prabang and Luang Namta. From the latter town, I took buses to Vang Vieng and to Xieng Khuang, and a van to and from Xieng Khuang up to Sam Neua near the Vietnam border. You would find the area outside Pakse to the hill country fascinating too. Vat Phu in Champassak is worth a visit, and a climb, as well as one of the islands in the South, for example, Don Daeng Island, to relax by the fast flowing Mekong.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 30, 2019, 3:20 pm

They installed the last section of concrete span for the Luang Prabang railway bridge over the Mekong yesterday...
https://www.facebook.com/laoconsult/pos ... __tn__=K-R
train bridge Luang Praband.jpg
Dave

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 30, 2019, 4:21 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 30, 2019, 10:26 am
saint wrote:
July 30, 2019, 7:25 am
Whats the road like between Vientiene and Vang Vieng these days Uncle ? Havent been over for many years , and the last time it took a good 8 hours of total concentration to do the trip , and i dont usually hang about . Sort of put me off venturing further to Lang Prabang , which i sort of regret now
Unlike some of the roads I have been on in central and northeastern Laos, the road to Vang Vieng is free of potholes. However, the drive is slow since it is only one lane (for the most part) going in each direction. It becomes a bit dangerous in the hilly areas as some drivers like to pass rounding the corners without knowing what is coming in the other direction. I think it took us 3 hours going south from Vang Vieng to near Talat Sao in Viang Chan. Of course, there were pit stops everytime we came upon roadside stalls.

Laos is a very beautiful country and is worth seeing as much of it as you can. In the past, I flew to Luang Prabang and Luang Namta. From the latter town, I took buses to Vang Vieng and to Xieng Khuang, and a van to and from Xieng Khuang up to Sam Neua near the Vietnam border. You would find the area outside Pakse to the hill country fascinating too. Vat Phu in Champassak is worth a visit, and a climb, as well as one of the islands in the South, for example, Don Daeng Island, to relax by the fast flowing Mekong.
For those who don't like or can't cope with long winding road journeys (that includes me), you can fly from Vientiane to Luang Prabang (Lao Airways), though agreed you would miss Vang Vieng.
Last edited by arjay on July 30, 2019, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 30, 2019, 8:19 pm

if you look on Google Earth (vice Google maps which is older) you can see the route of the new railway right of way northward from Vientiane. Paralleling it is another cut which seems to be an expressway under construction. That along with the train that will have a station in Vang Vieng will make travel far less onerous. December 2021 the train is supposed to be open for business..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 26, 2021, 12:27 pm

480 baht Vientiane - Kunming! Service starts 2 December
Attachments
260805145_4615755425186190_6042679004301209449_n.jpg

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 26, 2021, 5:08 pm

parrot wrote:
November 26, 2021, 12:27 pm
480 baht Vientiane - Kunming! Service starts 2 December
All Yer Gotta do is get to Vientiane.....1st...Good Luck with THAT !!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 3, 2021, 10:45 am

Taken from today's The Economist Espresso Briefing:
https://www.economist.com/espresso
China opens a railway to Laos

A high-speed railway connecting Yunnan, China’s most south-western province, with Vientiane, Laos’s capital, opens on Friday. It is an astonishing work of engineering, cutting through porous sandstone mountains, with dozens of tunnels and bridges. It took China six years to build.

Laos has almost no other railways, and the connection is bound to transform Vientiane, a sleepy city of fewer than 1m people. But the economic returns Laos can expect remain unclear. The debt it incurred means greater dependence on China. A one-way ticket through the country is too expensive for most Laotians.

To increase the benefits of the scheme, neighbouring Thailand would need to get on board. That would make a line from China to Singapore possible. But the Thai government, perhaps fearing financial dependency, turned down China’s offer to build the branch. It seems in no hurry to lay the tracks itself.
20211204_dap328.jpg

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » December 4, 2021, 4:03 am

Cripes, this is an extraordinary accomplishment. Congratulations to all involved.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » December 5, 2021, 5:31 pm

I just hope Laos can afford the repayments.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 5, 2021, 5:55 pm

As of midday today they revalued the kip ........ 1 kip = 1$ US ........ that should take care of it :^o

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 5, 2021, 6:59 pm

at least the chinese are giving them a chance to develop..unlike the westerners. visit Vientiane before we cant afford it
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Return to “Thailand News”