High speed Rail Link

Thailand news, views and comments
Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: High speed Rail Link

Post by Giggle » December 5, 2021, 7:18 pm

papafarang wrote:
December 5, 2021, 6:59 pm
at least the chinese are giving them a chance to develop..unlike the westerners. visit Vientiane before we cant afford it
How does this help Laos develop? Boring, ignorant ideologues haven't a clue. This is a Chinese project for Chinese interests. The story clearly stated most Lao citizens can't afford a one-way ticket -- yet you would have us believe this is a shining example of China's munificence and compassion in helping develop Laos. :confused:

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 5, 2021, 8:38 pm

Ten of thousands of Lao citizens will proudly display a picture on Line or FB showing them pretending to get on the train .... massive boost to public esteem and looking Hi-so in front of their friends. There are some things money can't buy!!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 6, 2021, 1:24 am

Giggle wrote:
December 5, 2021, 7:18 pm
papafarang wrote:
at least the chinese are giving them a chance to develop..unlike the westerners. visit Vientiane before we cant afford it
How does this help Laos develop? Boring, ignorant ideologues haven't a clue. This is a Chinese project for Chinese interests. The story clearly stated most Lao citizens can't afford a one-way ticket -- yet you would have us believe this is a shining example of China's munificence and compassion in helping develop Laos. :confused:
Back in 2018 I went by road from Vang Vieng to Viang Chan. There were numerous Chinese construction sites along the way with signage in Chinese, and sometimes in Lao. My Lao friends said all of the workers were brought from China and very few Lao worked on the line. I don't know if this is true or not. In the past few weeks two of my Lao friends have posted on facebook standing in the centre of the tracks. Somehow they feel this is a great accomplishment by the Lao Government. They feel very proud.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 6, 2021, 1:45 am

Giggle wrote:
papafarang wrote:
sorry did i trigger you ? let me explain ' yet you would have us believe this is a shining example of China's munificence and compassion in helping develop Laos" that's your words not mine, it's a commercial enterprise , we call it capitalism . trains do run both ways you know. nothing to do with with people getting on a train to go to a place they can't afford , its about getting business and tourists to come to Laos to spend money . a few smelly backpackers crossing from thailand will never help Laos develop, but giving access to 1.4 billion chinese will bring in the cash.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » December 6, 2021, 6:38 am

Yes, you triggered Giggle. He's a bit prickly about any developments such as this challenging US hegemony.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 6, 2021, 7:11 am

GT93 wrote:
December 6, 2021, 6:38 am
Yes, you triggered Giggle. He's a bit prickly about any developments such as this challenging US hegemony.
when you put it that way i guess it is embarrassing that Laos has a much better, modern high speed rail than the usa.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 6, 2021, 7:37 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 6, 2021, 1:24 am
Giggle wrote:
papafarang wrote:
Back in 2018 I went by road from Vang Vieng to Viang Chan. There were numerous Chinese construction sites along the way with signage in Chinese, and sometimes in Lao. My Lao friends said all of the workers were brought from China and very few Lao worked on the line. I don't know if this is true or not. In the past few weeks two of my Lao friends have posted on facebook standing in the centre of the tracks. Somehow they feel this is a great accomplishment by the Lao Government. They feel very proud.
many chinese went to work there, simple fact that Laos didn't have the means or skills to build the rail.but things are changing for them
https://youtu.be/WhxcnPQpu48

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 6, 2021, 9:45 am

Let's hope so

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » December 6, 2021, 1:05 pm

Laos needs high speed rail so the Chinese can import their next Frankenvirus to Vientiene toot sweet.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 6, 2021, 7:51 pm

the majority of the rail traffic on that line will be freight. Expect to see more SRT flat cars with 20 foot containers heading north to go across the bridge to the Thanalaeng logistics yard where they'll be transferred onto the other line for transport up into China. I would think that producers in Issan, particularly Mitr Phon Sugar would be doing sales pitches to the Chinese now to ship their product northwards... After commerce via rail incxreases I expect (as I've said before) the Chinese will probably spring to build the new rail bridge at Nong Khai (30 meters downstream from the current one) and likely push hard to get the SRT dual track and the Thai-China "high speed" rails built at least down to Khon Khean..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 13, 2022, 8:48 am

Starting to sound like Hopewell.......I mean hopeless:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... peed-route

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 13, 2022, 10:03 am

The Bangkok to Khorat portion of the HSR is a far toughter one to build both geographically and legall than the portion from Khorat to KK and on to Nong Khai. The right of way from Khorat to KK has already been dual tracked with enough space left within the right of way to lay ground level HSR tracks most of the way.. Within KK the projected plan is to have the HSR elevated through the city and evidently the tracks will be over the current elevated station. From KK to Udon there are only a few significant obstacle (Nam Phong River being one) so again, most of the route could be at ground level. Udon is scheduled to have the whole SRT dual-track and HSR elevated. From Udon to Nong Khai the right of way is certainly wide enough to provide space for ground level construction. As I've mentioned previously, we'll know how serious the government is about this construction if a deal is made to get the Mekong River rail bridge started soonest...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 9, 2022, 4:27 pm

https://thainews.prd.go.th/th/news/deta ... 2141045445
The Thai government seems to be taking a 'my way or the highway' approach to the HSRL......it almost makes me fear that passengers will have to debark at the Thai/Lao border as the systems/operators/mechanics might be just a tad bit off. I'm also wondering about the use of the term "high speed" when the advertised speeds seem to be slower than what's accepted as high speed
"While there is no single international standard for high speed rail, new train lines having speeds in excess of 250 kilometers per hour (km/h), or 160 miles per hour (mph), and existing lines in excess of 200 km/h (120 mph) are generally considered to be high speed"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 9, 2022, 6:22 pm

Not traveled on Eurostar through Kent then parrot :oops:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 9, 2022, 6:41 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 5, 2021, 8:38 pm
Ten of thousands of Lao citizens will proudly display a picture on Line or FB showing them pretending to get on the train .... massive boost to public esteem and looking Hi-so in front of their friends. There are some things money can't buy!!
What you and Texpat say is true. A few of my Lao friends have had their pictures taken on the tracks near the Viang Chan station prior to the arrival of the train. One has gone to China beaming with pride in all her photos. I've told them what Texpat said and have warned them what this really means, but they seem to believe it is a a giant leap forward for the development of Laos.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 9, 2022, 8:26 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 9, 2022, 6:41 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
December 5, 2021, 8:38 pm
What you and Texpat say is true. A few of my Lao friends have had their pictures taken on the tracks near the Viang Chan station prior to the arrival of the train. One has gone to China beaming with pride in all her photos. I've told them what Texpat said and have warned them what this really means, but they seem to believe it is a a giant leap forward for the development of Laos.
Give them their due but not every Lao grub owns a Denali and can afford to shop for a new dunny at HomePro on the east loop.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 12, 2022, 8:06 pm

I have a number of Lao FB friends from when I worked up there 2002-2007. About 6 weeks ago many of them started posting how they were patriotically buying Lao government bonds, expensive ones at that. All to "help" the government financial issues. Fact is, the Lao government is certianly in the One Belt One Road debt trap. Last year Chinese companies were given ownership of potash mines in Khammouane Province as part of debt repayment. Watch for the massive bauxite reserves in the Bolovens plateau down south in Lao to go the same way.... They were assayed by Aussie companies in the arly 00's and reckoned to be equal to Oz's bauxite reserves then or about 15% of the world's..
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 13, 2022, 2:41 pm

Yes if you look at the BIG picture, Laos being relatively empty is ripe for Chinese backdoor colonisation , stripping the country of anything valuable makes it perfect for a take over, also isolating Vietnam in the process. Cambodia is just a blip that can be ignored. China needs land !!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 13, 2022, 3:35 pm

no, China needs control of their One Belt One Road corridors to ensure an unfaltering supply chain. Resources are the driving force and the feckless corruption of Lao leaders will certainly ensure they become pliant puppets (if not already) of the Chinese. That the Lao resources will be controlled by China is a given. It will just take a few more years.. Then of course the OBOR corriodor has to extend down through Thailand to the Eastern Seaboard ports.. Watch that land bridge over the Khra Isthmus that is in the final planning stages now. That will happen too. Then cargo ships will unload at the Andaman Coast and rail move those containers to either be reloaded on ships in the Gulf of Thailand or railed via the High Speed tracks to China.. Don't forget the Chinese OBOR is also building a rail link from southwestern China down into Myanmar. They alread have a petroleum/gas terminal at Sittewe on Myanmar's west coast with pipelines completed 3 years ago stretching all the way up to Kunming. Oh, and let there be no mistake. the HSR project tends to focus on the High Speed passenger bullet trains, a minor piece of the pie. In Laos that has been 5% of the traffic. The other 95%?? freight, resources.......
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 1, 2022, 2:37 pm

I know there's been lots of controversy about the ringroad/Ban Jan rail intersection.......some want an underpass, some a tunnel, some an overpass, everyone wants to preserve the ?ancient temple? site......but the sign is calling for the people of Udon to oppose the double track proposal set by the SRT.
Big vote on Sunday 2 Oct at Nong Khon Kwang.....probably will be a large opposition gathering
https://udontoday.co/300965-2/?fbclid=I ... wZYeBHr9tg
Attachments
20221001_120714.jpg

Return to “Thailand News”