'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: DL points deductions

Post by Stantheman » December 4, 2022, 9:52 pm

With all the drivers on the road now without valid license, I dought the point system will stop many drivers who lose all their points.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 4, 2022, 9:55 pm

Stantheman wrote:
December 4, 2022, 9:52 pm
With all the drivers on the road now without valid license, I dought the point system will stop many drivers who lose all their points.
Any idea what the numbers are?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 4, 2022, 10:04 pm

From memory, since I have been here full-time (2007) this is the 3rd or 4th time the DL points system has been advertised as definitely and absolutely starting.

TiT - let's see. :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 5, 2022, 7:36 am

Thai media are stating that this system will deter BAD DRIVERS, my supposition ios that Bad drivers do not have a licence in the first place so the Points system is useless.
Now if ALL the Insurance Companies ( Including the mandatory por o bor ) would get on BOARD and declare NO LICENCE, they will not pay out anything to anyone, they that would deter bad drivers as currently anyone can buy Porobor for any vehicle NO requirement to show the parson driving has a licence and no-one ever checks. Except the Police on their routine ( money making ) traffic stops .
IT might impact on poorer p[eople I understand that , but the benefits outweigh the upset. Coupled with the Popints system which would NOW effdect ALL Drivers, would certainly assist in bringing down not only Bad drivers but alos Accidents.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 5, 2022, 8:09 am

It will be ineresting to see how they implement this points system. I can't see the BIB being allowed to give points. Any point will surely be handed out in court..

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 5, 2022, 8:34 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:
December 5, 2022, 8:09 am
It will be ineresting to see how they implement this points system. I can't see the BIB being allowed to give points. Any point will surely be handed out in court..
Although I like your thought processes, i fell it will be electronically implemented by report from Police to a computor which will issue the fine and points and you will be informed. Yet to see a police Officer in COURT FOR MINOR traffic offences

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 5, 2022, 8:40 am

If going to court the fines for numerous driving offences are quite low .. for not having a valid driving license it is 500 to 2000 depending on the circumstances (and the judge presiding)

As wee jimmy comments be interesting to see just how its implemented... will the police link up with the transport office and how will this effect the slippery 100bt tea voucher when stopped on the road.??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 13, 2023, 4:13 pm

If anyone has first hand experience with increased fines or with points deductions, I'm sure other members would appreciate the info.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 14, 2023, 7:00 am

Reported over 10.000 drivers on probation, means that in some places the RTP are workinmg hard.
What I would like is to see them stop, lorries, coaches and minivans who break the law daily and fine them. Currently these drivers seem impervious to any attempt to curtail their illegal driving actions like hogging the outside lane, speeding , etc the list is almost endless.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 14, 2023, 7:19 am

Khun Paul wrote:
January 14, 2023, 7:00 am
Reported over 10.000 drivers on probation, means that in some places the RTP are workinmg hard.
What I would like is to see them stop, lorries, coaches and minivans who break the law daily and fine them. Currently these drivers seem impervious to any attempt to curtail their illegal driving actions like hogging the outside lane, speeding , etc the list is almost endless.
My ire is for the idiots that form a fourth lane on the left-turn filter lane but go straight when the light goes green and force their way into traffic. Really bad during rush-hour and prevalent on the new, wide intersections on the east ring.

Also noted during yesterday's foggy morning that most cars and trucks dropped their speed and newer vehicles had their lights on "auto" but the motorbike riders were on a total death wish and there's no DRL's on bloody motorbikes.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 14, 2023, 8:37 am

tamada wrote:
January 14, 2023, 7:19 am
Khun Paul wrote:
January 14, 2023, 7:00 am
My ire is for the idiots that form a fourth lane on the left-turn filter lane but go straight when the light goes green and force their way into traffic. Really bad during rush-hour and prevalent on the new, wide intersections on the east ring.

Also noted during yesterday's foggy morning that most cars and trucks dropped their speed and newer vehicles had their lights on "auto" but the motorbike riders were on a total death wish and there's no DRL's on bloody motorbikes.

Ah tis Thailand with all its foibles and stupidity , more so when we talk about Road Traffic and those that steer, dive, seem to be in charge of the powered personal transportation `.
Many yeas ago I ran a xpersonal survey at a fairly minor crossroads ion town while drinking coffee wqith a business owner. we counted in the space of over one HOUR over 100 mistakes/stupid manoeuvres/ illegal activity . So no surprises Ta`m , just everyday actions by the residents of Udon ( including dare I say it the RTP/Fire and other so-called rescue services. ) ...

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 14, 2023, 8:07 pm

parrot wrote:
January 13, 2023, 4:13 pm
If anyone has first hand experience with increased fines or with points deductions, I'm sure other members would appreciate the info.
Yes ..yesterday HW 24 Korat to Ubon near Chok Chai .. snapped by a tripod operating BIB hid in the bushes ..pulled over 1 or 2 kms further on at a check point ,,, 100 in a 90 ,, smashing polite service fair cop guv 400 bt fine neg down to 200 as spoke Thai and questioned only a 10km difference paid roadside ... plus 100 tip , i asked about the new points system and with a wave of the hand told no , have a safe trip...

My question is .. CCTV speeders n red light jumpers .. this points system wont work for them as all they have is the vehicle number plate , whose to say who was driving at the time ??.. car rental companies etc ??

As ever lets see how this pans out .. its a lottery at the mo , so play yer cards right cos what to points make PRIZES !!.. as Brucie used to say.

DM

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 14, 2023, 8:21 pm

Are you sure the CCTV speed cameras, and the red light cameras, are only recording number plates?

I have seen several reports where the face of the offending driver is clearly identifiable.

Car rentals companies - who signed for the rental?

So I suspect the technology is available - whether or not the willingness to enforce is a totally different kettle of plaa.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 15, 2023, 12:47 am

Face recognition technology is available but to get a match you would need to recognise faces at license issue time or another agency database such as immigration.

The technology is challenged if wearing thick rimmed sunglasses a benie pulled over the ears, some hats and in the case of women, heavy makeup. Impossible if wearing a mask covering mouth and nose. Poor lighting is an issue.

The exact parameters are a close held secret, but it requires between 50 and 100 measurements to make a match. Easy at places like airports, but tougher on roads.

Red Light cameras would need to be replaced and ideally connected via high speed internet.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 15, 2023, 6:33 am

about 5 years back going from Udon to Pattaya ( about 4am ) going out of Khon Kaen doing 120 kph and the same place returning home a week latter , got 2 letters same day about 6 weeks latter each for 500 baht in my wifes name shes the owner , but on the photos you could clearly see me driving . very good quality photos ..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 7:15 am

Get a speed camera ticket in a rental car, the rental company pays the fine and back charges your credit card. Their vehicles are registered with a company, not an individual so points accrual won't apply. I doubt th RTP are too interested in positivity identifying the actual vehicle operators in these instances. Same applies if a fleet driver is speeding, the ticket/fine will go to the vehicles registered owner and pretty sure they will deduct the fine from his/her wages before firing them. Again, no points accrual.

If one is consistently speeding in the vehicle that's registered in your wife's name, it's her license that will have points deducted. Just keep that in mind when you ask her to accompany you to sign off on your annual marriage extension. Of course if your wife doesn't have a Thai DL, carry on driving like an eedjit.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 15, 2023, 7:24 am

Can see the BIB bothering to chase up cctv cases re points too much hassle... roadside check points could turn into an added shake down (more doe) with the option not to write a ticket thus avoiding points .. so now it could be tea with biscuits and in some cases a cream bunfund.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 15, 2023, 8:57 am

Wel many are missing the point here. The RTP do NOT have to chase up people, each year all cars must apply for Road Tax, and guess what I have seen often the owner /agent have to pay for fines incurred by the vheicle before a Disc is issued. from that one can also work out the drivers name and POINTS deducted can be sent by post. In case of Rentals I am sure the Rental Company will quickly supply drivers details when asked

Those vehicles which are untaxed initially will skate through but eventually they will be caught as most even if untaxed still have Porobor and details can be got via that means`.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 9:12 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 15, 2023, 7:24 am
Can see the BIB bothering to chase up cctv cases re points too much hassle... roadside check points could turn into an added shake down (more doe) with the option not to write a ticket thus avoiding points .. so now it could be tea with biscuits and in some cases a cream bunfund.

DM
Outside of Bangkok, you are probably right for the current situation where this points system is little over a week old. Your experience suggests that it's too much of a faff for the lowly, provincial RTP highwayman to bother with right now. Maybe in the future they will have a scanner that makes the gathering of DL info a one-touch event. As drivers renew their licenses, the data embedded/encoded in the Thai DL will become more relevant in this national drivers database, just as it is back home. In the same was as the automated, touch-and-go POS (point of sale) with your plastic at supermarkets, the tagging for any points deduction will be automated and tamper proof. Only difference being the receipt will show your points tally.

Of course you will always have the option to bung some red paper or even claim you don't have a license. However, that latter lie will be easily spotted as your latest license will already be in their database. The next, logical step will be Thai insurance companies having access to these 'league tables'.

YMMV
TiT
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Thailand News”