Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Thailand news, views and comments
saint
udonmap.com

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by saint » June 14, 2009, 2:04 pm

jetdoc wrote:Since she is Australian I took a check on Visa requirements there and item 29 seems to cover indiscretions even minor ones, so she should not have been surprised to learn USA has similar requirements.
so there you have it jack , its official , australia is not worth visiting !!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 14, 2009, 9:41 pm

Whether or not Australia is worth visiting is an individual choice.

However saint, you should have learned by now not to unquestioningly accept the unconfirmed word of other correspondents to Udon Map.

FYI, it is most unlikely that this woman, had she been a US citizen when she was convicted in Thailand, and had no other form, would have been refused a visitor (tourist) visa for Australia.
The character test

A person will fail the character test where:

* they have a substantial criminal record
* they have, or have had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct
* having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character
* having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character
* there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia, harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community, or represent a danger to the Australian community or a segment of that community.
See: Fact Sheet 78 - Controversial Visa Applicants

Substantial criminal records

A person is deemed to have a substantial criminal record if they have been:

* sentenced to either death or life imprisonment
* sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more
* sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more
* acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution.
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheet ... racter.htm

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 15, 2009, 3:43 am

anyways....she still ain't gonna see Mickey mouse and Goofy. :(

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 15, 2009, 5:30 am

beer monkey wrote:anyways....she still ain't gonna see Mickey mouse and Goofy. :(
No not in the US anyway. By the way, did you know she got payed about $30.000 from Womans Day for slagging off Thailand. Very nice little earner ;)

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 15, 2009, 6:28 am

Read that also Aardvark and that the proceeds were to pay for her trip to USA.So now she is asking for a Thai/English translation of the court rulings/judgements to see whether it is viewed as a felony or not. :roll:
Why doesn't the woman just give it a rest and spend the money on goofy products for the kids in Oz,take them to a part of Oz they have never been before for a holiday and for herself,buy some more bleach for her hair. :mad:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 15, 2009, 7:20 am

well , i always beleive everything im told by a grown up jack !!!!! but it was nice of you to confirm jetdocs post . although you seem to have a slightly differant , if not biased interpretation of your countries rules than most of us mere mortals . unless of course you consider a person who steals , lies , and is aggresive , as a person of a good character . :-s :-s :-s

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 15, 2009, 8:57 am

Selective reading again saint (no surprise, but).............sigh ](*,)

As you seem to be claiming some expertise on this question, here is one for you - would she be banned from entering the UK based on what happened in Phuket?

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » June 15, 2009, 9:04 am

Aardvak, where did you read that: "By the way, did you know she got payed about $30.000 from Womans Day for slagging off Thailand. Very nice little earner"

Not doubting you, just curious to read the article.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 15, 2009, 10:10 am

Sorry Rufus, tried to find it this morning but had no luck. Might have another go later but think either the Nation or Bkk Post.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 15, 2009, 10:31 am

She sold her story to an Australian women's magazine for a reported 650,000 baht and said she planned to use the money to take her three daughters, Zhian, 12, Daisy, 11, and Lilly, six, on a dream trip to Disneyland in California.
Here is the original article in the Bangkok Post. I remember speculation at the time that she was angling for some money from the press. That's why she insisted on prolonging the event, when she could have just filled out a police report and paid a small fine with no jail time. Also she hired an attorney from Melbourne, while she was in Phuket. Perhaps to negotiate with the press?

Now who's into conspiracy theories..... :-"

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 15, 2009, 10:56 am

Sounds like you just started one :D I can't stand the way people go straight for Litigation for the smallest things, and she's not doing her country any favours reputation wise either. Still she got the Loot, let's hope she doesn't get her wish :razz:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 15, 2009, 11:11 am

Fortunately, the trial lawyers have never gotten a foothold in Thailand. I can just imagine if that incident had occurred in America, there would be several multi million dollar lawsuits against the city, the police, the bar owner, and anyone who just happened to be walking by. Litigation has become a profitable cottage industry in the U.S., and there are a lot of millionaires populating resorts based on their earnings from frivolous lawsuits.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 15, 2009, 4:46 pm

jackspratt wrote:Selective reading again saint (no surprise, but).............sigh ](*,)

As you seem to be claiming some expertise on this question, here is one for you - would she be banned from entering the UK based on what happened in Phuket?
selective reading jack ? i just read what you posted , can you please point out where , or how i claimed any expertise on this issue . if anyone thinks thier an expert it gotta be you , with your , the country is not worth visiting post !!!!!!! as for whether she would be allowed in the U K , i would suggest you contact her majesties immagration for that answer . my personal feeling would be yes she would be allowed , as they seem to let anyone and thier dog in these days , but please understand this is my personal cynical view and not the official position . and as such , does not in any way reflect any official standpoint on whether this poor , victimised , australian , lieing , thieving , belly aching , money making , manipulating , old hag would or not be allowed into the united kingdom at this moment in time . now ,does that clarify the situation jack ? or is there something else you would like me to justify to you jack ? :-" :-" :-" :-"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 15, 2009, 4:59 pm

jimboLV wrote:
She sold her story to an Australian women's magazine for a reported 650,000 baht and said she planned to use the money to take her three daughters, Zhian, 12, Daisy, 11, and Lilly, six, on a dream trip to Disneyland in California.
Here is the original article in the Bangkok Post. I remember speculation at the time that she was angling for some money from the press. That's why she insisted on prolonging the event, when she could have just filled out a police report and paid a small fine with no jail time. Also she hired an attorney from Melbourne, while she was in Phuket. Perhaps to negotiate with the press?

Now who's into conspiracy theories..... :-"
Ahh....speculation!

Just like Udon Map, don't believe everything you read in the Bangkok Post. When I googled Ms Smoel's name, I could find no reference to her selling her story.

In addition, under Australian law, she would not legally be able to do so.

Finally, if she was looking to sell her story, she would more likely to be hiring an agent than a lawyer. Perhaps, just perhaps, the lawyer was because she was having legal difficulties at the time :roll:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 15, 2009, 5:31 pm

When I googled Ms Smoel's name, I could find no reference to her selling her story.
Not as infamous as i thought..this is all i could muster on a google search of her......(with the exception of 1 story when she first got captured)

Nice Smell..or A-Nice Smoel.....or how to smell nice..?

Then i realised i spelt her name wrong..... #-o

I too seem recall reading that she had sold her story...but can't remember where or find it either. :-s

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 15, 2009, 5:52 pm

jackspratt wrote:
Just like Udon Map, don't believe everything you read in the Bangkok Post. When I googled Ms Smoel's name, I could find no reference to her selling her story.
Curiously Jack, I didn't find the story either when I searched just on her name; just the original story of her arrest. But then I added "Disneyland" to the search string and got the referenced story. I have no idea as to the veracity of the information, or to the speculation they reported, as I am not wont to do research into every trivial article that appears. I just remembered reading it and someone asked where the article had appeared. In fact I believe my final comment about a 'conspiracy theory" indicated my suspicions about the "speculation".

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 15, 2009, 6:08 pm

Interesting how we all pick and choose which parts of the printed BS we wish to buy into. What I found interesting is, reading though the articles running in Australia, the folks responding by and large were trashing the lady. Not sure if some folks know a bit about her or it's just an Aussi past time. My thinking -- she is her own worst enemy as she doesn't seem to have learnt anything from the experience or maybe she is just dumber than dirt.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 15, 2009, 6:54 pm

Yes i have read them too lol, as i said before why don't her Husband take the kids she can stay at home and out of trouble, the answer is simple....the kids get a holiday to Disneyworld after all thats the main thing isn't it.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 15, 2009, 7:04 pm

unless of course you consider a person who steals , lies , and is aggresive , as a person of a good character .
saint, whatever I consider has nothing to do with someone's eligibility. But more to the point, it is not the test, on character grounds, for Australia - which if you had (fully) read what I posted, says:
* having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character
* having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character
My suggestion about your "claimed expertise" is based on this passage:
although you seem to have a slightly differant , if not biased interpretation of your countries rules than most of us mere mortals
where it is you (mortal or otherwise) who seems to have a different and biased (ie incorrect) interpretation of the Australian requirements - as you can see from above :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 16, 2009, 5:29 am

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1 ... er-mat-mum Here is the link for those who couldn't find it !

Return to “Thailand News”