Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Thailand news, views and comments
Post Reply
rufus
udonmap.com
Posts: 607
Joined: November 5, 2005, 12:37 pm

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by rufus » May 21, 2009, 1:56 pm

steveway2 wrote:If the owner of the Aussie Bar first pressed chages and thsi becomes known, then I thnik Aussies while give his bar a miss - I will.
snipped
Bar owner was on TV in Aus and seemed adamant he was dealing with a thief and that she got waht she deserved.
"Aussie Bar" is a name Ausssie will remember.
snipped
Steveway2, no Steve is no friend, but I have met him, and he is an ok person.
Secondly reread your original post - quoted for you above. "I thnik, (sic) Aussies while give his bar a miss - I will"
Why? Do you condone thievery? Your following comment is also condemnatory. So I stand by my original post.

Vlad, no I wasn't there, a friend of mine was and he phoned me last night about something else. Conversation got onto this issue. There were no "undercover" cops. There were a couple of off duty cops and the bar staff alerted them. I don't know whether a Thai manager or another of the Aussie Bar expats was there.



User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 2837
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by saint » May 21, 2009, 2:16 pm

i agree with universal and arjay , and to be honest i think the silly gobshyte got away very lightly . the whole point for her detention was in my opinion to let foriegners know that you cannot abuse the authorities in thailand like unfortunately you can in several parts of the world . good for the thais , thats what i say . having seen kids as young as 12 years old abusing the old bill in england , with no respect for anyone , i would hate to ever see thailand get anywhere close to that stage . ive seen people dragged down an alley and beaten by 2 police officers for throwing a chair into a fountain in ibiza , ive seen a guy get beaten with a batton for throwing a bottle into the street in majorca , and ive also witnessed a guy beaten and kicked by two police officers in cyprus for being abusive , so like i say i think she got off lightly . just because her behavior is accepted as the norm in many parts of the world , does not mean its accepted everywhere . and if the aussies dont come to thailand because of this incident , good ..... let them stay at home and learn a few manners and a little respect ....

User avatar
Aardvark
udonmap.com
Posts: 5766
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by Aardvark » May 21, 2009, 3:01 pm

saint wrote:i agree with universal and arjay , and to be honest i think the silly gobshyte got away very lightly . the whole point for her detention was in my opinion to let foriegners know that you cannot abuse the authorities in thailand like unfortunately you can in several parts of the world . good for the thais , thats what i say . having seen kids as young as 12 years old abusing the old bill in england , with no respect for anyone , i would hate to ever see thailand get anywhere close to that stage . ive seen people dragged down an alley and beaten by 2 police officers for throwing a chair into a fountain in ibiza , ive seen a guy get beaten with a batton for throwing a bottle into the street in majorca , and ive also witnessed a guy beaten and kicked by two police officers in cyprus for being abusive , so like i say i think she got off lightly . just because her behavior is accepted as the norm in many parts of the world , does not mean its accepted everywhere . and if the aussies dont come to thailand because of this incident , good ..... let them stay at home and learn a few manners and a little respect ....
That's pretty rich coming from a people renowned throughout Europe for there thuggery and bad manners saint, and lets not forget she was the victim of a prank. Lets also remember that any decent business owner who's livelyhood depends on the custom of his own kind should show some tolerance for bad behaviour, especially after her party had poured thousands of baht into his bar. If Australians are so bad as you suggest, why do nearly 100.000 of them move to our shores every year. I suggest you get back on your medication as soon as possible, or at least drink heavily :crying: To those Brits without anger problems, you are most welcome to our shores :D

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 10606
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by jackspratt » May 21, 2009, 3:08 pm

C'mon Aa - cut saint a bit of slack.

After all, his answer to every petty crime seems to be "beat 'em with a big stick, and kick 'em a bit. :shock:

Perhaps he was on his way to settle in Singapore or Malaysia when he got diverted in Thailand :D

User avatar
Aardvark
udonmap.com
Posts: 5766
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by Aardvark » May 21, 2009, 3:15 pm

:D Now that would be poetic justice :D

User avatar
archie
udonmap.com
Posts: 72
Joined: August 4, 2006, 2:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by archie » May 21, 2009, 3:49 pm

My sentiments exactly aardvark. If you look up bad behaviour, or low class in the dictionary, most of the time you will see a photo of a "POM"... Wake up you poor souls from that dark, dank and mouldy little country, whenever you see stupid, loud, drunken and loutish behaviour in public, who is leading the pack ? Thats right, "POMMYS"...

User avatar
beer monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 14553
Joined: January 1, 2006, 8:08 am
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 3:51 pm

steveway2 wrote: Bar owner was on TV in Aus and seemed adamant he was dealing with a thief and that she got what she deserved.

"Aussie Bar" is a name Aussie will remember.

Lesson for me: Behave properly in Thailand.
Rufus wrote:Steveway2, please get your facts straight. I have a friend who was there at the time:
Surely if thats what steveway saw on Oz TV that the bar owner was adamant he was dealing with a thief then thats it, that is what steveway saw..thats the facts on what he saw and thats what he posted..

Rufus wrote:The lady's friends put the bar towel into her bag. The lady was seen with the bar towel by bar staff and the police searched her bag. The bar owner did not press charges - he was not even in the bar at the time. The lady became abusive towards the police, a simple apology would probably have sufficed. She was then asked to accompany the police to the police station, (an apology would still probably have sufficed, but no). and she did a runner - the cops chased her down Bangla Rd onto the beach. At this stage they took her back to the police station where she became even more abusive. They put her in the clink to cool her off. No charges were ever pressed by the Aussie Bar, but by this stage it was too late anyway.

So before people blame Steve, one of the owners of the Aussie Bar, make sure you know what you are talking about and don't write crap.

And i blame the Drunken Aussie woman who showed no respect and acted like a lout...then bitched about it when she realised she was in deep sh!te....som.....Ohhh and her drunken mates who also should be up on a charge of theft and lets face it they admitted it to the world as witness's, open and shut case M'lud...send them back on a ship to Oz. :lol:
None of this would be in the news if she had acted as a normal grown up should, she would of got a ticking off and carried on with her drinking, and been back home with her kids on time.

and sounds like the keystones where on the beat.....chasing her around patong. ;)

User avatar
Aardvark
udonmap.com
Posts: 5766
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by Aardvark » May 21, 2009, 4:02 pm

If they played there cards right BM they might have got their leg over and gone all the way to heaven (hell) :lol:

User avatar
beer monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 14553
Joined: January 1, 2006, 8:08 am
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 4:16 pm

jackspratt wrote:Unfortunately, whether or not Mr Steve of the Aussie Bar pressed charges, is probably a moot point by now.

From reading reactions on other forums (? fora), he is far from the most popular Australian in Thailand amongst potential Aussie tourists. Whilst he will no doubt retain the patronage of the local Phuket hardcore, he may struggle to get any visits from the tourists.
And couldn't be at a worse time....as pooket is struggling getting tourists in along with the rest of Thailand...
people in the past have slammed the brits for recreating a bit of England with opening brit style bars/pubs just to be like home...Aussies are just as bad with Aussie bars,and Afgans with Afgan Themed Bars expand your minds go out further afield discover the real Thailand, get out of the Over priced Tourist traps, there is more to Thailand than ex-pat owned theme bars with Big TV's and Brown Sauce.......

*Brought to you not on behalf of the TAT.

Cocktail anyone..?

User avatar
archie
udonmap.com
Posts: 72
Joined: August 4, 2006, 2:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by archie » May 21, 2009, 4:38 pm

Gee you guys, i thought i would have recieved some death threats by now after my earlier remarks !!! You Brits are holding your tongues so very well. Well done OLD CHAPS... Just a bit of teasing from one of your old convict rejects i say...

User avatar
trubrit
udonmap.com
Posts: 6158
Joined: March 16, 2008, 12:30 pm
Location: Having a good time .

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by trubrit » May 21, 2009, 5:02 pm

archie wrote:My sentiments exactly aardvark. If you look up bad behaviour, or low class in the dictionary, most of the time you will see a photo of a "POM"... Wake up you poor souls from that dark, dank and mouldy little country, whenever you see stupid, loud, drunken and loutish behaviour in public, who is leading the pack ? Thats right, "POMMYS"...
Guess you've never been in the Earls Court Road area of London then Archie. Drunkeness , fighting , overtly sexual displays and skipping the bar bills. Thats only the Sheilas. :lol: \:D/ :guiness:

User avatar
Ter
udonmap.com
Posts: 730
Joined: June 6, 2007, 2:48 am
Location: Highgate/Sribunruang.

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by Ter » May 21, 2009, 5:11 pm

Have to disagree, there is a venue in kentish town called the church, it is packed solid with OZ and NZ guys and girls every sunday.
Some come in fancy dress or otherwise all get bladdered and are well behaved and have a great time, also the church organizes security from the venue to the tube station including looking after shopkeepers and alike.
The result is a well organized pissup and no fallout, London and elsewhere could do with a lot more venues like this one.
It's they same old good and bad everywhere.

User avatar
beer monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 14553
Joined: January 1, 2006, 8:08 am
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 5:20 pm

There is a Church near me...i might ask the Vicar if he also runs events like this one you talk of Ter.

User avatar
trubrit
udonmap.com
Posts: 6158
Joined: March 16, 2008, 12:30 pm
Location: Having a good time .

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by trubrit » May 21, 2009, 5:24 pm

Ter wrote:Have to disagree, there is a venue in kentish town called the church, it is packed solid with OZ and NZ guys and girls every sunday.
Some come in fancy dress or otherwise all get bladdered and are well behaved and have a great time, also the church organizes security from the venue to the tube station including looking after shopkeepers and alike.
The result is a well organized pissup and no fallout, London and elsewhere could do with a lot more venues like this one.
It's they same old good and bad everywhere.
I was of course posting humorously Ter, But I must admit your post was far funnier. The thought of all our Commonwealth cousins going to 'church on a Sunday night, some in fancy dress to get bladdered, had me in fits of laughter. As does the thought of the church wardens escorting the revellers to the tube station after.
Can you really be talking about the same sort of guys I know and love??? Guess it takes all sorts. :lol:

User avatar
Ter
udonmap.com
Posts: 730
Joined: June 6, 2007, 2:48 am
Location: Highgate/Sribunruang.

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by Ter » May 21, 2009, 5:24 pm

That would be an ecumenical matter BM not one I could get involved in. :D

User avatar
Ter
udonmap.com
Posts: 730
Joined: June 6, 2007, 2:48 am
Location: Highgate/Sribunruang.

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by Ter » May 21, 2009, 5:36 pm

Sorry Val, I meant to sat the Venue is called the church, though it is a converted church, and the security guys are all six foot tall muscle bound young lads with a different approach to handling drunks. I.E. passive :D

User avatar
beer monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 14553
Joined: January 1, 2006, 8:08 am
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 5:39 pm

Ter wrote:Sorry Val, I meant to sat the Venue is called the church, though it is a converted church, and the security guys are all six foot tall muscle bound young lads with a different approach to handling drunks. I.E. passive :D

Ohh...I best not ask the Vicar this coming Sunday then.

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8995
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by wazza » May 21, 2009, 10:34 pm

Wasnt it the Poms who got caught and got sent ??? or was Habious Corpious a waste of time,

Now then, this bar mat ! ( back on Topic )

Shown on Thai TV Channel 7 last night

The bar mat is a 2 meter X 30 CM wide long Bar mat, that covers a complete section of the bar
specifically designed for the Aussie Pub Phuket, the Aussie Bar staff showed how it is required to be folded 4 times, to fit into a backpack or very large bag.

IT IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE BOTTLE OR CAN BEER MAT !!!

she got caught and now crying.

No doubt will try and sell her story, slagging off Thailand etc, fortunately she was guilty, and thefore cant benefit from the proceeds of the story etc.

She got caught, Alcohol dilutes common sense and she has wasted the Consulates time and favours with the Thai's

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8995
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by wazza » May 21, 2009, 10:41 pm

Now then, Westers is blaming a DNA link to the UK for Aussies convict past, Van Diemans Land, AKA Tasmania, also imported some hard core Irish prisoners, So thanks IA !

So to Westers and IA thanks so much , lucky i can still cheat to get my qualifications !

Research from early this week

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25 ... 21,00.html

User avatar
beer monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 14553
Joined: January 1, 2006, 8:08 am
Contact:

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 11:04 pm

wazza wrote:
The bar mat is a 2 meter X 30 CM wide long Bar mat, that covers a complete section of the bar
specifically designed for the Aussie Pub Phuket, the Aussie Bar staff showed how it is required to be folded 4 times, to fit into a backpack or very large bag.

Its surprising what women can get in their handbags. :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “Thailand News”