The end of free bags?

Thailand news, views and comments
BobHelm
udonmap.com

The end of free bags?

Post by BobHelm » November 16, 2009, 12:39 pm

From 4/12/2009 all the major supermarkets in Puket will start to charge 2 baht for a plastic bag.
Save the environment? Well, I think if you believe that you will believe anything. :D
Not often a company gets the chance to play the good guy & increase their profit - expect this to move to other parts of Thailand is my guess.
PHUKET CITY: Some said it could never happen, but starting on December 4 most of the island’s major retailers will begin charging customers for plastic bags.

Already on board with the project are Central, Big C, Tesco-Lotus, Makro, Supercheap and Jungceylon.
http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=8004

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Re: The end of free bags?

Post by SanukJoe » November 16, 2009, 1:03 pm

The answer to it (and that is really good for the environment) is to adapt the system used in many countries: buy shopping bags and/or boxes, take them to the superstore and put your purchases in it. Makro and Tesco sell these bags, insulated boxes and insulated bags, that is what I know but I guess others sell it too.

I already take my cool box to Makro or Tesco, to keep frozen or cooled items in good order. I realize if you live in Udon and get home within 30 mins you don't need it, but for me a trip is always more than an hour and as the missus likes to eat before we go home by the time we got home it's about 3 hours after purchase :D

Joe

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 16, 2009, 1:26 pm

Not before time. I bought a few of the department store bags (AUD$1.00) over with me some 2 years ago and use them regularly, still going strong. I think they are charging 10 cents (3 Baht) in Aust. at the moment for plastic bags. =D>

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 16, 2009, 1:37 pm

I welcome the move. Plastic bags are a scourge along roadways and in many public places around Isaan. A sturdy canvas bag might cost 30 or 40 baht, but it will eliminate the need for hundreds of plastic bags.

Now if they can work on unnecessary, non-organic, excessive packaging.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 16, 2009, 2:02 pm

I took my recycle hesh bag to Tecsos to use in Udon, Supervisor got involved etc at the check out, all flapping , as they couldnt find the bar code scan ! they tried to tell me, im buying it !

Left all the stuff on the counter and walked off with my bag .

Walked past the big green signs at the entrance saying Tescos is green - yeah right.

My GF still has to tell them what they are for when we try to use them everywhere.

Before they start educating the public, educate their staff to recognise those people who are 20 years in front of them in their thinking.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 16, 2009, 2:05 pm

"Six months into South Australia's historic ban on plastic bags, an estimated 200 million checkout style bags have so far been stopped from entering landfill."

This is what Thailand needs to look at , and roll it out with a date of 2011, no more bags.

full story here

http://plasticbags.planetark.org/news/display/91

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 16, 2009, 2:30 pm

While living in Thailand I have seen things sold in plastic bags that I would have never thought possible. Drinks, soups and broths, sauces, icy confections, all sorts of papaya or cucumber based salads, fruits, coffee, condiments and the list goes on. Plastic bags are a standard delivery container. They are usually closed with a rubber band and then put into another plastic bag before handing it over to the purchaser.

I can see the major supermarkets having some impact on plastic bag reduction (a good thing), but I think it will be a very long time before something replaces plastic bags for many of the items marketed in Thailand.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 16, 2009, 3:00 pm

Agree Shado

The supermarket is where the Thais can make a difference to the land fill issue and where the Government need to aim its policies.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » November 16, 2009, 4:42 pm

But what will I put my collected garbage in?????

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 16, 2009, 5:12 pm

wokkawombat wrote:But what will I put my collected garbage in?????
You mean that you have not got one of those glorious bins made out of recycled lorry tyres & a hand woven job to take it there??

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 17, 2009, 5:33 am

I love having fizzy drinks (Pepsi, coke) with lots of ice in a plastic bag. It tastes so cold and refreshing.

It costs 5 cents for a plastic bag in Canada at the grocery stores, takeaways, etc. Paper bags for smaller items are still free.

Speaking of coke and pepsi, it costs $ 2.25 for a 12 oz. bottle of coke, and $ 1.75 for a pepsi at the university where I work. A large box of chocolate milk is $2.19.

At the high school where I work during the week, coke is banned, pepsi is $ 1.50 and the same box of chocolate milk is $ 1.60.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 18, 2009, 12:43 pm

Scheme has now been postponed for two months. Hope it is not a sliding two months...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=8016

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2009, 4:32 pm

The delay is to allow 7/11, the big stores and the general public to get EDUCATED ............. sounds to me that it's going to take a lot more than 2 months :roll:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 18, 2009, 4:48 pm

No its the time it takes to get the bar code added to the plastic bags they will charge for.

I imagine the manufacturer will be going overtime to get this new batch made with the code imprinted.

So lets get rid of the old ones first, coz we cant charge for them.

What ever my sceptisim is, the more bags that are reused and people using recyled bags , the better for Thailand.

If 1 state of Australia can save 200,000 million bags in 6 months, then so can Thailand.

It will be educating people to pack their own bags ( tesco plastics etc ) themselves to make sure they get more in them, than the current attitude of 5 items max and go to the next bag etc....

Lets hope they also offer for sale good quality recycled bags at the check out lanes, so people will be offered the oportunity, once they have to pay 16 baht for a trolley full,. even the Thais will work out, 5 trips will pay for a new bag etc

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 18, 2009, 8:37 pm

wazza wrote: If 1 state of Australia can save 200,000 million bags in 6 months, then so can Thailand.
in a week.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 18, 2009, 8:52 pm

Texpat wrote:
wazza wrote: If 1 state of Australia can save 200,000 million bags in 6 months, then so can Thailand.
in a week.
I suspect wazza was suffering from keyboard stutter when he wrote that :D

I am sure he meant 200 million \:D/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 17, 2010, 10:09 am

Well the much awaited new launch date of 14th. February came & the scheme was duly launched with some high profile officialdom in attendance, Unfortunately the actual aim of the campaign (to charge for plastic bags) is still on hold as the main 3 players in the business on the Island (Tesco-Lotus, 7-Eleven and Carrefour) still have not signed uo... :( :shock:
http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8361

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » February 17, 2010, 10:28 am

sadly its still not going to stop the local attitude to disposable plastic. You see at the Nong Na Kum market, people buying stuff drinking or eating it and then tossing the bag over their shoulder, its a sea of drifting "Blowing in the wind" bags after the market days.

Return to “Thailand News”