Another Military Coup.

Thailand news, views and comments
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Another Military Coup.

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2010, 2:17 am

One has to question the last two stabilizers on your list: the church and big business. If you mean religion, as in the Buddhist sangha, you are firmer ground than in saying the church. The church is for Christians.

Big business ? Maybe. But then Thaksin represents Sino-Thai big business. His many opponents would argue that he has not done much for stability lately, or in the past.

It might be argued that many Americans see stability through the President (in some ways like the old absolute monarchs), the Church, big business and the military.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 11, 2010, 2:52 am

A dictatorship is stable as well but not necessarily a good way to live. If the rich have there way in Thailand the poor people who are the majority will always suffer. But things are going to change because the poor will make it happen. Unfortunately there will be a lot of pain in the process.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 11, 2010, 4:59 am

dougness
udonmap.com

Post by dougness » April 11, 2010, 7:24 am

yeah,the Buddhist Sanhga.Thats what I meant Tilokarat.Any other government in the region would have cracked down hard on day one,so I think the authorities were patient.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 11, 2010, 8:01 am

If ,in fact,the people are so polarized in their divisions that civil war is the probable result of an inability to compromise and accept that no one group can have everything there own way,then a military coup is a necessary evil!

I agree ,democracy is not a viable option for some Nations or people!Especially those that ,don't understand the basic principles involved,
(uneducated and undereducated,people that accept ''class''as a way of life'',people afraid of confrontation,afraid to ask questions,people that bought the ''mai pen rai''attitude,those that don't understand the concept of taking responsibilty for their actions/efforts,people used to and accepting of ''being 'ruled'' and those consumed by greed and lust for power,status and the belief that corruption is an acceptable way of life)!

How many people allow their young children the ''rights'' of democracy in their everyday decisions about life?How many educated men would turn their entire financial resources and future over to their Isaan born and raised partner?

The birth and deverlopment of a country based on democratic principles,takes a majority of its people to accept the decisions of the majority that is a result of that system,whether simple majority or a coalition of minority groups that cause majority positons!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 11, 2010, 8:38 am

A Military coup? Surely , by definition, a coup is to overthrow a government? How can that happen this time when the military and its very big boss are not only supporters of the present administration but are the very reason its in power in the first place .Who are they going to kick out? :-"

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2010, 8:47 am

If the military has lost confidence in the current government's ability to rule the country, they could state a coup. It has happened many times in the past where the military has removed one government for various reasons, and given their support to a new civilian government. However, when that government is mired in corruption, or becomes unable to rule etc., the military will turn against the government that they initially supported.

I think back in the early 1950s Phibun staged a coup against his own government, but I will have to double-check that.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 11, 2010, 8:59 am

Tilokarat wrote:If the military has lost confidence in the current government's ability to rule the country, they could state a coup. It has happened many times in the past where the military has removed one government for various reasons, and given their support to a new civilian government. However, when that government is mired in corruption, or becomes unable to rule etc., the military will turn against the government that they initially supported.

I think back in the early 1950s Phibun staged a coup against his own government, but I will have to double-check that.
Which of course begs the question" Why have elections?"Why not let the army or its big boss rule? Burma comes to mind . :roll:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2010, 9:44 am

Before it was for window-dressing; however, a culture of democracy has grown in Thailand, as it has in Indonesia, and army coups do not look good for the country, business and so on. There is a prosperous middle-class in Thailand now, which developed just prior to Thaksin winning consecutive elections whereas previously Thailand lacked this larger number of middle-class people. Many of them abhor military rule, and want to see Thailand develop in the manner of a western democracy.The army is aware of this, which is one reason why it moves cautiously in political circles these days.

Indonesia had the same tradition of military meddling in politics; however, it has been quite some time, well, since the fall of Suharto, that the military has ruled openly in that country.

Thailand begs lots of questions....and there will be more to come.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 11, 2010, 10:16 am

Of course Indonesia does not have a family of very high position which meddles in politics behind the scenes, and their armed forces answer to an elected President. =D> =D> =D>

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2010, 10:24 am

Yes, Khun Jack, the families of Sukarno and Suharto are no longer heavily involved in politics outside of the daughter of Sukarno, Megawati; however, she is not a meddler in the sense of her father and his successor. Furthermore, Indonesia has problems living up to their Buddhist motto, pancasila (unity in diversity) in a Muslim country (santri vs. abangan Muslims). There is tons of diversity but little unity.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 11, 2010, 12:01 pm

trubrit wrote:A Military coup? Surely , by definition, a coup is to overthrow a government? How can that happen this time when the military and its very big boss are not only supporters of the present administration but are the very reason its in power in the first place .Who are they going to kick out? :-"
I certainly would not disagree,as I have no real knowledge,but it seems to me that the army is more sympathetic to the present gov't ,but not completely supportive,nor in direct control of them.

Thaksins removal,IMO,had much to do with his trying to restructure the powerbase of the army,which usewd his abuse of power and plunder of the country,to justify their ''coup'' actions!

It seems to me that the army leadership was considering the coup card as they refused this gov'ts initial requests to take action against the growing demonstrations!It might have to be a ''friendly coup'' to both get control through some appeasement rather than continuied force!

I don't think the PM is dancing to the armies tune anymore than he is to the other factions of his coalition that allow him to stay as PM.The fact that he does not have a simple majority must make his task unbelievably difficult!
:roll:
He is obviously intelligent,artculate and has great personality and demeanor,unlike his recent predecessors,including Thaksin.I think he is the type of person that Thailand needs for leadership!Of course,I could be completely deceived and he could be just as corrupt and self serving as the majority of the countries politicians are,as I see them!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 11, 2010, 1:04 pm

nkstan wrote: I certainly would not disagree,as I have no real knowledge,but it seems to me that the army is more sympathetic to the present gov't ,but not completely supportive,nor in direct control of them.

I don't think the PM is dancing to the armies tune anymore than he is to the other factions of his coalition that allow him to stay as PM.The fact that he does not have a simple majority must make his task unbelievably difficult!
:roll:
He is obviously intelligent,artculate and has great personality and demeanor,unlike his recent predecessors,including Thaksin.I think he is the type of person that Thailand needs for leadership!Of course,I could be completely deceived and he could be just as corrupt and self serving as the majority of the countries politicians are,as I see them!
Intelligent and articulate, of course , you wouldn't expect anything else from an Oxford graduate, would you ? :-"
As for dancing to the armies tune. I get the impression that he is very much dancing alone. looking more and more like a wallflower with every passing day. I actually feel quite sorry for him as owing to the multiple factions surrounding him, and their various demands, he hasn't actually been able to please anyone .Some of his coalition partners that jumped on his boat previously are now making noises that seem to indicate they, like the rats they are, are ready to take to the lifeboats.It is interesting to note that the Reds are not actually accusing him of any misdemeanour. They are simply saying he came to power unlawfully, by their reckoning .It is quite possible that if he had called an election, he could still well be the leader of the next government, as its sure to be another coalition. However by his actions now, I think he has precluded that possibility.On the leadership question. It is difficult to see if the reds should get elected and can form a government, who the leader would be. They have no obvious front runner and there is absolutely no way , as much as he likes to hope, that Thaksin could hold the reins, unless by having a proxy. It is after all , a very big family . :lol:

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 11, 2010, 3:19 pm

I certainly agree with you about him!

It is hard to tell,whether he would lose or gain some constituency in another election,as it is hard to tell whether the Reds gained or lost support through their actions!

I don't really believe that he can form a viable gov't with all these self serving factions that it takes to form a coalition!

I'm guessing that the army will ,once again,have to take control of the gov't to alleviate the civil unrest that will continue whether the Reds rule or the yellows rule!

I am of the mind that a democratic society where the gov't is the servant of the people is an impossibility as long as corruption is endemic and supported!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 26, 2010, 5:20 am

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 26, 2010, 8:21 am

Expect someone to comment that you can't believe Post! :lol: Never the less,this should give those of either side,or nuetrals,something to ponder!

Yes,a very interesting read! =D>

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 28, 2010, 1:39 am

Give them their vote and respect it! =D>

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 28, 2010, 6:22 am

Gen. Anupong has shown a level-headed and marked desire NOT to get deeply involved or take violent action against the Reds.. He retires around Sept. His deputy and prospective successor advocates forceful suppression and clearance of the Reds from the city... So, that doesn't bode well for Military/Civilian relations in the future.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 28, 2010, 4:36 pm

Do you think that will be the start of the shooting FrazeeDK, when the new boy takes over :-k

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 8, 2010, 4:32 am

Return to “Thailand News”