Thai government dissolved.

Thailand news, views and comments
trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 9, 2013, 9:21 am

The prime minister has just announced the dissolution of her govt. New election scheduled for about February next .
Here we go again :-"

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 9, 2013, 9:22 am

wow..thats a scoop Trubrit

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » December 9, 2013, 10:37 am

trubrit wrote:The prime minister has just announced the dissolution of her govt. New election scheduled for about February next .
She would not have done this unless it gave the government a tactical advantage.

bahn_nok
udonmap.com

Post by bahn_nok » December 9, 2013, 10:53 am

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 9, 2013, 11:25 am

rreddin wrote:
trubrit wrote:The prime minister has just announced the dissolution of her govt. New election scheduled for about February next .
She would not have done this unless it gave the government a tactical advantage.
You are probably right,but it would be nice to think she might want to stop the violence,or at least slow it down.

IMO,this country really need a BILL OF RIGHTS and a new constitution based on the main principle of FREEDOM OF SPEECH in order to be a good and real DEMOCRACY!The right to cast a voting ballot does not define a Democracy!

A real democracy attempts to fulfill the needs of the people first and foremost.That has never been the goal of the rulers! :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 9, 2013, 11:46 am

I think the only real positive to come from this show of anti-democratic pique by Suthep, and his backers, is the remarkable (almost) lack of violence.

It would seem the lessons of 2010 have been learnt by both sides.

I reckon that Yingluck has pulled the rug from under Suthep's feet by dissolving Parliament, and calling for a new election.

This would seem to have at some cost, because the Amnesty Bill will now lapse, as will, I understand, the 2 trillion baht loan scheme. Good riddance to both of them.

It will be interesting to see if the Dems/Yellows now demonstrate their democratic credentials, participating in, and pledge support for the results of the election - which ever way it goes.

Good luck on the free speech Stan - ain't gunna happen while the big chair is still occupied by the incumbent, and the suppression of free speech is to the political advantage of all sides of the game. Until it arrives, I doubt that Thailand can achieve true political reform. :cry:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 9, 2013, 12:18 pm

Maybe bad luck to all the rice farmers who may not be paid now, it may dissolve that scheme?

maikauzai
udonmap.com

Post by maikauzai » December 9, 2013, 2:34 pm

Thailand has become a political meat grinder. If the yellow shirts win, the red shirts want to overthrow the government; If the red shirts win, the yellow shirts want to overthrow the government.

Never ending story. Same old sh*t, different day.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » December 9, 2013, 2:56 pm

BBC news this morning yellow shirt protester says, they will not stop until all Shinawatra family are thrown out of the country?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 9, 2013, 3:13 pm

reddevil wrote:BBC news this morning yellow shirt protester says, they will not stop until all Shinawatra family are thrown out of the country?
Perhaps they should win the upcoming election, and then will be in a far stronger position to do so.

At the moment they are an undemocratic rabble.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » December 9, 2013, 3:33 pm

nkstan wrote:
rreddin wrote:
You are probably right,but it would be nice to think she might want to stop the violence,or at least slow it down.

IMO,this country really need a BILL OF RIGHTS and a new constitution based on the main principle of FREEDOM OF SPEECH in order to be a good and real DEMOCRACY!The right to cast a voting ballot does not define a Democracy!

A real democracy attempts to fulfill the needs of the people first and foremost.That has never been the goal of the rulers! :roll:
But what is a "real democracy" and what constitutes a Bill of Rights? Are there varieations?

I subscribe to the simple definition that the best government is a constitutional republic where the majority rules and the people of the nation elect their representatives.

As for a Bill of Rights, the U.S. early on instituted a Bill of Rights with the first 10 amendments. Of those ten the last two, the 9th and 10th amendments are totally ignored by elected and appointed U.S. officials as they restrict state power and control over the citizens. A Bill of Rights may only be a piece of paper.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 9, 2013, 3:43 pm

And the yellow shirts believe they can form government with bully boy tactics, lets see how they perform in an election, will they have the policy to gain power? If they loose will the yellows allow the government to run its full term? A good political move by Yingluck to call an election, hopefully the yellows will go home before they cripple the country, don't understand why they can't demonstrate or march with banners for a few hours or km's then call it a day instead of screwing the country.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » December 9, 2013, 6:31 pm

This will be an every 2 years thing until the politicians finally get the people themselves [Students vs. Reds?] into a civil war, at the height of which the main figurehead will pass away [?].

Then [maybe?] this place will either convert into a rice factory or playground for a certain major power to the far North.

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 9, 2013, 8:09 pm

I think we all need to get a few things in line regarding this discussion.
1. The yellow shirts (Peoples Alliance for Democracy - PAD) is not leading this movement although it is a participant.
2. The yellow shirts are not trying to form a government
3. The protestors consist of a number of different groups led by former Dep PM Suthep
4. The goal of the protestors is to rid the country of Thaksin style politics which resulted in the deaths of thousands of individuals during his reign and increased the level of corruption significantly. The numerous populist programs (especially the rice scheme) are being cited as contributing factors in the downturn of the economy. One only needs to drive around the country to see the huge mountains of rice rotting in warehouses with trucks waiting to offload still more. Additionally, the protestors see the current government as being totally controlled by Thaksin who has been described as the "puppet master".
5. The dissolution of parliament has done nothing to quell the protestors demands to rid the country of the Shinawatra family as this was fully expected move by the government. The protests will not stop until Yingluck resigns along with her government.
6. PM Yingluck has requested the return of the amnesty bill from the Palace as it was ruled unconstitutional by the courts.
7. Interesting analysis of what may be in the cards here: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_ ... 91213.html. The author seems to have an inside track on the political scene.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Post by Mudshark » December 9, 2013, 8:16 pm

Amazing Thailand!

I am told that Thai Airways, in the staff letter linked below, invited it's staff to join the Yellow Shirt march today.

http://m.sanook.com/m/news_detail/latest/1353075/

Very happy I flew back on Thai Airways yesterday from oversea's, not today.

However, it appears from this news clip that any day on Thai might be better than a day on United, if you fall asleep!!

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/usat ... le/3913521

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 9, 2013, 8:35 pm

fdimike wrote: 2. The yellow shirts are not trying to form a government
Exactly - they want to form a "non-government" ie a "royally appointed" council, which defies all concepts of democracy.

The sooner that Thailand moves beyond such thinking (and clearly, many have - even if they can't speak it), the sooner the country can progress.

Suthep is a corrupt thug - ie in may ways, no better than Thaksin. With his own agenda, which is highly unlikely to be for the better interests of the majority of the Thai population.

I have no time for Thaksin - as I have expressed many times on this Forum. But neither do I have time for mob rule (red or yellow), particularly when lead by the likes of Suthep. I previously had high hopes for Abhisit, but they have also disappeared with his latest "let's all resign" caper. [-X

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 9, 2013, 8:41 pm

Maybe your interpetation of democracy is not the same as theirs.

I've been involved in Thailand since 1970 and have yet to see anything resembling a democratically elected and functioning governement here. Maybe I just don't understand the concept.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 9, 2013, 8:48 pm

The definition of democracy is pretty clear.

Equally clear is that a "royally appointed council" does not fit within that definition.

Besides not fitting within everyone's desired outcome (including mine), how was the 2011 election not democratic?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 9, 2013, 8:58 pm

I don't think the definition of democracy is cut and dry. There is more to a democracy than simply being elected. The royally appointed council may not fit your's or my picture of a democracy but it may fit those who are trying to oust this puppet government.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 9, 2013, 9:07 pm

By any definition of "democracy", how would a "council" be more democratic than an election win by "those who are trying to oust this puppet government"?

There is no provision in the constitution (put in place by the coup "council") for a "royally appointed council".

Your apparent concept of democracy sounds a little bit like being "part pregnant".

Return to “Thailand News”