Buddha Issara's Mobsters at It Again

Thailand news, views and comments
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 9, 2014, 4:12 am

Yes, Henry the VIII had a very effective way to deal with dissenters who did not follow his religious instruction.

The Catholics, of course, used the Inquisition to get people back on the right path.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 9, 2014, 4:16 am

So do you think Theravada Buddhism has lost its way in Thailand?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 9, 2014, 4:27 am

No, but rogue monks need to be disciplined and cannot be running around acting in a political manner. Furthermore, it is clear that a number of monks are abusing their position in power to make monetary gains, and permit new ordained men to engage in social media without any consequences.

Whatever happened to that Surin (or was it Si Saket) monk who was accused of raping a few women, had a private airplane, luxury cars and so on. He was another member of the sangha sorely in need of monastic discipline.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 9, 2014, 4:42 am

So does that also mean that those leading the national religion are part of the establishment ousting the elected PM? Are the Bangkok elite, the armed forces, the civil service and others hugger mugger with the Wat dwellers?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 9, 2014, 4:55 am

I wouldn't say so completely even though the patriarch of the Sangha is appointed, I think. The problem might be that the most distinguished monks are very, very old and slow moving so it is somewhat difficult for them to discipline monks gone bad.

Furthermore, you will find some esteemed monks in the villages who side with the government; however, it is the appointed ones in the capital who have the clout.

Actually, I have not studied this very carefully, but it would be odd to have the Supreme Patriarch act against the elite people that appointed and raised him to this high position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Pa ... f_Thailand

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 9, 2014, 5:06 am

I understood the local abbot has a lot of clout. If he's practising sincerely, none of the nonsense occurs at his temple. The problem is when he's gone rogue.

I think the Buddha's idea was that the lay people are supposed to withdraw their support if that happens. Unfortunately that probably doesn't happen as often as it should because contrary to what the anti Thai brigade think, the Thais are a very tolerant people.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 9, 2014, 5:20 am

This is true in all of the Theravada Buddhist countries: Thailand, Laos, Burma, Cambodia and Sri Lanka.

In the former Ceylon and Burma, which were under British colonial rule, the British did not act as rulers in the other Theravada Buddhist countries and take the position as protector of the religion. Thus, a vacuum was produced and many of the monks in Burma led the political charge against British rule in that country. There was no-one to discipline them. This has continued to the present day when you have monks in Burma bashing in the heads of Muslims in various parts of the country.

In the past in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia there was a individual who act to purify the Sangha and root out the 'rouge' monks and disrobe them. So it is rather odd, in the Thai tradition, to see Buddha Issara acting in the way he does without someone in the Buddhist hierarchy not acting to discipline and remove him.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 9, 2014, 7:31 am

It's more difficult for me to see the Theravada Buddhist. principals in Thai people as I once did. I don't really know the principals of Budhism. But, what I have heard of them seem to be a good set of guidelines to live life by. Don't think they include murder stealing lying and cheating. Not all Thai's do that by any means. But, they are the ones we hear about, just as they only hear about our messed up people. The Puckett immigration decided to enforce the rules. Why the number of foreigners committing crimes. I'm sure he was including immigration laws in his view. But I remember thinking to myself before that happened sure are a lot farrang crimes being reported Almost started a thread on it. Doesn't paint pretty picture of us either.

This may be a rogue monk, but is that any different then most religions?

I think there is always a loose cannon somewhere in all religions.

Lann thanks the information I always enjoy learning from you
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » May 9, 2014, 11:35 am

Back to the streets
The PDRC warns it will invade government offices and lay siege to unfriendly TV stations Friday as it seeks again to clog up central streets in Bangkok for a multi-day "final battle", with the red shirts on the way on Saturday.[my italics]
Same scare tactics. [-X
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 9, 2014, 11:56 am

It's a great shame the current individual isn't a younger man in 2014. I hope the two elites from each of the almost warring factions can soon sit down and work something out before it turns to custard too much. Thailand has been doing well for some decades now despite the horrible politics. I guess the Thai elites would be resistant to an international moderator (and I don't mean Tony Blair). This has helped in some parts of the world.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 9, 2014, 7:32 pm

bumper wrote:It's more difficult for me to see the Theravada Buddhist. principals in Thai people as I once did. I don't really know the principals of Budhism. But, what I have heard of them seem to be a good set of guidelines to live life by. Don't think they include murder stealing lying and cheating. Not all Thai's do that by any means. But, they are the ones we hear about, just as they only hear about our messed up people. The Puckett immigration decided to enforce the rules. Why the number of foreigners committing crimes. I'm sure he was including immigration laws in his view. But I remember thinking to myself before that happened sure are a lot farrang crimes being reported Almost started a thread on it. Doesn't paint pretty picture of us either.

This may be a rogue monk, but is that any different then most religions?

I think there is always a loose cannon somewhere in all religions.

Lann thanks the information I always enjoy learning from you
Usually, in Buddhism, it is understood that the Buddha provided a path for sentient beings to follow if they wish to achieve Nirvana (Nibbana); however, it is up to everyone to decide for themselves (up to you) which path they follow in life.

There is philosophical Buddhism, which some of us in the West understand or like me, know a little bit about, and then there is folk/popular Buddhism in which the lay people act much as Christians do. That is they pray to the Buddha for wealth, happiness, good health, babies, to win the lottery and so on. Theravada Buddhism encompasses all of that as does Mahayana Buddhism (China, South Korea, Japan, parts of Vietnam). Philosophical Buddhists do a lot of meditation, and supposedly do not bother about the mundane things in life like money, sex, ego, etc. They have a greater understanding of the Buddha's philosophy than the everyday Buddhists we see going to the wat in Thailand, Laos, Burma and Cambodia. But, everyone is one the same path.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 9, 2014, 11:50 pm

You can't absorb Buddhism quickly, it has to be taken on piecemeal and practised until it becomes the norm. Your mind will always wander and become unfocused until you bring it back on line.

Thailand may be a Buddhist nation but you'll always have the bad eggs who don't follow, just like Christianity is strong in the US but there's always an element in the population that don't subscribe to the ten commandments.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 10, 2014, 5:07 am

bumper wrote: I think there is always a loose cannon somewhere in all religions.
There are plenty of loose canons amongst those who purport not to follow or practise a religion. People are human and very fallible. People who follow or practise a religion don't suddenly become infallible. They make mistakes and errors of judgement like others. It's also easy to misunderstand a religion or to adopt interpretations that aren't helpful or correct.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 10, 2014, 12:26 pm

This group tried to take over the CAPO offices didn't work out to good for them. Now they want to cry about it.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » May 10, 2014, 4:00 pm

There we go again:

The windows of the BMW were smashed and the driver given a sound beating because he hadn't strictly followed their orders.
The videos showing that have in the meantime been removed from youtube by the owners, probably scared of repraisals.
Last edited by Balthasar G. on May 10, 2014, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 10, 2014, 4:09 pm

What in Gods name was that all about. He was Sandwiched between other Vehicles, where the Hell could he go ??

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » May 10, 2014, 4:34 pm

These were the videos of the brutal attack

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 10, 2014, 4:43 pm

Been removed ...

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » May 12, 2014, 5:43 pm

Http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... quote]PDCR GUARDS ACCUSED OF ASSAULT
A pregnant teen woman has filed a complaint with police that her husband had been assaulted and badly injured by security guards of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

The complaint was filed at Phaya Thai police station at noon on Sunday by Nantawadee Maleechom, 17. Ms Nantawadee accused the PDRC guards of beating and stabbing Thanakrit Pinwiset, a 29-year-old ice delivery man, in front of Channel 5 television station on Phaholyothin Road late on Saturday night. 

According to the complainant, she was travelling in a pickup truck with Mr Thanakrit to deliver ice to a customer. It was raining at the time and the truck Mr Thanakrit was driving hit traffic cones placed near the roadside opposite Channel 5 by the guards because of poor visibility. 

Ms Nantawadee, who is four months pregnant, said after the collision a group of guards assaulted her husband and one of them stabbed him with a knife. She then fled in panic. Mr Thanakrit was admitted to nearby Ratchawithi Hospital at 11pm where he was treated in intensive care for a punctured lung and liver.[/quote]

Sadly a daily occurrence now

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 12, 2014, 6:04 pm

Well the Monk is going back to his Wat and someone left him a gift.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... wat-or-noi

Return to “Thailand News”