the tourist business suffering a downturn!!!!!

Thailand news, views and comments
cookie
udonmap.com

the tourist business suffering a downturn!!!!!

Post by cookie » April 1, 2007, 1:07 pm

Whow,
am I reading this right?
They admit that they have less tourists, and the tourist industry is hurt!!!!!!
This seems to me in contradiction with all the statistics we got from this government.
According to the statistics the tourist industry was booming!!!!
:^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o

[quote] Updated: [March 31, 2007 ] :: 20:20:20

TOURISM SEMINAR DELEGATES TOLD TO DO THEIR UTMOST TO IMPROVE PATTAYA

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 1, 2007, 3:52 pm

It's all about image, strong baht not mentioned.

747man
udonmap.com

Re: the tourist business suffering a downturn!!!!!

Post by 747man » April 1, 2007, 4:36 pm

cookie wrote:Whow,
am I reading this right?
They admit that they have less tourists, and the tourist industry is hurt!!!!!!
This seems to me in contradiction with all the statistics we got from this government.
According to the statistics the tourist industry was booming!!!!
:^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o
Updated: [March 31, 2007 ] :: 20:20:20

TOURISM SEMINAR DELEGATES TOLD TO DO THEIR UTMOST TO IMPROVE PATTAYA’S INTERNATIONAL IMAGE

On the day that a new President of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association, Mr. Jamloon, was elected for a term of two years, a seminar took place in Pattaya City Hall to address the pressing problem of the vulnerability of the tourism industry in Thailand.
From previously being a thriving business, the tourism industry has suffered a sharp decline, this year, due to bad press in the foreign media. Attendees at the seminar included those responsible for tourist safety, namely, the Tourist Police, volunteer police and civil volunteers.

The crucial issues which have resulted in the tourist business suffering a downturn include major assaults and murders of foreign tourists, petty criminals choosing tourists as easy victims and local shopkeepers and street vendors short-changing and otherwise cheating tourists.

Unlike other years, the fact that local crime has been aimed at tourists has received world-wide coverage in the media, largely due to tourist murders. The conference delegates were told in no uncertain terms that every effort must be made to remedy the situation and radically improve Pattaya’s international image, else tourism, a major money earner, will suffer even more in the future.
Its all about Robberies,Russian Mafia,and MURDERS on the beach,and Oh! The too strong Baht !! [-X :shock:

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 1, 2007, 4:45 pm

To criticize the Baht is to criticize the Government - which is not permitted at the current time...
Ain't Easy Being Me

ttom
udonmap.com

Currency matters

Post by ttom » April 1, 2007, 5:10 pm

Doc wrote:To criticize the Baht is to criticize the Government - which is not permitted at the current time...

The Thai Bath became in particular stronger against the USD and currencies strongly related to the USD.

At the same level, the EURO became stronger against the USD and related currencies too.

There is not much of a difference in value between the Euro and Thai Bath since several years.

The Thai Bath and Euro are staying at about the same level since the US government is accumulating enormous debts with Iraq wars and other (secret) battle grounds and surely the accumulated trade deficit since the Bush clan is governing the US.

China became by fare the largest creditor (= banker) to the US. If China starts to invests just a fraction of there huge currencies reserves in USD, in most parts of the world the lights can be switched off.

Since two years the Chinese are shopping around the world investing in more or less anything what could be worth thinking of. They don’t care about profitability since there own Dollar reserves are fading by devaluation too.

Criticising the exchange rate of Thai Bath is criticising the US government but not the Thai regime.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 1, 2007, 5:18 pm

The crux of the issue though ttom is that many people here in Thailand are complaining about the artifically high Baht - particularly those in the financial community and exporters. Last I heard was that some in the government hope to lock it in at 36 - but that is a way off I fear.
Ain't Easy Being Me

ttom
udonmap.com

Post by ttom » April 1, 2007, 7:05 pm

Doc wrote:The crux of the issue though ttom is that many people here in Thailand are complaining about the artifically high Baht - particularly those in the financial community and exporters. Last I heard was that some in the government hope to lock it in at 36 - but that is a way off I fear.

Yes. Well. Most countries are transfixed on USD. Industry contracts on commodities at medium and longer terms are bound to USD. Thailand is not an global import/export partner of true importance.

But some countries are changing there polices now slowly. Due to the huge impact it is a long process.

This page will explain any other question: www.brillig.com/debt_clock

It’s truly not fair to blame the Thai government for this. This problem is home made in US – and clear results of voters choices.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 1, 2007, 7:32 pm

The US is at the bottom of all problems. Gee do you guys get your jollies on that. If we are so bad why don't another continent jump up and take the lead.

There is an old saying: Either lead, follow or get the f out of the way!!!!!!!!!

ttom
udonmap.com

Plus ...

Post by ttom » April 1, 2007, 7:50 pm

ttom wrote:
Doc wrote:The crux of the issue though ttom is that many people here in Thailand are complaining about the artifically high Baht - particularly those in the financial community and exporters. Last I heard was that some in the government hope to lock it in at 36 - but that is a way off I fear.

Yes. Well. Most countries are transfixed on USD. Industry contracts on commodities at medium and longer terms are bound to USD. Thailand is not an global import/export partner of true importance.

But some countries are changing there polices now slowly. Due to the huge impact it is a long process.

This page will explain any other question: www.brillig.com/debt_clock

It’s truly not fair to blame the Thai government for this. This problem is home made in US – and clear results of voters choices.

This does not include the money owed by states, corporations, or individuals, nor does it include the money owed to Social Security beneficiaries in the future. If intragovernment debt obligations are included, the debt figure rises to $8.6 trillion.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 2, 2007, 7:58 am

The "bad press in foreign media" would include reports of the military coup and the numerous murders and bombings by southern Muslims. News of death and destruction in Thailand can be expected to have a chilling effect on tourist promotion.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 2, 2007, 10:56 am

And dont forget foreign Embassys like mine putting out travel alerts on Thailand, not wanting to be caught with their pants down after Bali.

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » April 5, 2007, 2:34 pm

These predictions are lower than the Thai predictions!!!!~

April 5, 2007 : Last updated 01:23 pm (Thai local time)

WB warns Thailand of falling private investments

The World Bank (WB) on Thursday revised down its forecast for Thailand's economic growth in 2007 from 4.6 percent to 4.3 percent.

Kazi Matin, the WB's lead economist on Thailand said that confidence Thailand's investment climate has hit a new low.

Following the coup last year, the military-appointed government has imposed measures that have shaken the foreign business community, such as the capital controls in December and proposed amendments to the Foreign Business Act in January that block loopholes which allowed foreigners to control local investments without holding majority equity stake.

- The Nation

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » April 5, 2007, 4:14 pm

banpaeng wrote:The US is at the bottom of all problems. Gee do you guys get your jollies on that. If we are so bad why don't another continent jump up and take the lead.

There is an old saying: Either lead, follow or get the f out of the way!!!!!!!!!
The day when the USA has to "get out of the way" is not a long way off, I think the crossover when China's economy out ranks that of the US is 2020.
I stand to be corrected on that as the information is a couple of years old.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 5, 2007, 4:17 pm

I did not know the date but doesn't surprise me one bit. Guess I will have to learn Chinese. :shock:

I will say that if folks think the US is arrogant, stand by if the Chinese do this. Could be interesting how they will handle press reports. :shock:

oldfield

Post by oldfield » April 5, 2007, 6:08 pm

banpaeng wrote:
Nice saying - I like it.

Is this like saying: you're either with us, or against us.?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 5, 2007, 6:12 pm

You are right Oldfield. It might not get desired results but if one really thinks about it we have lived with this most of our lives. I really do not think that most work places practiced the democatic ideas.

Get out on a highway in Thailand and you will understand this real well. You either lead, follow or get run over. :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Re: Currency matters

Post by Dakoda » April 5, 2007, 11:49 pm

ttom wrote:
The Thai Bath became in particular stronger against the USD and currencies strongly related to the USD.

At the same level, the EURO became stronger against the USD and related currencies too.

There is not much of a difference in value between the Euro and Thai Bath since several years.
ya right, someone should tell yahoo

Image :lol: :lol:

ttom
udonmap.com

Prospect is more than just bankers statistics ...

Post by ttom » April 6, 2007, 2:40 am

cookie wrote:These predictions are lower than the Thai predictions!!!!~

April 5, 2007 : Last updated 01:23 pm (Thai local time)

WB warns Thailand of falling private investments

The World Bank (WB) on Thursday revised down its forecast for Thailand's economic growth in 2007 from 4.6 percent to 4.3 percent.

Kazi Matin, the WB's lead economist on Thailand said that confidence Thailand's investment climate has hit a new low.

Following the coup last year, the military-appointed government has imposed measures that have shaken the foreign business community, such as the capital controls in December and proposed amendments to the Foreign Business Act in January that block loopholes which allowed foreigners to control local investments without holding majority equity stake.

- The Nation
For political reasons common people do not stay away from popular destinations, that’s an old experience. Even bombs or the odd government warnings are no true arguments pro or against a targeted destination. There is a long list of countries which otherwise must have been avoided by the masses during the past but they still enjoy both, large industrial investments and flourishing tourism.

Even Viet Name which is undergoing rapid challenges, both foreign industrial investments and tourism are on the rise. Or for another example look at China. Medium or long term business policies in both countries are not easy to follow. Money and know how is still pouring in.

Thailand is simply not en vogue anymore. The “exotic and romantic blue lagoon feeling” has gone. Especially after the Tsunami many parts of Asia are not “fashionable” as they used to be. That’s people’s choice. People vote by feet.

“Real” investments are internationally secured by BOI agreements. BOI cannot insure against business failures or management faults, but arrange anything else, including massive tax breaks. Recently introduced capital control measurements don’t apply to investments with BOI. The political main target was simply Ample Rich and other companies belonging to the same group of share holders around Khun T.

Since 2000 Chinese and Japanese enterprises are biggest investors in Thailand, both looking for skilled cheap labour. But both are seeing there future markets and work places also in India and the Middle East.

Industrial investors always like strong regimes and a suitable infrastructure. They do give a dam of the kind of government politics. They want less (environmental) restrictions, cheap labour and police controlled factories. Otherwise many Dubai, Myanmar or Bangladesh industries wouldn’t exist.

Tourism is always kinky. Hot destinations are outstandingly exotic, discretely erotic or just cheap. Like Seychelles or US, Cuba or Gambia, Philippines or Thailand.

Thai politicians and leading civil servants are not admitting these facts presently but agencies on second level are busy fighting at many fronts against this trend.

And every fashion is revolving. After a while, with or without promotions, Thailand might be really hip again too. Look at Singapore, a total police state. It used to be a sort of ง”never ever” 10 years ago. And today?, nothing much has changed politically but the Lion City is enjoying both, flourishing industries and booming tourism.

ttom
udonmap.com

If politics leads straight into troubles ....

Post by ttom » April 7, 2007, 1:58 am

banpaeng wrote:The US is at the bottom of all problems. Gee do you guys get your jollies on that. If we are so bad why don't another continent jump up and take the lead.

Read carefully please: www.dissidentvoice.org/Sept05/ringle0911.htm

The memo written by Thomas Gimble shall be publicly availible soon. Mr. Gimble was appointed Acting Inspector General of the Department of Defense contains many further details regarding US gov. actings: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200 ... mas_gimble

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Re: If politics leads straight into troubles ....

Post by banpaeng » April 7, 2007, 7:10 am

ttom wrote:

Read carefully please: www.dissidentvoice.org/Sept05/ringle0911.htm

The memo written by Thomas Gimble shall be publicly availible soon. Mr. Gimble was appointed Acting Inspector General of the Department of Defense contains many further details regarding US gov. actings: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200 ... mas_gimble
I said our Govt cause all the world problems. :roll: Remember when you point at someone you have three fingers pointing at yourself.

Have fun.

Last post on this stuff.

Return to “Thailand News”