Missing Boys in Caves.

Thailand news, views and comments
vlad
udonmap.com

Missing Boys in Caves.

Post by vlad » June 28, 2018, 10:20 pm

You may have been watching the news about 12 kids in a School missing in the cave system in Chang Rai up until today the search teams including thai navy seals have failed to locate them, its been now 5 days since they went into the system and i fear they have all perished as the water levels have been rising in the caves. Three specialized cave rescuers from the UK have flown into Thailand to locate them unfortunately so far they have not found them.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Re: Missing Boys in Caves.

Post by choi choi » June 29, 2018, 9:30 am

Yes looking serious situation now. I would imagine as the water rises, they forced move further in.
So frightening for them.They could last a month maybe with no food.Water is there.
The passages are so small they would have to ease their body around to navigate through.
In darkness! OMG Terrible. Only hope is they found higher ground.Finding them would be a success.
At least theycould be supplied with food and clean water. God forbid, but yes, think too late now
What amazes me is it's hardly reached world headlines!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Jonathan Head from the BBC has been there reporting since Monday.
This is his latest report.
The boys should have water and the temperature shouldn't be too cool.The main problems could be lack of oxygen and trying to find where exactly they are located.
12 missing boys in Chiang Rai cave.jpg
Strained faces and limited progress
By Jonathan Head, South East Asia correspondent, BBC News 28 June
The mud-caked car park which serves as a base for the search operation is more orderly now; vehicles are restricted, journalists must register for passes, and infrastructure is constantly being improved - new phone lines, power lines, and new pipes for pumping water out of the cave.
But this only highlights how long this search is taking, and how limited the progress has been, with strain showing in the hitherto stoical faces of the families who have kept up their vigil for the 12 boys and their coach.
We saw the first US military personnel bustled in and then out of the headquarters today - they are saying little about their role or capabilities.
Two top British cave divers went into the main entrance to see if they could get further than the Thai navy divers, who have made little headway so far.
Two other British cavers climbed the steep forested slopes on the other side of the mountain, and found a promising hole above a point they have explored inside the caves in the past; but it must still be probed by climbers with ropes. And even if they do find a way in, no-one knows if the trapped boys are in that part of the cave complex.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 29, 2018, 8:20 pm

Thailand news reporting one of the rescue teams have been electrocuted, I hope team found safe and well buy coach should be held to answer IMHO. In UK would also be facing the teams rescue bill!

LU
udonmap.com

Post by LU » June 29, 2018, 9:06 pm

Choi Choi wrote:
What amazes me is it's hardly reached world headlines!
This seems to be changing. I saw a report about this desperate situation on the NBC Nightly news last night. NHK news reported on it this morning as well. Glad to see a growing number of rescuers from around the world trying to help out. We are all praying for a positive outcome.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 29, 2018, 9:37 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 29, 2018, 8:20 pm
Thailand news reporting one of the rescue teams have been electrocuted, I hope team found safe and well buy coach should be held to answer IMHO. In UK would also be facing the teams rescue bill!
I read that someone fainted near a power cable and power was shut off on the assumption that there had been 'leakage' but AFAIK, nobody's been electrocuted.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

Tamara seems your right what was first reported on That news as an electrocution was in fact just a volunteer fainting

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 30, 2018, 12:21 pm

My last take on it is they didn't have enough oxygen to reach them. If that is the case would seem to be pretty easy to pre position tanks and then continue on. But, I'm not a diver.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 30, 2018, 12:27 pm

Latest I read is a SEAL team has reached a third gallery, just ahead of the last water-filled cave before the 'Pattaya Beach' area where the lads are thought to be taking refuge. Good graphic appended.
cave.jpg
Plan of flooded cave and chambers

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 30, 2018, 12:31 pm

bumper wrote:
June 30, 2018, 12:21 pm
My last take on it is they didn't have enough oxygen to reach them. If that is the case would seem to be pretty easy to pre position tanks and then continue on. But, I'm not a diver.
According to an interview with a Belgian rescue diver working on this mission, apart from the murky water, the currents are so strong they can rip their masks off so it is very dangerous and exhausting. It took him 5-hours for a 5000 m round-trip underground with bits underwater.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 30, 2018, 1:54 pm

bumper wrote:
June 30, 2018, 12:21 pm
Bumper, cave diving is extremely difficult and dangerous. These divers are having to carry so much equipment and back up gear (first rule in an emergency, Dont become another casualty needing rescued) plus basic kit for the kids if they find them then it would be almost impossible to carry more air tanks to pre-position. It would need relay teams of skilled cave divers to do this and sadly there does not seem to be enough sufficiently skilled divers to carry this out. Pray the rain stops long enough for the pumps to have an affect.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 30, 2018, 2:11 pm

Very sad, I hope the boys are alright but I have my doubts. Why go in a cave that is known to flood in rainy season?

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 30, 2018, 2:47 pm

On the way.
Attachments
Mae Sai 2.jpg
Mae Sai 1.jpg

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » June 30, 2018, 3:18 pm

The entrance should have been blocked.For the rainy season!
Heavy machinery bought in? Too late I fear.
If I was in that situation,God forbid! In Darkness. little air, confined space, .So claustropobic!
I would die of a heart attack! Awful place to be.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 30, 2018, 3:25 pm

jai yen yen wrote:
June 30, 2018, 2:11 pm
Very sad, I hope the boys are alright but I have my doubts. Why go in a cave that is known to flood in rainy season?
Unfortunately Thai's and water is an "Oxymoron"!

For what ever reason basic water education is not in their mind set???? They have NO idea of the dangers let alone the best way of escape/survival - whether it be sea, river or land.

Can blame no one other than their education system, corrupt governments, and dare I say it - the good general up there trying to collect "Browney" points for the Feb 2019 (if it ever happens) election"
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 30, 2018, 5:09 pm

I saw a post on another site.......a sign at the entrance warns of flooding......from July - ?Nov?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » June 30, 2018, 5:42 pm

parrot wrote:
June 30, 2018, 5:09 pm
I saw a post on another site.......a sign at the entrance warns of flooding......from July - ?Nov?
Correct Parrot ,i saw the same sign , as you stated July --Nov , BUT they went into it in June , possibly believing the sign is good ,

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 30, 2018, 6:05 pm

I sure wasn't thinking about currents

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 30, 2018, 6:17 pm

mak
udonmap.com