Upcoming Election on 24 March

Thailand news, views and comments
Natas

Re: Upcoming Election on 24 March

Post by Natas » March 25, 2019, 12:20 pm

tamada wrote:
March 25, 2019, 12:02 pm
So Natas, beyond your confession to not having an opinion based on the thread subject matter being something that only the locals can participate in and the outcome really only affects the locals, why are you persisting in banging on about it?

Rhetorical question (you don't have to answer it).
.... Because I fail to understand why people on here waste time on something they cannot control.
But again the world is full of bored people like yourself looking to get attention.
Nice run on sentence by the way. It was enjoyable to read.
As you were.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » March 25, 2019, 2:46 pm

From Twitter: Prachatai highlights some examples of crazy EC poll numbers as reported by media last night. In some districts turnout was 184% & 218%. Some candidates got votes higher than number of registered voters....... Amazing Thailand :D :D :D
Watch Me!!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 25, 2019, 10:00 pm

I thought the Baht would have weakened more with the confusion over the result

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 26, 2019, 12:43 am

A former Thai Prime Minister smells a rat in an opinion piece in the New York Times ...
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 26, 2019, 1:03 am

Total farce .. without independent election monitoring by ANYONE OUTSIDE THAILAND lets just say game set n match Mr O.. hes played a blinder n now all be it PT win on a vote count he will be PM as all his senator ducks are lined up paid n ready to say so ..

OMO
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » March 26, 2019, 2:13 am

I read these posts with little interest as it is none of my business as an U.S. citizen. However, I have pondered about the strengthening of the Thai baht and think that it may be greatly due to other countries damaging their economies to a far greater extent than anything done by agents of the Thai government. They do lessor harm. My great affection for Thailand and its people may bias me a bit in my assessment.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2019, 1:32 pm

Natas wrote:
March 25, 2019, 12:20 pm
tamada wrote:
So Natas, beyond your confession to not having an opinion based on the thread subject matter being something that only the locals can participate in and the outcome really only affects the locals, why are you persisting in banging on about it?

.... Because I fail to understand why people on here waste time on something they cannot control.
But again the world is full of bored people like yourself looking to get attention.
As you were.
Thanks for the clarification... as if it were needed. I gather that we can all now press on discussing things of absolutely no interest to you without you telling all us bored attention seekers how you find it all rather dis-interesting.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2019, 1:53 pm

TJ wrote:
March 26, 2019, 2:13 am
I read these posts with little interest as it is none of my business as an U.S. citizen. However, I have pondered about the strengthening of the Thai baht and think that it may be greatly due to other countries damaging their economies to a far greater extent than anything done by agents of the Thai government. They do lessor harm. My great affection for Thailand and its people may bias me a bit in my assessment.
Correct. We only see it as the strengthening of the Thai baht as we are only looking at the two currencies that affect us directly; in your case (and many others) it's the baht versus the US dollar. The Australians mostly see it as the baht versus their dollar, the Brits do have their Brexit delays as a prolonged depressor but still it's baht versus pound for them.

Economies are tanking globally but some will still say that their current poor ROE is due to manipulation by the the government, Bank of Thailand or other state entities.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 27, 2019, 2:05 pm

I would like to think that I live in a democratic country. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to drive anywhere here in Thailand and not have highways blocked by demonstrators. Roads are pretty well maintained and there is a lot of new road construction. In all the years I have lived here, I see more new buildings and houses being built and more new cars on the roads. Thai people must be doing OK because they seem to have money to spend. Taxes are not eating me up and the economy seems quite stable. It could be a lot worse. Even my Thai wife thinks Prayut is doing a good job.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2019, 6:06 pm

From what I have been reading there's some dissatisfaction with the minimum wage and despite high-profile signs of investment like high speed road and rail links to the eastern seaboard and nowhere else in particular, there are issues with rising personal debt and a growing gap between the have's and have not's. For every row of shiny new and empty shop-houses, there's a row of 5 or 10 year old mildewed and empty shop-houses that still haven't seen a tenant. Borrowing terms must be great if someone can afford to build it and they still don't come.

Even the perpetually low unemployment figures are showing numbers more akin with reality. Apart from the submarines and other toys for the boys, the junta does not appear to have done anything to secure much-needed foreign investment. By the same token, apart from the Chinese, there's probably not a whole lot of foreign money that wants to be seen to be favoring a non-elected military government, especially one that has very publicly stated that whatever happens, their constitutionally protected reforms and Thailand 4.0 cannot be changed for 20 years. Even China does it's national budget and planning in 5-year terms and the dynamics of economic change suggests that 5 years may already be a year too long for fixed policies. Thailand appears ill-prepared for the short-term let alone any long term, global downturn.

Natas

Post by Natas » March 27, 2019, 9:09 pm

tamada wrote:
March 27, 2019, 1:32 pm
Natas wrote:
tamada wrote:

As you were.
Thanks for the clarification... as if it were needed. I gather that we can all now press on discussing things of absolutely no interest to you without you telling all us bored attention seekers how you find it all rather dis-interesting.
Actually I find your posts dis-intresting to be honest. Keep trying to figure it out.. Cough cough.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » March 28, 2019, 2:44 am

Nothing has been mentioned in this thread about which I thought to be an important issue that is entirely in the province of the Thai government, that is the water management of the Thai nation generally and flood control specifically. I have not been reading Thai News for the past decade and I now hope this is a non-issue as the Thai government has established effective policies and provided massive funding to embark on major remedies to solve or mitigate this problem. So, has there been marked improvement through building and improving dams and levees? Have limited channels been been dredged? Has irrigation been expanded to promote the agriculture industry? Have these and other water management issues been properly satisfied by the various parties in power? Or perhaps the Thai voters are indifferent regarding this issue.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 28, 2019, 9:21 am

In the area where I live, Puan Phu, Loei. The irrigation reservoir has been enlarged to probably four times the original size. There are canals the stretch at least five kilometers from that water supply. My wife has some farm land very near one of the canals, that's how I know about the canals. I don't know about other areas. The government also digs ponds. An adjoining land owner had a huge pond dug. I asked my wife about it and she told me it was a government plan. My wife missed out on the free pond but she was lucky enough to get a small pond dug for a low price while the excavator was still near by.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2019, 6:42 pm

Natas wrote:
March 27, 2019, 9:09 pm
tamada wrote:
March 27, 2019, 1:32 pm
Natas wrote:
tamada wrote:

As you were.
Actually I find your posts dis-intresting to be honest. Keep trying to figure it out.. Cough cough.
Well I obviously can't stop you reading my dis-interesting posts so it's entirely up to you... again.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2019, 6:52 pm

Regarding the flood management, I think the late Rama IX made a big statement on expanding the 'monkey cheeks' concept of catchment areas up stream and maybe that what glalt and his mrs witnessed over their way? I did think that too much was laid at the door of the Royal Irrigation Department before and the 'Royal' maybe instilled a lack of oversight, proper planning or even just basic experience in what they were up against. They always seemed kneejerk with their, "OMG! The damns are full!" sort of announcements. Apart from the rather unique weather patterns of the summer of 2011, they didn't fill up overnight. Maybe they have a better handle on it these days or are working more closely with regional authorities and other relevant departments? As in most things, no news is usually good news but here it can mean that bugger all has been actioned or even followed up on.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 28, 2019, 6:53 pm

Natas wrote:
. . .

Says the guy wasting time reading what he doesn't like and trying to influence/control what others post by denigrating their opinions.

Maybe you're just bored. Or looking to get attention.

Your hypocrisy got my attention.

As you were.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2019, 6:55 pm

How about electricity mismanagement? Of those living outside the ring road, how many have low voltage issues in the early evenings? We get charged enough for electricity but the infrastructure always looks like a patchwork job, even new power poles are seldom straight!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 28, 2019, 7:32 pm

"Maybe you're just bored. Or looking to get attention. "

LS pls stop put up items that give more and more ammo

How many posts do you do a day? Now if that isn't an indicator of Loneliness or Boredom

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 28, 2019, 7:36 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 28, 2019, 7:32 pm
. . .

How many posts do you do a day? Now if that isn't an indicator of Loneliness or Boredom
To how many do you respond?

You're allowing frenzied emotion to control your online activity again.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 28, 2019, 8:14 pm

You have set a challenge oh Great One

Return to “Thailand News”