maya beach closes till 2021

Thailand news, views and comments
yartims
udonmap.com

maya beach closes till 2021

Post by yartims » May 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48222627

Thai bay that was made iconic by its appearance in the film The Beach is to remain closed until 2021.

Maya Bay, on the island of Phi Phi Leh, was temporarily closed last year after officials said a sharp rise in visitors had severely damaged the environment.

Before it closed, up to 5,000 people were visiting the bay every day and most of its coral died as a result.

Authorities have now extended the ban on visitors by two years to give more time for Maya Bay's ecology to recover.

the only good Tory is a lavatory

mak
udonmap.com

Re: maya beach closes till 2021

Post by mak » May 14, 2022, 9:31 am

Following last week’s announcement that Krabi’s Maya Bay will close from August to September, other national park tourist attractions in the province also plan to temporarily close for restoration. The Mu Ko Lanta National Park has announced in a legal notice that several islands under its control will close from May

Meanwhile on another Krabi island, Koh Phi Phi Leh, the famous, and hugely popular, Maya Bay will close from August to September, also to help recover its wildlife.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 14, 2022, 5:12 pm

mak wrote:
May 14, 2022, 9:31 am
Following last week’s announcement that Krabi’s Maya Bay will close from August to September, other national park tourist attractions in the province also plan to temporarily close for restoration. The Mu Ko Lanta National Park has announced in a legal notice that several islands under its control will close from May

Meanwhile on another Krabi island, Koh Phi Phi Leh, the famous, and hugely popular, Maya Bay will close from August to September, also to help recover its wildlife.
How in the name of Holy Hell do they work out that a 2 month rest will recover wildlife? Maya was closed for nearly 18 months and there were signs of a recovery but 2 months!!! Another piece of poo by TAT

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 14, 2022, 5:23 pm

Then being what appears you being the expert on wildlife recovery what actions would you take, Alexi??

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 15, 2022, 7:36 am

No expert Doodoo, but its pretty bloody obvious that shutting it for 8 weeks is going to achieve sweet FA.
First thing is to ban all 'booze boat' trips, then work out main breeding seasons for turtles etc and have the beach closed for a minimum period to suit that.
For me, only open the beach for 2 months, Dec and Jan, the real high season as long as these months are outwith breeding seasons, ban all plastic products and police that properly, have a properly controlled maximum number of visitors per day when the beach is open, would be starters. I know people depend on tourists for a living but if you want to preserve the beach and its surrounding environment that's just tough ( they survived a shutdown of more than 18 months) Or you can just make it the same free for all and turn it back into the cess pit it was.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 15, 2022, 11:43 am

AlexO wrote:
May 15, 2022, 7:36 am
No expert Doodoo, but its pretty bloody obvious that shutting it for 8 weeks is going to achieve sweet FA.
First thing is to ban all 'booze boat' trips, then work out main breeding seasons for turtles etc and have the beach closed for a minimum period to suit that.
For me, only open the beach for 2 months, Dec and Jan, the real high season as long as these months are outwith breeding seasons, ban all plastic products and police that properly, have a properly controlled maximum number of visitors per day when the beach is open, would be starters. I know people depend on tourists for a living but if you want to preserve the beach and its surrounding environment that's just tough ( they survived a shutdown of more than 18 months) Or you can just make it the same free for all and turn it back into the cess pit it was.
totally agree Alex, or to put it simply proper management run by marine biologists/park rangers. people go for the beauty and the wildlife. before the lockdown i met a few people that described it as a nonsense hole over run with tourists ,conmen and rubbish. a total letdown
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 15, 2022, 12:20 pm

papafarang wrote:
May 15, 2022, 11:43 am
AlexO wrote:
May 15, 2022, 7:36 am
totally agree Alex, or to put it simply proper management run by marine biologists/park rangers. people go for the beauty and the wildlife. before the lockdown i met a few people that described it as a **** hole over run with tourists ,conmen and rubbish. a total letdown
Thanks Dean
More than 25 years ago I started to do scuba liveaboards diving on the Similan's and else where in the Andeman. Most sites and bays we dived on were pristine with only a few signs of explosive fishing by Sea Gypsy's. Last time I dived there was about 7 years ago. Place had been invaded by the fast jet mob who could do the trip and back from Phuket in a day easily. Sea bed covered in plastic drinks cups, sewage floating on the surface, coral damaged, basically just a mess.
Turned paradise into the usual mess that mass tourism brings. An example, on the liveaboards there was an unwritten rule that you did not empty the toilet tanks anywhere but the open sea, totally ignored by the day trip boats hence the floating poo in the bays where tourists snorkel. No thanks batman.

Return to “Thailand News”