rich indians to the rescue of thai tourism

Thailand news, views and comments
yartims
udonmap.com

rich indians to the rescue of thai tourism

Post by yartims » July 8, 2019, 8:32 pm

Bloomberg) -- Thailand’s struggling tourism industry is finding support with visitors from the population colossus to its west, just as the years of bumper arrivals from the giant to its north are beginning to wane.At a beachfront hotel on the tropical island of Phuket, the occupancy rate from Chinese clientele has stalled, while bookings from India have begun to rise. The Vijitt Resort is one of many in Thailand that has more cause for optimism.“We’re starting to see new growth,” said Kongsak Khoopongsakorn, Vijitt’s general manager and vice president of the Thai Hotels Association. “Indians are now driving industry growth like the Chinese had previously done.”What’s happening to Thai tourism could prove a canary in the coal mine for the leisure sector in other Asian economies as China matures and a new India emerges. The Thai industry had been expanding at about about 10% a year on escalating inbound Chinese arrivals, but a 2018 boat accident in Phuket that killed dozens of mainlanders and a slowing economy at home have triggered a drop in numbers.In contrast, Indian arrivals accelerated in recent months due to more direct flights, a visa waiver and, most importantly, increasing wealth.The rapid expansion of the middle class among India’s 1.3 billion people has prompted Thai authorities to upgrade their estimates of Indian visitors. At least 10 million are now expected to arrive in 2028, a more than five-fold increase on 2018 visits. That sort of growth trajectory would mimic the rise of Chinese tourists, who jumped from 800,000 in 2008 to more than 10 million last year.Although China will remain an important market, it is likely to offer less growth potential in the years ahead. India, meanwhile, is set to become the new expansion story in Thai tourism, an industry that accounts for about 20% of gross domestic product.Chinese visitors currently make up 28% of total foreign arrivals, well ahead of Indians at 4%. But within a decade, Indian arrivals are forecast to surge to about 15% of the total, while Chinese are predicted to edge up to about 30%.“The Indian inbound market could potentially rival that of China,” said Pisit Puapan, executive director of the Finance Ministry’s Macroeconomic Policy Bureau. Pisit said high growth from India has also helped offset a decline from markets like Europe.Chinese arrivals could actually fall this year from 2018 as the yuan has weakened against the baht, according to Bloomberg Intelligence. That might deter more cost-conscious Chinese tourists, or see them spend less if they do make the trip.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/phuke ... 51439.html

the only good Tory is a lavatory

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: rich indians to the rescue of thai tourism

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 8, 2019, 9:13 pm

And, what is your opinion? I haven't noticed many Indian tourists yet, but I've only been back in Thailand for a week. There were some Indians on my KLM Amsterdam-Bangkok flight; however, they seemed to destined for elsewhere.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Hans Rasmussen

Post by Hans Rasmussen » July 9, 2019, 12:14 pm

Pattaya is crawling with Indians. Walking 10-12 persons in the MIDDLE of the street.
They think they are still in Mumbai - walking with the cows. And they have no money. 3 to share bottle
of Leo..

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 9, 2019, 3:52 pm

Hans Rasmussen wrote:
July 9, 2019, 12:14 pm
Pattaya is crawling with Indians. Walking 10-12 persons in the MIDDLE of the street.
They think they are still in Mumbai - walking with the cows. And they have no money. 3 to share bottle
of Leo..
Get use to it, there are many more coming!!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 9, 2019, 4:03 pm

Disproportionately males? In Pattaya, I suppose yes.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 9, 2019, 5:16 pm

Hans Rasmussen wrote:
July 9, 2019, 12:14 pm
of Leo..
You are being too kind :-k

Thailand have no idea of what they are getting into, going down this path [-X [-X [-X

Its not about how many tourists come in (numbers), its about what that tourist does when in Country, plus how much an individual touristst actually spends/puts back into the Thai society per day and also what he/she actually spends it on while there.

In the long run, Thailand will regret going down this path

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 9, 2019, 8:20 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 8, 2019, 9:13 pm
And, what is your opinion? I haven't noticed many Indian tourists yet, but I've only been back in Thailand for a week. There were some Indians on my KLM Amsterdam-Bangkok flight; however, they seemed to destined for elsewhere.
Izzie seems a bit shy Uncle, so maybe my opinion will be of some help.

Given that Indians seem to have lived here for a long time - certainly as long as I have been visiting, and now living here - and their tourism numbers have exceeded Germans/French/Americans/Poms/Swedes/Aussies etc etc since at least 2016, I can only see it as being of benefit to Thailand, particularly in light of the falling numbers of Chinese. =D>

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » July 10, 2019, 12:57 am

they all get a spoon full of leo between them

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 10, 2019, 3:22 am

jackspratt wrote:
July 9, 2019, 8:20 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 8, 2019, 9:13 pm
Izzie seems a bit shy Uncle, so maybe my opinion will be of some help.

Given that Indians seem to have lived here for a long time - certainly as long as I have been visiting, and now living here - and their tourism numbers have exceeded Germans/French/Americans/Poms/Swedes/Aussies etc etc since at least 2016, I can only see it as being of benefit to Thailand, particularly in light of the falling numbers of Chinese. =D>
Apparently Indians have lived here for thousands of years .
However the recent influx of Indian tourist will only benefit the TAT figures , and not the economy much .
Much like the better class of Chinese tourist did a couple of years ago .
Tourism is on the wane , with the strong Baht not helping at all , but as long as those arrival numbers keep going up , everything is hunky dory . NOT . But the Thai authorities survive on smoke and mirrors .
First the Russians , then the Chinese ,now the Indians are going to be their saviour . I dont think so .

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » July 10, 2019, 7:26 am

Being of a very logical mind I ask myself "Why would a Rich Indian, or rich any nationality, want to come to Thailand"?
I am here enjoying my stay, undoubtably, but I am not any where near being described as being rich and my precise reason for doing so is because my limited finances enable me to enjoy many pleasures I certainly couldn't back home or anywhere else in the playgrounds of Europe. If I was truly rich my favourite was always St Tropez or the French riveria. I would be back there like a shot.you really couldn't compare the two, could you ?.I know you can get excellent service in the better hotels in Bangkok but you still have to step outside into the heat and chaos of the place and quite frankly if you,ve got the bread to stay in one of them, you can get just as excellent service anywhere else in the world, yes including London, look at all the oil sheiks oround the place in their super cars , they couldn't bring them here .
Face up to it TAT, Thailand is attractive to those without much money, thats why the're here and your rapidly losing that advantage with the current value of the baht .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 10, 2019, 7:50 am

Old Grumpy wrote:
July 10, 2019, 7:26 am
Being of a very logical mind I ask myself "Why would a Rich Indian, or rich any nationality, want to come to Thailand"?
I am here enjoying my stay, undoubtably, but I am not any where near being described as being rich and my precise reason for doing so is because my limited finances enable me to enjoy many pleasures I certainly couldn't back home or anywhere else in the playgrounds of Europe. If I was truly rich my favourite was always St Tropez or the French riveria. I would be back there like a shot.you really couldn't compare the two, could you ?.I know you can get excellent service in the better hotels in Bangkok but you still have to step outside into the heat and chaos of the place and quite frankly if you,ve got the bread to stay in one of them, you can get just as excellent service anywhere else in the world, yes including London, look at all the oil sheiks oround the place in their super cars , they couldn't bring them here .
Face up to it TAT, Thailand is attractive to those without much money, thats why the're here and your rapidly losing that advantage with the current value of the baht .
Totally agree, well said.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

Old Grumpy says if he had the dough , he would spend his twilight years in St Tropaz .
My first choice would be Positano on the Amalfi coast , western Italy . Where would be your dream retirement home ?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 10, 2019, 7:56 pm

Blooming heck .. TAT are banking on rich indians to take up the shortfall of other nations now staying away for whatever reasons ..
I can only hope the new Indian generation they are expecting are better tourists than the ones i encountered whilst having the business in Pattaya ..
Typically
They arrive on mass 10 guys not unusual
Once in they preceeded to order a bottle of water or even coke if you were lucky BETWEEN THE WHOLE GROUP ..
they would molest our staff , nobody was spared dancers , hostesses service even the mamasan .. groping fondling n fingering as many different females as poss then
refuse to pay n leave ..
we had good doormen and even EVEN THO TERRIBLY RACIST and something i am deeply ashamed of to this day :^o had a sign made in THAI that stated fine for taking photos 500 bt .. but when a group of indians arrived the doormen would point to the sign n say members only day visitor 500bt per person to which they all quickly moved along .
Our ladies of the night always commented .. i recall Kat .. surin stunner ..she had her own ideas n rules ..eurpean americans everyone ok except middle eastern and Indians .. including Turks for some reason as it always turned out bad .. her fav were chinese , Japs , Koreans n Taiwanase 3 3 3 .. 3 inches 3 minute 3 thousand !!

Gord help all unsundry ladies business owners in Patts if they are banking on these high rollers to fill the abyss.

sorry forgot ..there isnt any P************* in Pattaya its been stamped out ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 10, 2019, 7:56 pm
Blooming heck .. TAT are banking on rich indians to take up the shortfall of other nations now staying away for whatever reasons ..
I can only hope the new Indian generation they are expecting are better tourists than the ones i encountered whilst having the business in Pattaya ..
Typically
Once in they preceeded to order a bottle of water or even coke if you were lucky BETWEEN THE WHOLE GROUP ..
they would molest our staff , nobody was spared dancers , hostesses service even the mamasan .. groping fondling n fingering as many different females as poss then
refuse to pay n leave ..
we had good doormen and even EVEN THO TERRIBLY RACIST and something i am deeply ashamed of to this day :^o had a sign made in THAI that stated fine for taking photos 500 bt .. but when a group of indians arrived the doormen would point to the sign n say members only day visitor 500bt per person to which they all quickly moved along .
Our ladies of the night always commented .. i recall Kat .. surin stunner ..she had her own ideas n rules ..eurpean americans everyone ok except middle eastern and Indians .. including Turks for some reason as it always turned out bad .. her fav were chinese , Japs , Koreans n Taiwanase 3 3 3 .. 3 inches 3 minute 3 thousand !!

Gord help all unsundry ladies business owners in Patts if they are banking on these high rollers to fill the abyss.

DM
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism ... ral-online

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 11, 2019, 1:19 am

saint wrote:
July 10, 2019, 2:10 pm
Old Grumpy says if he had the dough , he would spend his twilight years in St Tropaz .
My first choice would be Positano on the Amalfi coast , western Italy . Where would be your dream retirement home ?
With enough cash the world is your lobster .. DM would take a punt in see out his twilight years in

THAILAND

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 11, 2019, 12:56 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 10, 2019, 7:56 pm
Typically
refuse to pay n leave ..

DM
Now Kat will still have her 3 3 3 . 3 Indians 3 minutes 300 baht .

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » July 11, 2019, 6:33 pm

st tropez gets very crowded in summer you cant move around

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 12, 2019, 7:13 am

Maybe thats where all the missing Thai visitors are now going !Never mind , the Indians are going to save Thailand .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Was reading yesterday guy from the TAT finally giving some more realistic information reference European tourist nubers and its was grim .. 25 to 30 % down on last year and last year had already seen a down turn in arrivals.

The official commented on empty bars restaurant night clubs beaches and hotels .. and in his opinion the best days of Pattaya with regard to euorpean is over .

PATTAYA is on its arse .. its confirmed so thay are gonnaneed all thses high rolling scatter cash curry munchers to take up the slack .. good luck with that ..

I hope Kat will manage and some how bite the bullet on her rules regarding her occupation :lol: :lol:

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 12, 2019, 8:29 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 12, 2019, 8:22 am
Was reading yesterday guy from the TAT finally giving some more realistic information reference European tourist nubers and its was grim .. 25 to 30 % down on last year and last year had already seen a down turn in arrivals.

The official commented on empty bars restaurant night clubs beaches and hotels .. and in his opinion the best days of Pattaya with regard to euorpean is over .

PATTAYA is on its arse .. its confirmed so thay are gonnaneed all thses high rolling scatter cash curry munchers to take up the slack .. good luck with that ..

I hope Kat will manage and some how bite the bullet on her rules regarding her occupation :lol: :lol:
What a good laugh this morning Jon. A real hoot!!! =D>

Return to “Thailand News”