Rebels open fire on school bus

Thailand news, views and comments
laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 11, 2007, 11:13 am

AP and Issara News Centre
Eight Muslim students and the bus driver were wounded when suspected insurgents fired point-blank into a school bus in Yala on Sunday.

Police Lt Dularit Chuchae said the bus was driving the students - aged between 13 and 18 years - home from a private Islamic school in Yaha district when assailants in a pick-up truck opened fire on them, seriously wounding the driver.

Pol Lt Dularit said initial investigations indicated the assailants were targeting the bus driver, who is also a member of an armed civilian defence force hired by the government to support security personnel in the insurgency-wracked southern provinces.

The insurgency in the southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat has led to more than 2,300 deaths in the past three-and-a-half years.

In other attacks, a 29-year-old man was shot dead while riding a motorcycle in Ban Luk Khao in Narathiwat's Rangae district yesterday.

Malaseng Ma was killed instantly after he was shot at by attackers armed with assault rifles who were thought to have been hiding by the side of the road.

In Pattani province, the army has agreed to pay 850,000 baht in compensation to each of the families of two teenagers shot dead by soldiers in Ban Bana in Muang district on April 13.

Two other teenagers disabled in the same shooting will receive 1.7 million baht each and two other injured teenagers will get 250,000 baht each. The names of the victims were withheld by authorities.

In addition, each individual is eligible for compensation for emotional distress of 40,000 baht.

A quarter of the compensation will be paid today.

Pattani governor Phanu Uthairat said soldiers mistook the teenagers for militants who had just torched public phone booths in a nearby area. However, the kids were in fact just playing in their village.

The governor said he would ensure that all villagers received justice and said relevant prosecution was underway.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/t ... ?id=119361

Ok, I need some help with this one. Actually I could care less about what is happening in the south, let them all kill each other. Obviously those killing aren

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 11, 2007, 12:34 pm

Its easier to kill little children than armed soldiers, and gets more press to boot. I still believe in Carma, but I wish it would kick in a lot quicker :mad: :mad:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Rebels open fire on school bus

Post by jackspratt » June 11, 2007, 12:37 pm

laphanphon wrote: Because the way I see the solution is, again, go house to house, do you have thai id, no, out back, bullet in the head, next.
:shock:

Were you by any chance Thaksin's special adviser during the War on Drugs?

Return to “Thailand News”