Phuket Sandbox

Thailand news, views and comments
Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Phuket Sandbox

Post by Giggle » July 10, 2021, 6:17 pm

It's paradise, what is everyone complaining about?

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » July 10, 2021, 6:32 pm

So here we are.
surprise surprise,
can anybody explain to me in logical words why the hell they close ALL schools IF Phuket sandbox is a safe place to spend two weeks of holidays on the island?
what about the 70% vaxx of the population as a precondition to the sandbox?
what about teachers and the like?
i must confess i am quite speechless…
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/all- ... d-19-fears

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » July 10, 2021, 8:26 pm

10-07-_2021_15-26-00.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 10, 2021, 9:41 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 7, 2021, 3:20 pm
Niggly wrote:
July 7, 2021, 2:53 pm
From today’s government presentation
The CCSA are asking for people to avoid interprovincial travel in order to stop the spread of #COVID19 around the country. People living in the red and dark red zones are urged to #StayHome or at least in their own province. This is not the time for a holiday
Seems to be at odds with the Phuket TAT trying to get 500,000 domestic travellers to visit the island doesn’t it?
Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted ... same as last Songhkran only this time its all the transient construction n factory workers who headed home to their villages from Bkk.. with covid hitching a ride.

YCMTSU
Cant just blame the factory workers DM
I've just watched a Youtube video made by a farang who panicked on Friday that they might impose a lockdown which would prevent him traveling ...... what does he do, makes a twelve hour journey to Don Sak in a songthaw (complete with his motorbike) to visit "friends" in Samui.
Just to add insult to his selfish attitude he made several vlogs on route with him and on one occasion the driver as well not wearing their masks even though there were TWO of them traveling in the vehicle =;
Can hardly attach any more blame to the jobless construction workers for doing exactly what this selfish idiots done .......in fact given it cost him B10000 plus I'm sure most of the factory workers would happily have stayed put for that amount of money

It won't happen but it would be lovely Karma is the Samui authorities did a Koh Samet and closed the island, giving non permanent residents 24 hrs to head back to the mainland

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 11, 2021, 12:09 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 7, 2021, 9:23 pm
Not entirely un-expected. Had a probability chance of 99.9% =; Just sooner, rather than later. :fryingpan:

So one guy flying into the Sandbox, tests positive at some time after arriving, somewhere ??, and now a number of those who have been in contact with him and presumably some from the same flight as him (number being undefined by the TG) are also now quarantined somewhere, for the next 14 days in Phuket.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... x-15172620

pipoz4444
Reported by the Thaiger: A Lady who happened to sit next to the Guy who tested Positive, had to transfer to an ASQ Hotel in Phuket. She has to now pay the ASQ Hotel herself, (Costing her B 52,000 for the 14 days), but she gets some sort of small refund from the original Hotel she booked. ASQ Hotel is priced a lot higher, as one would expect. Long and short of it, she has to foot the extra Bill, and not the Guy who was positive. :pirate: :pirate:

PS: She also said the plane was quite full?? Full of what would be my question :confused: :confused:

PS: Pays to have a spare B 52,000 in your Pocket just in case. :-k :-k

Guy who was positive is part of a large family, so one would suspect there are others in the family who are also positive

Also reports that, 9 other persons, have contacted The Thaiger, re the same scenario.

The sandbox System works well. [-( [-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91SYF456UU

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 11, 2021, 5:18 pm

What they need is some minister (health or something) to form the Phukexit party.
We dont need these dirty farang in Phuket
We have locals that can do all the jobs (even the ones that are below them)
We have natives that will fill all the hotel rooms and bar seats
What could possibly go wrong
Businesses will never be better
Believe me ...... would I lie to you?

Aside .......

You did manage to buy that Samui hotel chain didn't you.....
oh and those Bangkok Air shares are sorted ...... good :-"

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 20, 2021, 4:05 pm

I may have been too hard on the old Phuket Sandbox idea, as it s may just work given a bit more time.

Having watched this video, which was presumably taken in the last week (by the upload date), it may just prove to be a more relaxed, viable alternative, to being locked up/bunkered down in Bangkok in an ASQ Hotel for two weeks, for some. It certainly is not the Phuket of old, but also not absolute doom and gloom. I also see a few guys sitting at the Tropica having a beer and a perv, so normality may be returning (12.46). I will take a stab and say it is around 9.00pm =D> =D>

Given time, the people numbers should increase.

If I was them (Authorities), I would look at how best to slowly open a few business of interest, so as to add more variety to the experience. I would also consider extending the night hours for businesses to stay open to 12.00 midnight or 1.00pm (if not done already)

Then look at reducing the time people need to stay in Phuket to 10 or even 7 days before they fly off to another regional city. This would work better for those who needed to travel elsewhere in Thailand. I for one would come back if I had only 10 days to quarantine on the Phuket island and some lights were on in Bangla Road, before then flying to Udon Thani. \:D/ \:D/

The Authorities need to look to building a cluster of business in and around that central beach road area to open, rather than having them strung all over the place. Few people want to walk down a dark road to a light in the far distance. They need to focus on getting the whole Beach road front lit up like a Xmas tree (which seems to be well on the way) and then turning the lights on in Bangla road and the main Soi's that feed into Beach Road. :-k :-k

This all assumes that the Authorities don't panic and go into a spin, the next time when someone tests positive and then proceed to immediately add restrictions on all or even lock down and throw the innocent into a Phuket ASQ. If the Authorities contain themselves and react sensibly to the next Positive Case (inevitably there will be one), then the old Phuket Sandbox might just survive and lead the way, up what will still be a long road to recovery. =; =;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsncOnWBiE

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 20, 2021, 4:29 pm

Just a thought, how are all the staff/girls who vanished to all parts of the country when all this first started, supposed to get back to Phuket to open all these shuttered places?
They now need to receive 2 x vac (easier said than done in most of the country) and have a covid test before they are allowed back onto the island to resume or look for work

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 20, 2021, 4:31 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 20, 2021, 4:29 pm
Just a thought, how are all the staff/girls who vanished to all parts of the country when all this first started, supposed to get back to Phuket to open all these shuttered places?
They now need to receive 2 x vac (easier said than done in most of the country) and have a covid test before they are allowed back onto the island to resume or look for work
Last I checked only needed a valid covid test but might have changed again

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 20, 2021, 4:33 pm

TIT changed today till August 2nd ok let's see might have to roam on my own in September as flight already booked

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 20, 2021, 4:34 pm

It has

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 20, 2021, 4:39 pm

I hear the latest/only must do activity at present is walking along the empty beaches kicking sand at the soi dogs (suppose thats still better than 14 days in a BKK hotel swatting mosquitoes to pass the time)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 20, 2021, 5:24 pm

"ASQ Hotel is priced a lot higher, as one would expect. Long and short of it, she has to foot the extra Bill, and not the Guy who was positive."

Put yourself in the guy's shoes.......assuming he followed the rules and he was vaccinated and tested before he departed his home country.......are you going to ask him to pay the bills for the people sitting next to him......possibly on the right and on the left?
Pure tourists going to Phuket (not returning expats/families) are taking massive travel risks.....not just with Thailand, but potentially with any enroute countries on their return travels. The rules are changing by the day. I've nothing against anyone wanting to try their hand at the sandbox, but have little pity for someone who finds there's more than they bargained for under the current situation.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 20, 2021, 5:40 pm

Has anybody actually confirmed what time the curfew is in Phuket (for sandbox guests). Heard the question asked several times (when do they do the roll call to make sure you are back in your hotel 9pm, 10pm?) and everytime the answer has been dont know will find out ........ then it gets conveniently forgotton till asked again with the same answer.
Seems like the can my wife/girlfriend stay with me at night?, and after the same question was asked 20 times someone finally confirmed No they cant.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » July 20, 2021, 6:16 pm

Phuket Town is charming and still has life. Sandbox visitors can make day trips to the beach from a base in Phuket Town.

Or stay where more expats settle, such as Rawai / Naiharn or up by Laguna in Bangtao.

All these youtube videos of devastated Patong, Karon and Kata beaches look utterly bleak.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 20, 2021, 6:24 pm

Can see Patong/Karon/Kata being devastated for quite a while yet. Even if you owned two or three restaurants there, and wanted to re open to cater for the first dribble of tourists, how do you get your staff back to work if they are not allowed on the island until fully vaccinated which will probably take till next year

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 20, 2021, 6:24 pm

"Seems like the can my wife/girlfriend stay with me at night?, and after the same question was asked 20 times someone finally confirmed No they cant."

According to TAT rules: Q: Can my friend/family member who is already in Phuket join me at my hotel?
A: Yes, providing the guest follows all the rules stipulated for Thais and expats in Thailand.

"Has anybody actually confirmed what time the curfew is in Phuket"
Restaurants across Phuket may now sell alcohol and allow alcohol to be consumed on the premises until 11pm at night, Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panapong has confirmed.
Nothing about a curfew in Phuket that I can find.....but with restaurants/alcohol on ice after 11, it'd be time to retire to the sixpack/bottle in your room/beach/balcony.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 20, 2021, 6:45 pm

Out of date info parrot

No alcohol after 9pm

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ph ... s-no-booze

I suspect that the TAT rules re wives girlfriends not allowed to stay at quarantine hotel has also been changed.
Last I heard you could spend all day together but you must stay alone in quarantine hotel (is 23:59 - 00:01 classed as staying the night?)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2021, 6:39 am

stattointhailand wrote:
July 20, 2021, 6:45 pm
Out of date info parrot

No alcohol after 9pm

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ph ... s-no-booze

I suspect that the TAT rules re wives girlfriends not allowed to stay at quarantine hotel has also been changed.
Last I heard you could spend all day together but you must stay alone in quarantine hotel (is 23:59 - 00:01 classed as staying the night?)
So Covid has forever redefined the short time.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 21, 2021, 9:35 am

I would be interested to know How many expats with their expert knowledge have actually come back to Thailand during Covid? As an expat rotational worker who frequently has returned I find it amusing some of the comments made without actually knowing. I have chosen Phucket this time after several times quarantined in Bangkok like life will be an new experience and will wait and see how it pans out

Return to “Thailand News”