Insurance requirements up to 3Million baht

Thailand news, views and comments
samuel
udonmap.com

Re: Insurance requirements up to 3Million baht

Post by samuel » October 21, 2021, 6:23 am

The new health insurance requirements were made effective immediately, hence they came into effect yesterday (Oct 19).
https://www.thephuketnews.com/long-stay ... 4TCbnnVAGI

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 21, 2021, 8:01 am

I wonder how many Arrivals got and will get turned back upon arrival to Thailand.
Notice was NOW

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 21, 2021, 8:04 am

Probably not many. This only applies to OA visas, not tourist visas or visa exempt arrivals.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » October 21, 2021, 12:10 pm

tamada wrote:
October 20, 2021, 1:35 pm
The insurance requirement that previously applied to the O-A visa ONLY will now be applied to ALL long stay visa types.
Says who? Needs a source or its complete nonsense.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 21, 2021, 1:06 pm

[/quote]

I spoke to Siam Legal via email, best one for me is the 20-year 1 million baht Visa, not a typo. Being that I can't get back into Thailand this year, around January early February I'm going to submit my application for the background check, and I should have an answer by early March.

I pretty much have the gist of the details on this Visa, so if you have any questions just give me a holler and I can let you know what I know.
[/quote]

Thanks Ken, that nice to know, it's not a typo for the Elite Superiority Extension: Right to live in Thailand, 20 Year Membership, for B 1.0 Mill.

Pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 21, 2021, 8:56 pm

[/quote]
I spoke to Siam Legal via email, best one for me is the 20-year 1 million baht Visa, not a typo. Being that I can't get back into Thailand this year, around January early February I'm going to submit my application for the background check, and I should have an answer by early March.
[/quote]

Thanks Ken, that nice to know, it's not a typo for the Elite Superiority Extension: Right to live in Thailand, 20 Year Membership, for B 1.0 Mill.

Pipoz4444

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 21, 2021, 11:14 pm

My pleasure. You don't get as many perks as you do with the other Elite visas, but I don't golf anyways....

gghh
udonmap.com

Post by gghh » October 22, 2021, 7:05 am

4,100 THB a month with Elite visa...

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 22, 2021, 7:44 am

If this is applicable to all long stay visas has it been confirmed by any official source that only the 17 Thai insurance companies can be used to purchase cover or foreign insurers as well. ??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 22, 2021, 7:55 am

gghh wrote:
October 22, 2021, 7:05 am
Yes, 50,000 baht a year for the Elite Superiority Extension Visa. No 800,000 baht requirement in the bank account, renew every 5 years (4 times) instead of every year, whoever you get the visa through will do the 90-day reporting for you if you live in certain cities, and a few other perks.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 22, 2021, 8:18 am

Heres a link to the Thai Elite visa as referred to by Ken n Pippoz .. sorry if its been posted already ...it makes interesting reading.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-vi ... elite-visa

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 22, 2021, 1:38 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
October 22, 2021, 7:55 am
gghh wrote:
Yes, 50,000 baht a year for the Elite Superiority Extension Visa. No 800,000 baht requirement in the bank account, renew every 5 years (4 times) instead of every year, whoever you get the visa through will do the 90-day reporting for you if you live in certain cities, and a few other perks.
Thanks Ken & DM,

Yes, I will have to look into the actual differences between the Elite Superiority Extension for B 1.0M with no annual fee and the Elite Ultimate Privilege for B 2.14 Mill with an annual fee of B 21,400, given both are for 20 Years.

20 Years would be stretching my time on planet earth, but WTF if it gives you peace of mind, and a degree of certainty to live in Thailand

Over a 20 Year Period the, B 1.0M for Superiority vs 2.568 Mill for Ultimate, looks like a no brainer, if they both give you the 20 years stay, with no real hassles, (renewable every 5 years x 4 time, if alive), along with not having to purchase Medical Insurance just for the purpose of being able to stay in Thailand.

You would have to wonder what you get for the extra B 1.568 Million, over that 20 years stay, if you were to buy the Ultimate? It must be in the fine print, somewhere :-k :-k Maybe its the right to Work?

I must say that the Thai Government has improved the range of options available within the Elite Visa programme over the past few years (now 7 No), which is to their credit.

ELITE VISA
5.Elite Superiority Extension
Membership validity of 20 years
It costs 1 million Thai baht with no annual fee
The Elite Visa validity of 5 years and renewable for another 5 years (4 sets of 5-year multi-entry visa)

6.Elite Ultimate Privilege
Membership validity of of 20 years
It costs 2.14 million Thai baht with annual fee of 21,400 Thai baht
The Elite Visa validity of 5 years and renewable for another 5 years (4 sets of 5-year multi-entry visa)
Members must be over 20 years old

pipoz4444

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 22, 2021, 5:27 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 22, 2021, 1:38 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
October 22, 2021, 7:55 am
gghh wrote:
Thanks Ken & DM,

Yes, I will have to look into the actual differences between the Elite Superiority Extension for B 1.0M with no annual fee and the Elite Ultimate Privilege for B 2.14 Mill with an annual fee of B 21,400, given both are for 20 Years.

20 Years would be stretching my time on planet earth, but WTF if it gives you peace of mind, and a degree of certainty to live in Thailand

Over a 20 Year Period the, B 1.0M for Superiority vs 2.568 Mill for Ultimate, looks like a no brainer, if they both give you the 20 years stay, with no real hassles, (renewable every 5 years x 4 time, if alive), along with not having to purchase Medical Insurance just for the purpose of being able to stay in Thailand.

You would have to wonder what you get for the extra B 1.568 Million, over that 20 years stay, if you were to buy the Ultimate? It must be in the fine print, somewhere :-k :-k Maybe its the right to Work?

I must say that the Thai Government has improved the range of options available within the Elite Visa programme over the past few years (now 7 No), which is to their credit.

ELITE VISA
5.Elite Superiority Extension
Membership validity of 20 years
It costs 1 million Thai baht with no annual fee

6.Elite Ultimate Privilege
Membership validity of of 20 years
It costs 2.14 million Thai baht with annual fee of 21,400 Thai baht
Members must be over 20 years old

pipoz4444
Pipoz, the problem I see with either of these Elite visas is.....do you really trust the Thai government to keep their promises under the agreements for the next 5 or 20 years? So many things could go wrong during that time, and just because they may have kept their commitments since the program started doesn't mean they will in the future. This is the "land of the flip-flop", and they will do as they d**n well please and you could be left holding an empty bag.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 22, 2021, 6:30 pm

^ If I am not mistaken, the Elite Visa has been in continuous existence since the Thaksin years? Beyond some tweaks and adjustments and despite a steady stream of similar doubts and expressions of lack of trust or faith mostly by those who can't afford it, I haven't heard or read of anyone on the Elite visa enablement having the carpet whipped out from under them, being run out of town on a rail or having the door slammed in their face.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 22, 2021, 6:41 pm

I've spent 25 years of extensions (minus one year due to being marooned in the US) x 1900 Baht 47,500 Baht (actually much less as extensions in my first years were ?900?)

I'm on a Non-O, so no insurance required. Admittedly that could change, as could a lot of other immigration requirements.

I don't consider myself losing but maybe a few hundred dollars in interest on my 800k parked in a Thai bank. It's 'insurance' cash that I would have kept parked in a US bank for emergency reasons.

I find it hard to understand that freedom from 90 day check-ins would be a factor in considering one of the high priced visas.

All in all, expat life is a gamble.....but for the past 25 years, the gamble has paid off.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » October 22, 2021, 7:08 pm

parrot wrote:
October 22, 2021, 6:41 pm
I've spent 25 years of extensions (minus one year due to being marooned in the US) x 1900 Baht 47,500 Baht (actually much less as extensions in my first years were ?900?)

I'm on a Non-O, so no insurance required. Admittedly that could change, as could a lot of other immigration requirements.

I don't consider myself losing but maybe a few hundred dollars in interest on my 800k parked in a Thai bank. It's 'insurance' cash that I would have kept parked in a US bank for emergency reasons.

I find it hard to understand that freedom from 90 day check-ins would be a factor in considering one of the high priced visas.

All in all, expat life is a gamble.....but for the past 25 years, the gamble has paid off.
Same here Mr.Parrot,20 years and counting..but like you wrote..anything could and will change is my guess.Time will tell as usuall.

//Alfie

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 22, 2021, 7:14 pm

parrot wrote:
October 22, 2021, 6:41 pm

You got it in one! Why has this thread eroded to the so called "Elite visa".
IMHO anyone wasting their Baht on that kee nok needs to see and/or consult their brain doctor.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 22, 2021, 7:57 pm

Is having to leave the country every 3 months under the non-immigrant O Visa free? Is the non-immigrant OA Visa free given the insurance requirements you have to pay for that one might not need? All visas in Thailand cost you one way or another, paying for something you may not want or need, but that is life in general. Unless things change, the Elite Visa would give me the freedom to come and go as I choose and I won't have to worry, so far, about any in country health insurance requirements or keeping 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank. For me it would be a Visa of convenience.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 22, 2021, 8:16 pm

Up until a couple years ago, until Thailand started enforcing the health insurance requirement, I was going to come to Thailand under the non-immigrant OA Visa. But given that my Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance covers me in Thailand, in over 30 doctors offices and hospitals in Bangkok alone, it didn't make sense paying for two different insurances, especially one that is required where your premiums escalate as you get older, and they can drop you anytime they want. That's when I started looking at other types of visas and came across the Elite visas.

Having to pay the insurance premiums on the Thai insurance is the same or more expensive than the Elite Superiority Visa cost.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 22, 2021, 8:30 pm

As with most things in life Ken - fully inform yourself as best you can, and then make a decision based on your personal circumstances.

Return to “Thailand News”