Thailand's fossils

Thailand news, views and comments
tamada
udonmap.com

Thailand's fossils

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 12:55 pm

Wissanu rejects dumping Thai numerals

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam has rejected replacing Thai numerals with Arabic numbers as used in Western countries in all official documents.

He was responding to an online campaign launched on www.change.org that seemed to suggest that Thai numerals be dropped in favour of Arabic numerals for all official documents for the sake of standardisation and convenience.

"We know the calls go that far. But we need to stand our ground," he said, adding the debate surrounding the numeral issue was a non-story.

Meanwhile, Patiyut Thongprajong, executive of the Thai Pakdee Party, said via Facebook the campaign was being waged to create further divisions in society.

He also believed it was part of a wider scheme to bring about a radical change to how the country is governed.

YCMTSU

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... i-numerals

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Thailand's fossils

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2022, 2:35 pm

When I read the title I thought we were going to have a discussion on the UFES.
True, the so called leaders of this Nation have an absolute fear of any changes that may affect the power they hold. One simple question. Have you ever seen a calendar given out by a Thai company that uses Thai written numerals, I have not and Thailand has not disappeared in a puff of smoke because of it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 31, 2022, 3:47 pm

I can't say for sure, since I'm not currently getting a noodle soup fix, but there's a calendar at my go-to shop that has the numerals in Thai script......Thai royalty photos. If not there, here's a Jan page from a ChiangMai University calendar.
I also come across a variety of government issued proclamations that use Thai numerals in place of Arabic. I think it may have something to do with some recent changes in who sits in the top seat........like all the razor-sided haircuts you see in the police/military these past few years.
Attachments
1.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 31, 2022, 4:26 pm

Here's an example of one of those government announcements......all Thai numerals, except for 2019 Covid 19
Attachments
281764201_5041674492535699_8255785983100999365_n.jpg

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2022, 5:39 pm

Thanks Parrot.
These are Thai Government issues. Again I will repeat, how many of the free calendars that you get from vendors are in Thai script. We have 3 and while they highlight Buddha days they are all in 'Arabic'? or what 95% of the world uses. TIT

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2022, 6:22 pm

I think the orig campaign was to get "official legal docs" to change, they are the ones that still use Thai script numbers.
It also wanted to change the date to 2022 from 2565 on the calendar which seems strange as Thailand is not a christian country so when Christ was born or died has absolutely no relevance to Thais

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2022, 6:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 31, 2022, 6:22 pm
I think the orig campaign was to get "official legal docs" to change, they are the ones that still use Thai script numbers.
It also wanted to change the date to 2022 from 2565 on the calendar which seems strange as Thailand is not a christian country so when Christ was born or died has absolutely no relevance to Thais
So why is the 1st of January a National holiday and calendars etc all start from 1st Jan. Islamic nations also recognise 1st Jan as the start of the Calendar year.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2022, 6:37 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
What has 1st January got to do with Christian beliefs?? It is a date in the Arabic numerical system where its the end of the winter and life improves as better weather is coming. No so much if you are a Jock, another 4 months needed.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2022, 8:07 pm

The year not the date 2022 from 2565

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2022, 8:12 pm

AlexO wrote:
May 31, 2022, 6:29 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
So why is the 1st of January a National holiday and calendars etc all start from 1st Jan. Islamic nations also recognise 1st Jan as the start of the Calendar year.
Songkran is also a National Holiday ......... the Thais dont need too much of an excuse to have a holiday :lol:

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2022, 8:24 pm

Forgive me, but does the Thai Calendar not change on 1st January. Its a different year to ours but starts 1st January ??

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2022, 8:41 pm

I was under the impression that khun Patiyut was asking to have the year only changed not the actual date in the year

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 1, 2022, 7:03 am

Thailands inability to recognise and understand that their actions are counter-productive . This is no surprise when if I remember correctly the current PM, stated quite plainly that other people will learn THai and downgraded English learning /teaching.
This is the same man who now wants make minor changes so the rest of the world can understand Government Papers.
Maintaining a DEAD l;anguage under the guise of keeping Culture is obviously an easy task as just talking about LOSS of Culture brings tens of thousands out to protect it.
Thai is difficult to learn , ask any Thai, many stop l;earning after M3 in schools although they are continued to learn in Thai .
English programmes that teach subjects in English are more expensive , even in University where if you take your degree in English it will be considered a better degree and YET they bang the drum for a Thai curriculum.

Sadly for the Tjai Government the STRICT adherence to maintaining Thai Culture is nopw having a detrimental effect on Thailand and Thai Youth are shunning even the Religion as being out of touch, corrupt ( daily ) . So unlike other countries with similar old cultures Thais refuse top accept change and eventually their attitude will lose it quicker than embracing change and involving change to make Thai Culture more appealing .

They do not do that as there is NO MONEY to be made from that so it is not worth the effort.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » June 1, 2022, 8:36 am

banknote serial #'s have both versions. if you want
to learn in a pinch. or maybe just curious

never figured how letters transpose b=ธ,c=ก

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 1, 2022, 8:57 am

Dummy's Guide to Thailand 4.0

page 33
section 16
paragraph 4.1.7

"The world needs to learn Thailand's traditional Hindu-Arabic based numerical characters so they can keep up. To this end, we will ensure that both Thailand's traditional and the west's Arabic numerals are displayed on Thailand's legal tender. Thusly, foreigners will be encouraged to embrace Thailand's magnificent numerical heritage."
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » June 3, 2022, 10:15 am

i think the thai script and numerals originally came
fromkhmer. but i concede, you win the figjam trophy

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 14, 2022, 3:38 pm

This calendar threw me for a loop yesterday......it's in honor of Somdej Phra Buddhachan, Thai numbers. What caught my attention was the '2011'. I checked......August dates corresponded to 2022 dates.....so what's going on?
Turns out 2011 and 2022 dates line up.........so before you toss out that valuable calendar, hoard it away as you can recycle it sometime in the future.
Attachments
20220813_112711 (1).jpg
20220813_112711 (1).jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

Return to “Thailand News”