Cannabis Convicts

Thailand news, views and comments
mak
udonmap.com

Cannabis Convicts

Post by mak » June 9, 2022, 9:55 am

Free at last!
Today, 3,071 prisoners locked up for cannabis-related drug crimes will be released from prisons all over Thailand.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Cannabis Convicts

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 10:10 am

Using the same principal, why are people who were fined for speeding on sections of road where the limit has now been increased not entitled to a refund?

Bl**dy ludicrous ...... you do the crime, you serve the time

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2022, 10:21 am

And if a country or state abolishes the death penalty, everyone on death row should still be executed. 👍

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 10:49 am

So I wonder how many of those being released would not have been arrested today for the same offence?

Were they all less than 2. whatever percent?

None of them for smoking the stuff?

None of them for selling or growing with no work permit?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2022, 10:59 am

jackspratt wrote:
June 9, 2022, 10:21 am
And if a country or state abolishes the death penalty, everyone on death row should still be executed. 👍
No. Those already executed should be resurrected.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 11:06 am

tamada wrote:
June 9, 2022, 10:59 am
jackspratt wrote:
June 9, 2022, 10:21 am
No. Those already executed should be resurrected.
Alleluya !!!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 9, 2022, 6:34 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2022, 10:10 am
Using the same principal, why are people who were fined for speeding on sections of road where the limit has now been increased not entitled to a refund?

Bl**dy ludicrous ...... you do the crime, you serve the time
So the homosexuals or any others deemed to be a sexual deviant (not involving children) in the past in UK were either released or they were given a complete pardon. Wrong or what? My view no, poor buggers suffered hugely from all kinds of discrimination and abuse Then you have Sturgeon (God bless her half developed brain) writing a letter of apology to the witches who had been done in by zealots who murdered them some 300 or more years ago.. Bet they are happy now that the leadership of Scotland had enough spare time to think a letter to them would mean so much that they could now RIP.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 7:22 pm

If a law was in place, and you KNOWINGLY broke that law, it matters not a jot whether it is changed at a later date .... What you did was illegal, You knew it was illegal, you still went ahead and broke that law, so you still face the punishment for the crime you committed.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 9, 2022, 7:40 pm

But if the law was totally wrong, based on Victorian rules where it was ok to partake in the pleasures of a 12 year old prostitute but same sex sex was deemed abhorrent despite what the Greek Classics told us (one for you super troll) and some of the greatest minds then and now are acknowledged as pu-fs (are we allowed to say that anymore). What's the problem. I think the Law about every Englishman must spend at least 6 hours on a Sunday practicing long bow archery is still on the statute books. Some Laws need to be looked at in the modern environment.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 8:03 pm

Surely the only ones that need a pardon are those that a) didn't smoke it b) didn't sell it c) didnt use any part containing more than 2%, as all the above are STILL CRIMINAL ACTS ........ somehow I suspect not too many of the 3 thousand odd were growing the odd plant to make less than 2% tea ...... may be I'm wrong and the police have been having crackdowns on cannabis ice cream sellers

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 9, 2022, 8:09 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2022, 8:03 pm
Surely the only ones that need a pardon are those that a) didn't smoke it b) didn't sell it c) didnt use any part containing more than 2%, as all the above are STILL CRIMINAL ACTS ........ somehow I suspect not too many of the 3 thousand odd were growing the odd plant to make less than 2% tea ...... may be I'm wrong and the police have been having crackdowns on cannabis ice cream sellers
I agree with you, it makes no sense to release them, they still broke the current laws. Unless of course you are supposed to read between the lines and its basically all legal now, just don't flaunt it I guess.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2022, 8:16 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2022, 7:22 pm
If a law was in place, and you KNOWINGLY broke that law, it matters not a jot whether it is changed at a later date .... What you did was illegal, You knew it was illegal, you still went ahead and broke that law, so you still face the punishment for the crime you committed.
And if the previous law is changed by a new law (ie forgiving past sins) doesn't that become the new law?

Just a question for those insistent on sticking to "the letter".

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2022, 8:20 pm

AlexO wrote:
June 9, 2022, 6:34 pm
,,,,,,poor buggers suffered hugely from all kinds of discrimination and abuse ....
Still thinking about whether or not to credit Alex with the (unclaimed) Pun of the Week award. :D

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » June 9, 2022, 8:27 pm

i will never understand the brit fascination with buggerry or pooftering. oh sure, blame it all on the
greeks, that's convenient.(scots who think they brits
Last edited by pepesgrill on June 9, 2022, 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 8:29 pm

"forgiving past sins" ???? got some friggin' wierd laws when you come from Jack .......... Answer is STILL NO it becomes active law at the time it is passed not before

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2022, 8:38 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2022, 8:29 pm
"forgiving past sins" ???? got some friggin' wierd laws when you come from Jack .......... Answer is STILL NO it becomes active law at the time it is passed not before
I come from a place in which one of the central tenets is the "Rule of Law".

For example, if a law is passed some time in the past, and later is amended, that amended law becomes the law.

It's really not a difficult concept.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 9:16 pm

"that amended law becomes the law." ....... From the date it was amended ....... great, glad we got that cleared up.

If Andrew Windsor came to the Udon Cowshed, took a 19 year old bit of totty home and shagged it, and tomorrow morning in the R O Y A L Gazette they announce the age of consent is to be reduced to 18, he has still broken the law, just coz they subsequently change the law does not then make him innocent of the crime he committed.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2022, 9:34 pm

Look up "retrospective" statts - and hopefully that will make it clear for you.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 9, 2022, 9:49 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 9, 2022, 8:20 pm
AlexO wrote:
June 9, 2022, 6:34 pm
,,,,,,poor buggers suffered hugely from all kinds of discrimination and abuse ....
Still thinking about whether or not to credit Alex with the (unclaimed) Pun of the Week award. :D
No pun intended just don't know what words are allowed by the UM algorithms. Anyway some might have just been happy with a 69. Only those that Know, Know.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 9:59 pm

You can hardly have a retrospective law can you ......... making something illegal today and arresting someone for doing it yesterday??

Return to “Thailand News”