Preah Vihear Temple

Thailand news, views and comments
Aardvark
udonmap.com

Preah Vihear Temple

Post by Aardvark » July 24, 2008, 11:41 am

Although its eight years old now this article makes for very interesting reading. When I informed my wife that Issan used to belong to Laos she would'nt have a bar of it. I hope this link works, its my first try at it. LAO-THAI BORDER

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 24, 2008, 11:43 am

Looks like it did'nt work, SORRY :oops:

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 27, 2008, 3:52 pm

Pass me the link and I'll post it for you.

In other words; copy and paste the link into a pm to me and I'll put it up.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 27, 2008, 4:30 pm

Garnet
udonmap.com

Temple Guide

Post by Garnet » July 27, 2008, 9:35 pm

This site has some photos, and a fairly detailed write-up:

http://www.btinternet.com/~andy.brouwer/pvihear.htm

Unfortunately for me, westerby, the particular computer I'm using right now has problems with many 'high-graphic' sites, and the Explorer window freezes up when I try to access it. Then my whole computer slowly begins phasing off into a general freeze, forcing me to shut down Explorer entirely to get out of it.

The BBC site has proven to be just such a problem site for my old machine. I'll have to access it from a different computer.

I was able to locate an article published on 'the Guardian' Web site just yesterday (Saturday, July 26) that gives a good description of conditions in that area just now:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/ju ... d.cambodia
Garnet & Jack

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 28, 2008, 4:04 am

That Guardian post is fairly comprehensive. I had to laugh about those rubber bands on the Cambodian grenades...

It won't go in Thailand's favour if they seize the temple.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 28, 2008, 7:24 am

IMO,it is a result of ''Nationalism'' developed to divert the poor ignorant masses from the corrupt happenings perpetuated against them and Thailand by those intent on filling their own coffers while directing blame at outsiders!

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 28, 2008, 8:10 am

It is a debacle and those here should be shot.
Their mindset is in no way aimed at appeasing the masses, nor is it aimed at sorting out the problm over the temple.
However NOW when all other avenures have been exhausted, they are finally deciding to appoint a diplomat, who does at least understand diplomacy and has a good track record.
the fear of UN reprisals may have been the key to their decisions. Thailand has few freinds internationally over this site and commonsense as said before in other posts is a something Thai's do not have in large quantities.
Guns

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 28, 2008, 11:21 am

Guns, where do you get your information concerning your statement "Thailand has few freinds Internationally over this site" I have heard no condemnation from anyone so far. If anyone is to blame its the French who drew up this Map in the first place. Personally I think both Countries should share the site and the cost of maintaining it. As Stan metioned, this is nothing more than an excercise in scoring political browny points, but the UN could at least have gone to the site first and then called for a vote, which they did not !!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 28, 2008, 8:49 pm

Thailand does have quite a few friends over this issue including many of the ASEAN states, and the United States.

One reason that has been put forward for the confrontation at the moment is yesterday's election in Cambodia and how it served Hun Sen to have a 'unity' issue against an old enemy to rally the country behind him.

This is true, but it does now explain what is going on in Thailand.

Clearly, PAD wants the current government out and is doing its best to make the government look weak and incompetent. Does it want a return to military rule and chao pha (godfather) politics or not?

As to the temple itself. I remember the controversy vaguely from the late 50s and early 60s.

This was at a time when the United States was looking for friends in the battle against communism.

Thailand was already onside and was a trusted and loyal ally of the United States.

Burma was going through a difficult transition from democratic constitutional parliamentary rule under U Nu to military rule under Ne Win.

I forget about Laos. Either Suvanna Phuma was leading a neutralist government or he had been replaced by Phoumi or one of the military figures. The United States did not like Suvanna Phuma's neutralist policy until 1962. North Vietnam was also putting Suvanna Phum'a neutralist policy under incredible pressure too. I forgot when Kong Le staged his coup to oust the right-wing militarists.

Anyway, Cambodia was a key to the United States. The flamboyant and charasmatic god-individual Sihanouk was ruling Cambodia and following a neutral policy. However, he often played the United States off against North Vietnam and vice-versa trying to get the best deal for Cambodia.

I think the United States might have supported Cambodia over the temple issue at the United Nations to try and sway Cambodia to lean more to the United States in its foreign policy. The Soviets and China would support Cambodia on the issue too.

I might be really wrong on this, but it would be interesting to see which way countries like the United States, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada voted in the United Nations.

Owing to laziness on my part, I have not googled the information, which leaves me open to having more egg on my face than is normal.

There is no easy solution to the temple question. However, PAD can use it as a weapon to hammer the ruling government into a pulp by pointing out that they are weak and useless in defending important Thai interests.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 28, 2008, 9:02 pm

So I was wrong. The dispute was settled by an international court in the Hague.

However, I was not completely wrong since American and French advisers aided the Cambodians and a team of advisers from Britain and Begium aided the Thai side.

Preah Vihear stands as a symbol of botched diplomatic efforts
By Nophakhun Limsamarnphun
[email protected]
The Nation
Published on July 26, 2008
Asda Chaiyanam, the former Thai envoy to the United Nations, told me the other day that a foreign government had spied on the Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 28, 2008, 9:26 pm

I hope this does not insult anyone on this site. I hope the Thais really get their arses kicked and if they mess with Cambo they will. The Cambodians are really tough and no nonsense. The The Thais have stolen boundaries, relics and god knows what from Cambodia and Laos for ages.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 28, 2008, 9:39 pm

The Cambodians are really tough and no nonsense

Past experience has not shown the Cambodians to have been tough since about the reign of Jayavarman VII (r. 1181-1220).

Cambodians can be very brutal and 'no nonsense' to their own people as the Khmer Rouge proved; however, they have had great difficulty defending themselves against Vietnam and Thailand since the fall of Angkor in 1431.

The main point is that there is no need for anyone to act tough and no nonsense.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 28, 2008, 9:47 pm

Aardvark wrote:Personally I think both Countries should share the site and the cost of maintaining it.
I think this is a very sensible approach to take to this issue.
It is a Buddhist temple, both countries are majority Buddhist and it should be open to all to worship/visit.
Cambodian hardly have a good record of maintaining & handling ancient historical sites if one looks at Anchor Wat... :( :(

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 29, 2008, 12:03 am

BobHelm wrote:
Aardvark wrote:Personally I think both Countries should share the site and the cost of maintaining it.
I think this is a very sensible approach to take to this issue.
The sensible approach but it'll never happen, Bob. [-(

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » July 29, 2008, 3:01 am

It seems quite clear that the reason for the recent flare-up was grandstanding for the Cambodian elections.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 29, 2008, 3:32 am

rickfarang wrote:It seems quite clear that the reason for the recent flare-up was grandstanding for the Cambodian elections.
How do you mean, because the Cambodians tried to have it listed as a UNESCO Heritage site?

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 29, 2008, 7:17 am

Actually I got my information from the nation 28th July 2008, where it was stated that over this matter Thailand has few freinds internationally. Try reading the press.
before offering comments.
i never comment on supposedly facts presented by others, however ifi find them incorrect, I may reply with another fact and let the information speak for itself.

And for information it is a Hindu temple, which has been stated before but seems to have be lost in following posts.
Guns

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 29, 2008, 8:38 am

Originally consecrated as Hindu, it became Buddhist during the Angor dynasty and is a reminder for Cambodians of the last flowering of Khmer greatness, ended by a 15th century Thai invasion.
The Guardian

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 29, 2008, 12:09 pm

"Personally I think both Countries should share the site and the cost of maintaining it."

Why? The UN has clearly stated it is on Cambodian soil. It has nothing to do with Thailand.

Return to “Thailand News”