Chinese aircraft carrier.

World news discussion forum
trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 1, 2011, 2:32 pm

Just browsing and saw these portrayals of the Chinese new carrier due to enter service in 2015. Its twin hulled and said to have a nuclear submarine service base between the hulls .
image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image004.jpg
To think we have just sold our last one for scrap. :lol:

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 1, 2011, 3:47 pm

Could never understand why they never used Twin Hulls before. Much more stable !!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 1, 2011, 6:30 pm

Hope it doesn't rust like the metal fittings around my sinks! :roll: :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 1, 2011, 7:32 pm

As I understand it, the Chinese bought an old Soviet hulk of a carrier and are refurbishing it. "China purchased the 67,500-ton Varyag, an unfinished aircraft carrier, at $200 million from Ukraine in 1998 under the pretext of reconstructing the vessel as a maritime hotel. The purpose of the vessel was changed, however, and Beijing will soon launch it as an aircraft carrier."
I think the catamaran photos are bogus......but it's a nice design none the less.

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » October 2, 2011, 11:19 am

In today's battlefield drones rule the sky and aircraft carriers are becoming less relevant but it looks good if you desire to be a major player. Not the smartest investment for China's hard working people.

AroyFarang
udonmap.com

Post by AroyFarang » October 2, 2011, 12:50 pm

China currently have money to burn!
I don’t have a problem with God. I have a problem with God’s customer support team.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 2, 2011, 1:43 pm

parrot wrote: I think the catamaran photos are bogus......but it's a nice design none the less.
I think bogus may be the wrong word as they are obviously artistic impressions not photographs. As I said portrayals.
The site was in Chinese and the Google translation left a lot to be desired but I did gleen the completion date and the submarine facility and it left me wondering why in such a heavily secret country they would want to reveal their cards so openly. I came to the conclusion that it was either a propoganda exercise or sabre rattling .However I very much doubt they will ever be built but as you say"a nice design" Certainly thinking outside the box.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

captainahab
udonmap.com

Post by captainahab » October 2, 2011, 2:46 pm

These are among several design types for future builds,

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=chine ... d=0CEQQsAQ

However,

China Will Build an additional 2 Type 089 Aircraft Carriers and 2 Type 085 Nuclear Aircraft Carriers

http://aircraft.zurf.info/article/return-zheng-he

http://wareye.com/china-will-build-2-ty ... t-carriers

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » October 3, 2011, 5:36 am

Well, I say we (USA) should borrow a few hundred billion more from the Chinese and build the carrier ourselves. ;) Probably a stolen design from DoD, anyway.
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » October 3, 2011, 11:54 am

parrot wrote:As I understand it, the Chinese bought an old Soviet hulk of a carrier and are refurbishing it. "China purchased the 67,500-ton Varyag, an unfinished aircraft carrier, at $200 million from Ukraine in 1998 under the pretext of reconstructing the vessel as a maritime hotel. The purpose of the vessel was changed, however, and Beijing will soon launch it as an aircraft carrier."
I think the catamaran photos are bogus......but it's a nice design none the less.
They finished and launched the Ukrainian one already, about the time they started increasing their sabre-rattling about the Spratley Islands.

As someone else pointed out, carriers are sexy and a great penis symbol, but their strategic importance is fading fast.

China must have an exceptionally small penis to have fielded this derelict hulk.

captainahab
udonmap.com

Post by captainahab » October 3, 2011, 1:05 pm

Probably a stolen design from DoD, anyway.
As it states in the articles the blueprints for both types of carrier were legally bought from Russia / Ukraine.
China must have an exceptionally small penis to have fielded this derelict hulk.
They have to start somewhere and this will reportedly be used mainly for training until the two new conventional ones are ready in 2015 and the two nuclear ones in 2020.

captainahab
udonmap.com

Post by captainahab » October 3, 2011, 3:41 pm

Co-incidentally the year 2020 is also the one being quoted for the commissioning of the UK's two new aircraft carriers HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales although it is reported that the Prince of Wales will go straight into "ready reserve"

Also UK the government has stated that it cannot afford any planes for either one and they are in talks with the French and US Navies about them supplying the planes and pilots.

At least the Chinese doing the job properly.

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » October 3, 2011, 4:00 pm

"An aircraft carrier is the mark of major powers," the Daily quoted Gen Qiao Liang a military expert as saying.

Some might say that it takes more than a 'mark' to actually BE a major power.

In any case, their carrier program is no threat to the US/UK, nor is it intended to be. It's intended to bully little guys into conceding territory in the South China Sea, like the Spratleys, ownership of which is claimed by at least the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei, as well as the probable main object of the PRC's lust: Taiwan. Now that there appears to be oil to grab, expect things to get interesting, with a Chinese Ukrainian aircraft carried as the big stick.

I sense some admiration for the Chinese in your post. Greatly misplaced, IMHO.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 3, 2011, 5:03 pm

I'm not keen on Chinese Militarism either, not exactly the most understanding people imo !!

Return to “World News”