Major Oklahoma Tornado

World news discussion forum
maaka
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by maaka » May 21, 2013, 7:09 am

sorry for the spelling
news just in on my radio is that the biggest hurricane /tornado ever has hit Oaklahoma USA, so any members from that region might pay to check in with family..

Shado
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Shado » May 21, 2013, 8:08 am

Tornado maaka. Oklahoma is too far inland to suffer much impact from a hurricane. Latest tally is 51 dead. Hardest hit was the city of Moore. Massive storm indeed.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/ok ... index.html

maaka
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by maaka » May 21, 2013, 11:04 am

thanks for the clarification matey..
we dont have those things down this way so was unsure though I did use hurricane / tornado in my thread, but thanks all the same..lucky I didnt call it a Willy - Willy as that would have thrown afew members..hahaha...

all good, at least we got the word out to our fellow members, and wider family circle..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Zidane » May 21, 2013, 11:28 am

At least 51 dead but the death toll is expected to rise substantially with many feared still trapped in the rubble or missing.
Especially sad was a primary school that collapsed killing at least 20 children aged around 8 years.Parents of children at the school had been trying to get to the school to bring them home but were unable to get there because of the appalling weather and gridlocked traffic.
Wind speeds were estimated at around 300 kilometres per hour making this the second fiercest tornado ever recorded.
RIP to all the victims and condolences to the families.

Oklahoma tornado.jpg
Oklahoma tornado.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Oklahoma tornado 1.jpg
Oklahoma tornado 2.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Aardvark » May 21, 2013, 4:52 pm

Dreadful News, RIP to the victims :cry:

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Stantheman » May 21, 2013, 11:13 pm

Latest news is from 21 up to 90 dead depending on who is reporting, base count from medical examiner being reported is 51 dead. Children dead has been reported as 7 or 20, again depending on who is talking. Some say larger numbers are due to double counting. When last reported they still have almost half of destroyed areas to check and are still removing debris from the schools destroyed.

farlong68
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by farlong68 » May 22, 2013, 12:16 am

please make storm shelters required by law for all schools our prayers are with you all khun lek and khun john

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Stantheman » May 22, 2013, 5:36 am

Current CBS news is now reporting 24 dead, of that 8 are children. Even 1 is to many

Charlieb
udonmap.com

From the rubble some good news

Post by Charlieb » May 22, 2013, 11:40 am

This should tug at your heart strings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... oc.twitter

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Aardvark » May 22, 2013, 3:12 pm

Uuh Uum yep, brought a tear to mine ...

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by jimboLV » May 22, 2013, 3:32 pm

Yes, how amazing. I stood up and cheered when he was recovered. My wife thought I was watching a football game. That old timer was so cool. If I lived anywhere near Oke City, I would ask her to come live in my house along with her dog, stay as long as they need to get back on her feet.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by WBU ALUM » May 22, 2013, 4:23 pm

The worst thing about tornadoes is that they are incapable of being tracked like hurricanes. They are difficult to forecast, but the technology is improving. They drop out of the sky out of nowhere from supercell rain clouds that are usually chocked full of lightning. You can be sitting on your porch watching the skies darken as if it's going to rain, and whammo, there's a tornado.

Some may not reach the ground, some only move along the ground a few seconds and disappear. Others, make minutes seem like an hour before they leave the ground and return to the clouds.

http://www.wunderground.com/resources/e ... adoFAQ.asp

I never had to survive through one in Texas and Louisiana, but had many pass near where I was. Devastating destruction. I've seen entire homes just exploded and disintegrated from the pressure buildup inside. Not hardly a match stick left. Just the concrete foundation.

I was both surprised and happy to learn that none of the Thai nationals I knew had ever experienced one here.

These folks in Oklahoma have much for which to be thankful. Something this size could have taken out so many more.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

From the rubble some good news

Post by BigBubba » May 22, 2013, 5:53 pm

Charlieb wrote:This should tug at your heart strings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... oc.twitter
I saw an abreviated version of this on CNN. Glad to see the whole thing. Very touching for all animal lovers. Thanks for posting!
Every day I wake up is a good day.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Major Oklahoma Tornado

Post by stoneman » May 25, 2013, 7:18 pm

We flew into OKC less than 2 hours after the tornado hit...about 10 miles from the airport...The most impressive thing that I have seen is how fast the communities have come together to get this tragedy on the road to normalcy again...The state and local govts, along with private individuals and companies are really the backbone of the cleanup..FEMA is sitting on the sidelines..As you may know, Oklahoma was the only state in the nation to have all 77 counties vote Republican in the 2012 elections...A very Red state and the people are very independent and supportive of each other...

Stoneman

Return to “World News”