UK prepares for "severe storm"

World news discussion forum
Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 27, 2013, 8:57 am

The Met Office have warned of a "significant storm" to hit South Wales and South West England from Sunday night until Monday morning.
Hurricane force winds exceeding 80 mph are expected in some exposed coastal areas.
There were hopes that the huge storm brewing out in the Atlantic might miss Britain but its path now shows that it will make landfall on the SW coast on Sunday night causing structural damage,bringing down trees and power lines and flooding.
Motorists have been warned about their journey to work on Monday morning and asked only to venture out if absolutely necessary.
Some have compared its potential to the Great Storm of 1987 and the record breaking gales in South Wales in 1989.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » October 27, 2013, 2:29 pm

Fond memories of the 87 storm. I was doing my army track vehicle licence at Borden, spent the time travelling to rural areas and helping the locals move trees and other large objects.
Endless cups of tea and home made cake :D

Still uncertain as to whether this one will hit or not, best to ask Michael Fish his thoughts.

Forecasters predicting a long hard winter back home, nice time for electricity cost to increase by 9.5%

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 27, 2013, 2:50 pm

Strange ...... I was told it was about to hit the Sunderland coast at about 20:30 (Udon Time) :-k

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » October 27, 2013, 3:29 pm

Severe storm ? Thats just a breeze ;)

Shetland holds the unofficial British record for wind speed, which in 1962 was recorded at 177 mph (285 km/h) at RAF Saxa Vord.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » October 27, 2013, 10:07 pm

I live in the North west on the coast and hopefully will only get the tail end of it, but have still battened down all the hatches.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » October 28, 2013, 4:17 pm

220,000 houses without electricity, think of all the money they will be saving.
No trains out of London to the NW due to fallen tree.
Sadly one life appears to have been claimed as a young boy was swept out to sea.
Crane crashes down on the Cabinet Office.
Numerous flood warnings and roads closed.

A bit of a mess back home.

howard
udonmap.com

Post by howard » October 28, 2013, 8:34 pm

I'm staying in the south of England at the moment. A little windy but nowhere as severe as 1987. Now heading towards Holland where it will apparently will gain strength as it crosses the North Sea. Yes sad to see young girl died after tree fell on her as she was sleeping in mobile structure outside her house. One 14 year boy decided to go swimming in the sea, still looking for him.

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » October 28, 2013, 9:53 pm

Macca wrote:Fond memories of the 87 storm. I was doing my army track vehicle licence at Borden, spent the time travelling to rural areas and helping the locals move trees and other large objects.
Endless cups of tea and home made cake :D

Still uncertain as to whether this one will hit or not, best to ask Michael Fish his thoughts.

Forecasters predicting a long hard winter back home, nice time for electricity cost to increase by 9.5%
Blimey Macca; my parents had a tree removed from their front drive in Grayshott in '87 by the Army ... could have been you! You weren't rude about my Mum's treacle sponge at the time were you by any chance!!??

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 28, 2013, 10:54 pm

Zidane wrote:The Met Office have warned of a "significant storm" to hit South Wales and South West England from Sunday night until Monday morning.
Hurricane force winds exceeding 80 mph are expected in some exposed coastal areas.
There were hopes that the huge storm brewing out in the Atlantic might miss Britain but its path now shows that it will make landfall on the SW coast on Sunday night causing structural damage,bringing down trees and power lines and flooding.
Motorists have been warned about their journey to work on Monday morning and asked only to venture out if absolutely necessary.
Some have compared its potential to the Great Storm of 1987 and the record breaking gales in South Wales in 1989.
This sounds like a real belter ... i recall many years ago a similar storm hitting the East coast very hard with Cleethorpes and Grimesby taking a direct hit ....... local council officials estimated the storm (named Brian) caused in excess of 6 million pounds worth of IMPROVEMENTS !!!!

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » October 28, 2013, 11:50 pm

This storm was nicknamed Saint Jude for some strange reason Pie n mash.

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » October 28, 2013, 11:53 pm

vlad wrote:This storm was nicknamed Saint Jude for some strange reason.
Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes. Perhaps the meteorologists know something we do not?

Return to “World News”