Australia Network The End

World news discussion forum
marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » September 9, 2014, 3:42 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/world/a-dark-day- ... z3CmLObEtz

What a short sighted, nonsensical, moronic and utterly stupid decision. The Oz Network doesn't just provide the footy and news for expat Aussies. Its IELTS support programs and endless advertising for investment in Australian property and education show the role it plays linking Australia with domestic audiences. The network is a window into Australia for the ever growing and prospering Asia and Pacific tertiary educated middle classes and it is our avenue to connect with these tens of millions of people in the region. Simply the Abbot Liberal government in Australia is racist and sees no value in engaging with our neighbors. A disgrace.
No more holidays in Thailand for me during the footy season either unless something is sorted between now and next April.

Watch Me!!

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » September 9, 2014, 4:04 pm

It is a shame that we'll lose some quality programming.

As someone who had no idea about Oz footy I've grown to like the game and even went as far as to find out the rules and enjoy(ed) watching it.

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » September 9, 2014, 6:57 pm

Thoroughly agree with you Lew, some bastard who think they are important has spoilt a great Channel sending out great Docos and Current Affairs programmes. The Footy, we all know how important it is for not only the Aussie Expats but also the many such as Astana who have endeared themselves to the game. Hopefully someone will realize what a big mistake it will be.?????????????

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 9, 2014, 7:19 pm

I saw this channel a number of times when I was in Laos. There were some good dramas, well one anyway although I thought their news reports were not that informative, and Aussie Rules Football left me confused and prone to quickly changing the channel.

I must admit that the Australian Prime Minister did look good with his comments on the shooting down of the Malayasian flight over the Ukraine.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 10, 2014, 1:22 am

Yet more evidence that the Mad Monk is totally loopy. If the Australia Network was as pro Liberal as the Murdoch newspapers he wouldn't have canned it. I hope the ABC isn't going to be too damaged by him.

Unlike Laan Yaa Mo I thought it was very good for Asian news. I think the BBC doesn't have much time for Asia apart from globally significant events and the Middle East.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » September 10, 2014, 2:56 am

GT93 wrote:Unlike Laan Yaa Mo I thought it was very good for Asian news. I think the BBC doesn't have much time for Asia apart from globally significant events and the Middle East.
I can understand that thinking. The Wannabies are essentially white fellas in Asia while the BBC represents an island of Europeans. As such, their focus would be different.

Do you think the Kiwis are Asian oriented, GT?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Post by Nong Bua Dave » September 10, 2014, 7:38 am

Total stupidity from a government who are doing everything they can to help Rupert Murdoch to get hiw very biased Sky News channel into these countries. Shame on Tony Abbott

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 10, 2014, 10:02 am

Poor Jim Middleton,being made redundant after 44 years.I used to enjoy his Current Affairs programmes.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » September 10, 2014, 10:25 am

Zidane wrote:Poor Jim Middleton,being made redundant after 44 years.I used to enjoy his Current Affairs programmes.
Its the Asia Pacific section that is getting put off air, ABC television is still alive, with Abbots funding cuts maybe not well, Jim Middleton will still have a job though.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 10, 2014, 10:39 am

No,Jims off....see this report from "The Australian".....

A five-decade veteran of the ABC, Jim Middleton, and former South-East Asia correspondent Catherine McGrath arethe latest casualties of federal funding cuts to the public broadcaster.

Middleton, the ABC’s former chief political correspondent widely regarded as one of the straightest shooters in the Canberra press gallery, leaves the corporation today.

He began in 1970, beginning in the newsroom before moving onto covering NSW state and federal politics during the leaderships of Sir Bob Askin and John Gorton. He moved to Double J radio before becoming the ABC’s US correspondent in the 1980s in New York and Washington before returning for two decades in the Canberra bureau.

Middleton admitted to “a certain sense of bereavement after so long.”

“It’s a bit of a sense of loss,” he told Media. “It’s a big chunk of anyone’s life. I’ve been very lucky to have the opportunities the ABC’s provided over the years. I’ve been very fortunate, there’s no doubt about it.”

Middleton is the latest to take a redundancy package after the axing of the Australia Network’s contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Since 2008, he was the main current affairs anchor for Australia Network presenting programs including Newsline, Asia Pacific Focus and The World.

The ABC’s Asia Editor, Catherine McGrath, also leaves the ABC today after 25 years, following the redundancies of tens of Australia Network staff, including long-term Pacific correspondent Sean Dorney.

In an email to staff, ABC Director News, Kate Torney, said Middleton and McGrath made “an outstanding contribution to the ABC over many decades.”

“I have had the great pleasure of working closely with both over the years and want to thank them for the dedication, commitment and professionalism they brought to the teams they worked with and helped shape,” she said.

“Like so many across the ABC, I will miss their sound advice, the editorial leadership and the goodwill with which they have served ABC audiences.

Middleton, who was viewed as an objective political reporter under the reigns of Prime Ministers Howard, Hawke and Keating, would not comment on the axing of the Australia Network beyond noting it was “disappointing that the Australia Network didn’t remain one of this government’s priorities.”

“But governments make decisions and this was theirs,” he said. Middleton, who has a young family, said he would look to furher opportunities where his “skills and experience might find a new home.”
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » September 10, 2014, 11:39 am

That's sad news when people get shafted, especially someone like Jim Middleton who most Aussies grew up watching, always a straight shooter on fact only, fancy Abbott doing this as the footy finals are just starting. I only used cable here because of Aus Tv, looks like I will be switching to True Vision.

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » September 10, 2014, 12:49 pm

http://australianetwork.com/announcemen ... com/tuning

Still getting used to my first mac computer,copying and pasting was so easy before,anyway found this on the Australian network called Australia plus channel which will start broadcasting on the 29th of this month.
Mentions covering sports hopefully AFL next year,as well as news and current affairs broadcast through True visions and Thai cable holding.
For AFL through the net try something like http://www.wiziwig.tv

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » September 10, 2014, 1:04 pm

try this link http://australianetwork.com/announcement
also http://australianetwork.com/tuning.
and for another internet link for AFL http://www.vipbox.eu and then look under other sports for AFL.

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » September 29, 2014, 4:04 am

As mentioned earlier the Australian plus channel is up and running. Watching abc news this morning.with the new Australian plus logo on the tv.go to Australian network for tv guide. Hopefully footy on next year.late start to afl due to cricket world cup.

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Post by Nong Bua Dave » September 29, 2014, 9:00 am

I'm a bit confused about this. Like you Passout I watched the Australia Plus today on our home satellite. They are using the same slot as Australia Network - with no blocking...so far.
However, I contacted them a couple of weeks ago when they first announced the new channel would be on True and CTH. They told me it would no longer be available via direct to home satellite.
Maybe we should all shut up and hope if this is a tech not turning off the switch, we can keep watching!!
That'd stick it up Tony Abbott and Julie Bishop as well as thwarting the apparent plans Murdoch has for taking over...

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » September 29, 2014, 9:07 am

Hi Nong bue Dave,if you check the above link regards Tuning it mentions it's on Thai cable holding and True http://tv.australiaplus.com/tvguide
Good you got on the satellite,good to keep up with some news from back home.

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Post by Nong Bua Dave » September 29, 2014, 10:24 am

Thanks for the link. It was after seeing this last week, that I contacted them and was told, NO, we will no longer offer "direct to home", but being in Thailand I could view the channel via True or CTH. Maybe they had a re-think?
Or, maybe this is a "free-trial" period ?
I also notice looking at the program guide, they are carrying dramas and series such as Offspring, A Place to Call Home, Miss Fisher and a couple of others. The World, Q&A and in spite of Barry and Gerald saying so long, Insiders and Offisders will now show live (same time as Oz - 06:00 & 07:00 Thai time). Let's hope between now and the start of the next Footy season something is worked out for the AFL as well.Then we can all say, not just the Thai PM but the ABC has "put a smile back on our faces" !!! LOL

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 29, 2014, 5:36 pm

To all the AFL fans I am sure you will have a channel with your aussie rules by next season. To much money in the sponsorship not to have it broadcast internationally. A number years ago the rugby league was removed by Australia Network because it would not bid the required amount due to budget cuts (via labor gov't just to add equal bias to the liberal dislikers). Setanta then took up the Rugby league bid and I now get a better coverage of my preferred game, available in most SE Asian countries and repeated regularly through the week.
Don't miss anything else except for the Sunday morning sport and business shows.
I am sure it did have a good following of people from all groups in SE Asia. Short sighted move unless there is something else in the pipeline not advertised yet.
Just need a channel to show the aussie cricket now the season has changed.

mr passout
udonmap.com

Australia Network + latest news

Post by mr passout » December 10, 2014, 12:01 pm

HI ALL,

Just received the latest news letter from Australia plus advising that at least the same number of AFL games will be shown as last season.

Cheers Mike.
:D \:D/
Sports Lounge Newsletter

Wednesday, December 10, 2014
WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA PLUS TELEVISION

Welcome to the first edition of Sports Lounge for Australia Plus Television (A+ TV), the new international television service available across the Pacific and exclusively via rebroadcast partners in Asia, produced by ABC Australia. A+ TV was launched on Sunday 28 September 2014, following the Australian government's decision to end funding for the Australia Network.

In this newsletter, you will find some important updates regarding ways to watch A+ TV, including recent changes to satellite coverage. Read on for further detail about sports highlights on A+ TV during the holiday period, and an exciting update regarding the AFL Premiership season 2015.

If you would like to hear more about other programs airing on A+ TV; from drama, sports and award-winning kids' shows to business, documentaries, news and more, please sign up to our monthly What's On Australia Plus TV email newsletter here.

We hope you have a fun and enjoyable holiday season and we'll be in touch again in the New Year to connect you with some of the best TV programming and sports coverage Australia has to offer.

WAYS TO WATCH

A+ TV is available across the Pacific and exclusively via a network of rebroadcast partners in Asia. Head to our Ways to Watch page for more information about the service providers in your region, and how to access the service via satellite, in apartments and hotels.

Please note, the A+ TV satellite delivery is no longer available from Intelsat 19. Viewers who receive A+ TV directly from the satellite will need to re-tune their decoders to Intelsat 18 using the satellite parameters here. Viewers currently tuned to Intelsat 18 will also need to retune as the parameters have changed.

AFL

A+ TV will broadcast selected matches from the AFL 2015 Premiership Season. Viewers can expect to see the same number of games that was shown on Australia Network during the 2014 season. More details to come when footy fever kicks off in April next year.

SPORTS COVERAGE COMING UP

Stay connected with Australia this holiday season as A+ TV brings you live coverage of one of Australia's most iconic sporting events; the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Held on Boxing Day, the race is conducted on the waters of Sydney Harbour, the Tasman Sea, Storm Bay and the Derwent River.

Click here to see more featured sports coverage coming up on A+ TV including the 2014 Australasian Safari, A-League Highlights 2014/2015 and Football: W-League.

Subscribe Unsubscribe Contact Us
Australia Plus | Radio Australia - GPO Box 9994, Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA 2014.

Too many newsletters? You can unsubscribe.

Col Rose

Post by Col Rose » February 1, 2015, 3:45 pm

All the replies about Australia Plus are interesting BUT if one lives in a rural area ... even no landline etc., and does not have access to cable and is totally reliant on satellite then one is surely up the creek ... paddleless!!! Someone mentioned Intelsat 18 being at the unreachable location at 180 East. Yes, the mountain would need to be VERY high!! I'm currently checking out INSAT 4B .. located at 93.5 East and the schedule states that AUSTRALIA PLUS INDIA is available on a frequency beam (EIRP ...[dbw]) of 11150 V, tp 17, India, 0-53.6. I don't know what the "jargon" means BUT this I obtained from the LyngSat webpage and it states Insat 4B Lyngsat, last updated 2015-01-28. The webpage is
http://www.lyngsat.com/Insat-4B.HTML It would be appreciated if an "expert" could reply, say, JackSpratt

Return to “World News”