Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

World news discussion forum
Aardvark
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by Aardvark » October 4, 2014, 1:30 pm

Now that's more like it, Five of these for the price of one FA/35 .... https://paid.outbrain.com/network/redir ... 5Cc%3D&v=2

Earnest
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by Earnest » October 4, 2014, 5:59 pm

Yeah, I saw this a few weeks back. My experience is that industry charge far too much, include financial penalties in the contracts (e.g. cancel or amend the contract and it will hurt the customer - Royal Navy aircraft carriers spring to mind) and the government procurement people are woefully naive with respect to business and contracts, especially those with an engineering or piloting background.

The other side of this is that Textron recognise not every nation needs a jet with multi capabilities so we're touching on the user requirements here.

Did you know that Northrop did the same thing with the F5 fighter in the 50s and 60s? It was a cheap jet initially designed for the US but sold well around the world too. Apparently, it was easy to modify for international customer requirements, which was a winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

I'm glad Textron are doing this, governments pay far too much when it comes to air defence.

Good post, Aardy.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by Stantheman » October 4, 2014, 6:42 pm

Yep, it is great little fighter/surveillance plane that was built right here in Wichita Ks, about 10 miles from where I have a home. I hope that the smaller countries, who cannot afford the big fancy planes, will start buying some as it will be a nice help to local economy.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by FrazeeDK » October 4, 2014, 10:17 pm

the F-16 Falcon also started as an econo jet fighter, built simply and with a single engine to entice American allies into fielding it.. It worked out real well and is still in production today as the F-16E of which about 120 have been built for the Unite Arab Emirates.. This E model of aircraft is the first with a phased array AESA radar and of all exported versions is the only one technically more modern than U.S. Air Force models. Of course, the various improvements and "block" upgrades over the years has pushed up the price markedly... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dy ... ing_Falcon
Dave

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by DRILLER » October 5, 2014, 6:40 pm

not all aircraft types are availab le to all that want them.

politics plays a bigger role when deciding who can have what.
temptation is a .....

Earnest
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by Earnest » October 5, 2014, 6:54 pm

Which worked in favour for the UK in the 80s when the US Jewish lobby got anxious about Saudi Arabia buying American fighters. The Saudis purchased the Panavia Tornado instead - not really a dog fighter but a modified bomber with fuel conservant engines. :shock: Still, well done to British and European industry for exploiting an opportunity.

ITAR* plays a big part in what US companies can sell to Johnny Foreigner (UK included).

*International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by Bonanza » October 5, 2014, 11:32 pm

The British war economics is as follows: Build fighter @ £20million, train pilot @ £2million, provide support team etc £5 million, Fuel and running cost @ £35,000 per hour, Missile @ £500,000 each. So, fly a pair of fighters from Cyprus to ISIS held Iraq = £25 million and then blow up a truck !! I'm glad that we are getting value for money. [-X

Earnest
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by Earnest » October 6, 2014, 12:13 am

Thank you, George Galloway, I'd be interested to see where you sourced those figures. :-k

GT93
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by GT93 » October 6, 2014, 2:49 am

I think George copped a nasty whack or two recently from someone. I hope you're on the mend fiesty George.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Cheap Fighter Aircraft.

Post by FrazeeDK » October 6, 2014, 9:24 am

well, the "cost per dead bad guy" must be about a million dollars each.... The news says the U.S. has probably spent a 800 million dollars on its anti-ISIS efforts thus far... Note this linked article is from August 30th so extrapolate the figures accordingly and add the fact the effort has been much expanded.. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iraq-t ... ay-n192051
Dave

Return to “World News”