The Passing of a Giant

World news discussion forum
jackspratt
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by jackspratt » October 21, 2014, 9:12 am

(Edward) Gough Whitlam - in my view, the greatest Prime Minister in Australia's short history - died overnight, aged 98.

This post, lifted from the comments section of the ABC News online section, expresses it better than I could:
The most important figure in Australian political history has passed. His legacy has shaped Australian life more than any other. His vision was matched by his courage. An intellectual giant walking through a sea of self interested mediocrity. Compare and contrast to what came before and since to see the true mark of the man. A sad day for the country.

For those who are not Australian, or were not around during the 3 short years he had in office to transform Australia, before the (likely CIA linked) conspiracy that saw him removed him from office, here is a short list of his achievements:
Whitlam's achievements and reforms

Universal health care through Medibank (now Medicare)
Free university education
Indigenous land rights
Racial Discrimination Act
End to conscription
Abolition of death penalty (federal)
Diplomatic recognition of China
Family Law Act
Legal Aid
World's first no-fault divorce procedures
Welfare payments for mothers and homeless
Reform of Australian Labor Party
Launched construction of National Gallery
Bought Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles for $1.3m
Australian Film Commission
Australia Council

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-21/f ... es/5828836
Missing from this list is his withdrawing of Australian forces from the immoral war in Vietnam.

=D> =D> =D>
Attachments
Whitlam.jpg
Whitlam.jpg (6.23 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

the-monk
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by the-monk » October 21, 2014, 10:55 am

I don t know about Australian politics but judging by the long list of his accomplishments, in a so short time period.. i must certainly agree that the Entire World lost a GIANT. Canada had done similarly 10 years earlier. These were the years that both Australia and Canada distanced themselves from the USA s control, unfortunately in the last 10-15 years we have become front for the USA all over the world.

It goes to show that a few good men/women willing to serve their country can accomplish miracles...... When will we see the coming of such a GIANT in Thailand. ???
RIP MR GIANT JOB WELL DONE...

fatbob
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by fatbob » October 21, 2014, 10:59 am

He was a great leader well ahead of his time with a great vision for Australia to be independent from the superpowers, a sad day indeed.
I wonder in such a short time how Australia has gone from the likes of Gough Whitlam to Tony Abbott, 'its time' to wake up again Australia!

downunder
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by downunder » October 21, 2014, 11:53 am

No one could doubt the Leadership of Gough Whitlam, brilliant forethought to Australia's future. His many changes to the Australian needs for a better way of life.
His downfall however was the Khemlani Loans Affair where he wanted to Borrow $4 Billion Dollars to finance other developments within Australia. If you want the full story Google khemlani loans.
Huge Man will be sadly missed, A Great Australian. R.I.P

GT93
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by GT93 » October 21, 2014, 12:55 pm

Because he was bagged so much and so often by the right I wasn't aware of many of these very big pluses. He certainly changed Australia for the better. It makes me wonder what more recent PMs of many countries might get remembered for. Sod all.

Just getting rid of the death penalty would get my salute. He had a good innings. NZ media seem slow reporting his death.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Aardvark
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by Aardvark » October 21, 2014, 5:00 pm

RIP Gough ....

Astana
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by Astana » October 21, 2014, 5:12 pm

Keenly felt a great reformer... RIP

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

The Passing of a Giant

Post by wokkawombat » October 21, 2014, 5:30 pm

RIP Comrade
Gurgle, Gurgle...

marjamlew
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by marjamlew » October 21, 2014, 7:23 pm

Tonight on the 7:30 report Keating described Gough as, 'a grenade thrower.' A brilliant description. As a high school student I was totally taken in with the, 'crash through or crash,' approach to running a country. The coup d'etat that ended the government or, 'the crash,' was an appropriate ending in a Shakespearean sense if not in a just sense.
A visionary and flawed genius. Rest in Peace Mr Whitlam.

Have a look on ABC iview for tonights 7:30 report:
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/7-30/N ... 00#playing
Watch Me!!

dtammakhung
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by dtammakhung » October 21, 2014, 9:05 pm

A true genius with a heart to match, a visionary light years ahead. I salute you.

GT93
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by GT93 » October 22, 2014, 1:27 am

Two things come to my mind reading about this era. One is the Libs must have gone to sleep during their previous 2 decades of government. There was a lot that needed doing when Gough's time came.

The other was all the bloody Labor infighting even in Gough's day. It made me think Gillard and Rudd were pretty similar.

Harpo
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by Harpo » October 22, 2014, 2:39 am

Mr Cough Whitlam...1916-2014 R.I.P.

Some of Mr Whitlam's legacy was documented in Jack Spratt's post

I mostly remember Mr Whitlam for bring our Armed Forces back home from Vietnam.

A much loved person (and politician) in Australian life. I am sure that Mr Whitlam (and his wife Margarite R.I.P) will be remembered for years to come ........harpo
Great Southern Land

GT93
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by GT93 » October 22, 2014, 2:07 pm

I was in primary school in NZ when Whitlam was Prime Minster in Australia. Some of you Aussie fellas have more years under your belt than me. Were you at risk of conscription for the Vietnam War? If so,were you able to avoid it like I think young Americans could by studying at university?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by jackspratt » October 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

1. Yes - in fact my number came out, but based on good advice, I "failed" the medical.

2. No - if my memory serves me correctly. I was at Uni (part-time), and I don't think you could get a deferment.

Sport
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by Sport » October 22, 2014, 2:42 pm

Imo only, I thought he was an arsehole. Nearly bankrupting Australia, trying to secure loans from dodgy countries. As for the Vietnam issue, imo he was a ...... Bringing the troops back and letting others do the work. I missed out by 1 number, but was prepared to go over there and help mates out, no matter what the reason.

I would not piss on him if he was on fire.

fatbob
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by fatbob » October 22, 2014, 3:53 pm

Sport wrote: by Sport » October 22, 2014, 2:42 pm

Imo only, I thought he was an arsehole. Nearly bankrupting Australia, trying to secure loans from dodgy countries. As for the Vietnam issue, imo he was a ****. Bringing the troops back and letting others do the work. I missed out by 1 number, but was prepared to go over there and help mates out, no matter what the reason.

I would not piss on him if he was on fire.

I bet you thought Joh Bjelke-Peterson was the man eh Rob.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

The Passing of a Giant

Post by wokkawombat » October 22, 2014, 4:30 pm

I greatly admired Gough Whitlam.
There are a few things that need to be straightened out though.
The Whitlam Government was elected on 2 December 1972. By this time the bulk of Australian troops had been withdrawn from Vietnam leaving the training team (AATV) in place along with some other small units. The withdrawal took place prior to the Whitlam Government being elected.

The Whitlam government did end National Service but was not responsible for " Bringing the Troops Home".
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Sport
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by Sport » October 22, 2014, 8:00 pm

Joe from Queenland was a great politician imo. He cleared the streets of the ---- and made it a bit more safe for the public. If you wanted to demonstrate without a permit, well bad luck.

Thanks for the correction about the Vietnam war John, National Service is whats needed now. I still dont like him.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by jackspratt » October 22, 2014, 8:31 pm

Most thinking people, including myself, would want to vomit when the corrupt, criminal, political midget Bjelke-Peterson appears on the same page as Whitlam.

None are so blind as those who will not see.

p.s. wokka - thanks for clarifying the record re Vietnam. Although one thing I overlooked in my OP was that Whitlam also had released the jailed conscientious objectors. =D>

downunder
udonmap.com

The Passing of a Giant

Post by downunder » October 22, 2014, 8:53 pm

I thoroughly agree with you Jack, about Joh Bjelke Peterson. Born in New Zealand 1911, finished up a disgrace in Politics Queensland. A corrupt bumbling old ?????

Return to “World News”