The rise of the sober bar

World news discussion forum
GT93
udonmap.com

The rise of the sober bar

Post by GT93 » May 16, 2019, 7:58 am

"A bar without booze sounds like an oxymoron, like an aquarium without fish or a bakery that doesn’t serve bread. But in cities like New York and London, where bars often function as second living rooms for apartment dwellers with little space, an alcohol-free nightlife option can appeal to people who, for whatever reason, would prefer not to drink."

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201905 ... h-no-booze

You'd be a brave man to try opening a sober bar for farang in Udon. :lol:

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: The rise of the sober bar

Post by glalt » May 16, 2019, 9:02 am

We all have the option of whether to drink or not. Just another silly idea.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 16, 2019, 10:11 pm

"But in cities like New York and London, where bars often function as second living rooms for apartment dwellers with little space, an alcohol-free nightlife option can appeal to people who, for whatever reason, would prefer not to drink."

They have been available for best part of 2000 years ..... some call em churches ...... alcohol free, plenty of space, open 24 hrs/day and with live entertainment a couple of times a week =;

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » May 17, 2019, 12:14 am

I went out to a bar in Inverness a few weeks back and there were a whole load of youngsters celebrating a 19th birthday, quite strangely several of them were carrying cereal boxes and eating handfulls of rice crispies and frosties and another youngster was dishing out what looked like the biggest bag of jelly sweets ive ever seen lol.

A few were drinking but it felt more like a kiddies birthday party, though they were pleasant enough and were harmless, its definetly changing times and hardened drinkers are on the decline in many places.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2019, 10:19 am

Better crack down on that pretty quick then ........... side effects of Rice Crispies & Frosties mix can be quite serious =; (Dont ever mix with milk [-X ) and someone with jelly baby overdose could be fatal :-k

I knew Inverness was a pretty long way from civilization, but surely even there the kids can get their hands on regular drugs :lol:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 17, 2019, 12:05 pm

These youngsters will be turning up with their Rice Crispies at Nana Plaza soon. That's going to be confusing. :?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2019, 1:05 pm

GT93 wrote:
May 17, 2019, 12:05 pm
These youngsters will be turning up with their Rice Crispies at Nana Plaza soon. That's going to be confusing. :?
Probably be made welcome by the Fruity loops that have been at Nana Plaza for years

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 18, 2019, 6:32 am

Well, that's the old farang reaction covered. :lol:

I don't know how the girls might feel about being chatted up by sober pale faced youngsters with a healthy sense of entitlement chewing some sweets.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 18, 2019, 3:41 pm

GT93 wrote:
May 18, 2019, 6:32 am
Well, that's the old farang reaction covered. :lol:

I don't know how the girls might feel about being chatted up by sober pale faced youngsters with a healthy sense of entitlement chewing some sweets.
Wonder what mark up the bar owners will make for a "lady bowl" of Coco pops :lol:

Strikes me the "going rate" for us ol codgers might well go up if the bargirl is still 100% sober :roll:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 19, 2019, 8:21 am

Yes, mongers in Bangkok and Pattaya better get stuck in before the fun times get even more expensive. I don't think we'll see lady bowls of Coco pops in Udon for a while.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 19, 2019, 12:09 pm

GT93 wrote:
May 19, 2019, 8:21 am
Yes, mongers in Bangkok and Pattaya better get stuck in before the fun times get even more expensive. I don't think we'll see lady bowls of Coco pops in Udon for a while.
But the Sugar Poofs gang have already got a firm hold in Day & Night, and the Frosties mob (there to accept drinks only and always taken home by girlfriend/Tom) are increasing =;

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 19, 2019, 3:48 pm

Apparently I ought to get out more but that kind of post isn't encouraging. It makes a beer in front of the telly or the laptop seem quite appealing.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 20, 2019, 4:58 pm

Don't worry too much GT, I've heard that the Sugar Poofs in D & N are quite happy to provide a beer in front of the bars telly and a "laptop" for you :lol:

Return to “World News”