Vietnam aims for Thailand’s auto-making crown

World news discussion forum
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » July 31, 2019, 7:32 pm

Made-in-Vietnam cars have just hit the market, the first step in Hanoi’s grand plan to become a new auto-production hub.
Vinfast, a subsidiary of Vietnam’s Vingroup, the communist country’s largest private conglomerate, last month rolled out its first made-in-Vietnam automobile model, a combustion engine hatchback that at a sticker price of about US$19,000 has taken on Japanese and Korean brands in the nation’s fast-revving domestic market.

The company hopes to launch 12 different models of automobiles including electric vehicles by 2020, aiming at a production of 250,000 vehicles a year in the first phase of a $3.5 billion investment in a 335-hectare production facility in the northern coastal town of Haiphong. ...
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... ing-crown/

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Vietnam aims for Thailand’s auto-making crown

Post by Giggle » July 31, 2019, 7:44 pm

Now all they have to do is eliminate the competition and get a impenetrable domestic market -- like South Korea and Japan have done. (Ever see a Japanese car in Seoul? Me neither) Ever see a Hyundai in Tokyo? Me neither.) Absolute protectionism works, especially in a communist framework.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 31, 2019, 8:07 pm

Vietnam is firing on all cylinders, from car production, to smartphones, to agriculture to tourism. Vietnam is willing to put in the required efforts and sweat to develop all sectors of its economy. Vietnam like China, like Thailand, like India must move from unskilled labour industries such as textiles to value-added productions, cars, phones. If the Vietnamese tourism industry is an example of what and how they do things, then the Vietnamese future is bright,

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » July 31, 2019, 8:40 pm

trouble is the rest of the makers are quickly tooling up for electric and hybrid vehicles before they all fall off the edge of the cliff for sales of gas motors..all TV ads are for electric nowadays
the only good Tory is a lavatory

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 1, 2019, 8:56 am

Dont know how old that article was , but i saw a Vinfast in Tesco car park on Thai plates over a year ago .
Nice looking car too .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 2, 2019, 9:02 am

Hmm, I wonder what the import tariff was on that Vinfast to bring it into Thailand?
Dave

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » August 2, 2019, 9:14 am

I may be wrong, but I believe that trade between the ASEAN members is tariff free.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 2, 2019, 10:12 am

Vietnam vexes foreign automakers with import rules
Source: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Vietnam ... port-rules

Heat on Vietnam car barriers rises
Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/14 ... iers-rises

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 2, 2019, 2:36 pm

E bikes and scooters are all the rage now in europe ..none are gas powered
the only good Tory is a lavatory

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 3, 2019, 10:11 am

bamakmak wrote:
August 2, 2019, 9:14 am
I may be wrong, but I believe that trade between the ASEAN members is tariff free.
I think your right . The problem with ASEAN is much the same as the problems with the E U .They only work if everyone plays by the rules .
Adhering to rules is not really in Asians DNA , as we all know when we drive on the roads . =;

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 9, 2019, 9:34 am

the-monk wrote:
August 2, 2019, 10:12 am
Vietnam vexes foreign automakers with import rules
Source: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Vietnam ... port-rules

Heat on Vietnam car barriers rises
Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/14 ... iers-rises
Pretty much emulates what the nascent Thai auto industry did back in the early 1980's. Apart from doubling the import duty on full imports, I recall they required manufacturers to increase the (then) 30% local content in CKD (completely knocked down) cars being assembled in Thailand, mostly from imported components. Thailand had a plan to assemble foreign cars in the country AND create a regional automotive supply industry to feed these assembly lines. If I am not mistaken, the local content for cars assembled in Thailand is now maybe 70% or higher? Also, the manufacturers have also ensured that the quality of CBU (completely built up) cars assembled here for export meets the standards of European and Australian markets, both in safety and environmental protections.

Reading that the Vietnamese rules have already forced GM to pull out indicates a lack of enthusiasm from foreign automakers to go along with this dream. At least the Vietnamese are not going down the same road as Malaysia did with their ill-conceived, home designed and home built Proton Saga. Maybe they will try that after this current, flawed endeavor falls apart but finding a Japanese partner willing to snub their long-standing ties with Thailand might be difficult.

Return to “World News”