Watching Video games & GUNS
Mental Health & GUNS
Failures in Society & GUNS
Empty and worthless lives & GUNS,
Revenge & GUNS
Individuals self worth & Guns
Racism & GUNS
Religious Intolerance & GUNS

All of the above have been blamed for the mass shootings but there is ONLY ONE common denominator.

Remove the "& GUNS" from every one and you get a problem, an unfortunate situation, a shame, something that need attending to, but you DO NOT HAVE MASS MURDER

Essex
udonmap.com

Re: And yet ANOTHER mass shooting in the US

Post by Essex » August 6, 2019, 8:46 am

wrong Lone Star, 100 of mass shooting in USA were committed by mad gun owner with an AUTOMATIC large magazine styled assault rifles. Ditto the Christchurch killer where that country has the good sense to now ban automatic weapons.

A question for you Lone Star, would the huge murder count in mass slaughters in USA be possible without assault, high capacity weapons?
I am independently poor

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 6, 2019, 12:52 pm

Meanwhile, in Toronto, Canada,
Gunshots rang out on street corners, in nightclubs and at house parties across the city over the long weekend, injuring 15, Toronto police said Monday.

“This is not a normal weekend in the city of Toronto,” Chief Mark Saunders said at a news conference. “I did not anticipate in a three-day or a two-day span that I’d be talking about [15] people shot.”

The 14th and 15th victims were shot Monday afternoon in the Lawrence Heights neighbourhood. A man was transported to hospital with serious, but non-life threatening injuries, according to police. Another person later arrived at hospital with a gunshot wound.

It was the 12th shooting incident police responded to in the span of three days. The incidents do not appear to be connected, Chief Saunders said.

Early Monday morning, Toronto police responded to a shooting at the District 45 nightclub in North York, where five people were shot. Gunshots erupted inside the busy venue just before 2 a.m., causing people to flee the scene in a panic, police said. Shell casings have also been recovered outside the club. Chief Saunders urged anyone with information on the shooting to contact police.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... onto-over/
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

no , it wouldn't be possible. something needs to be
done , probably dramatic. a large % of yanks would
agree with you. this year worst in living memory

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 6, 2019, 1:34 pm

The same out my way. We went down the dramatic response route but it takes time to kick in. The NZ authorities were very poorly prepared for an attack by the far right. It takes time to collect the now banned weapons. Hopefully members of the public will tell the police about banned weapons that don't get handed in. I would.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

credit to NZ , enacted change & change is underway . I bet they're still picking up guns
in UK 20 yrs on. it will take 50 yrs in states :-#

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 6, 2019, 2:14 pm

The major problem is that only law abiding citizens obey the law. Therefore creating more silly laws does no good except to disarm decent people. As mentioned before, extended magazines are used in mass killings. I have upset some of my gun nut friends for suggesting that these types of guns are not necessary. I belonged to gun clubs and guns were a hobby of mine for many years. In fact I had a federal firearms license. True sportsman do not use semi automatic rifles or assault rifles that use extended magazines. A rifle with an extended magazine is easily identified by most people. Fully automatic rifles are not easily identified just by looking at them. All assault rifles should be modified for box magazines that hold no more than five shells. I'm talking about permanently modifying assault rifles so that it would take a skilled gunsmith to modify these rifles back to be able to use an an easily identified detachable magazine. A mass murderer would never consider having to load an attached box magazine one shell at a time by hand. It takes only a few seconds to drop an empty magazine and insert another thirty round magazine. Those people who own assault rifles would not have to give them up, they would just have to have them modified.

Background checks are a slippery slope. Who determines people who are unfit to have a firearm? I certainly wouldn't trust the government to make that determination.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » August 6, 2019, 2:19 pm

mech_401 wrote:
August 6, 2019, 1:56 am
GT93 wrote:
August 5, 2019, 2:20 pm
I suspect this problem is going to get worse before it gets better. I think the US is sliding along a downhill slope on this one.
i tell you what , clean-up the methamphetamine problem in NZ , and the degradation of the country's social fabric. then come and lecture
Mith and dregs are a worlwide priblim. Cundu's crim reate is sux times higha thun Nuw Zuland. NZ's soscial fibric is damnd guud, a fust rate Prume Munusta en one of the must tulerent nutions in the wuld. Bin there muybe 50 tims, ulways a plisure once I overcum thur usuge of tutured vawls.
I am independently poor

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 6, 2019, 2:35 pm

Even if it takes 50 years to get ALL guns off the streets in the States ..........every single person who avoids being killed in the 51st/52nd etc year will benefit and it will have been worth it

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 6, 2019, 4:27 pm

Funnily enough the day before the post on meth I signed a petition to try to get a local meth head trespassed from the local shopping strip. After I signed it I was shown photos of where the poor chap was living. He had a mattress on dirt under a local commercial building. I felt a bit mean that I had signed the petition. I hear that at the end of the day he kind of intimidates local cafes, particularly those with Asian proprietors, to give him food that they might otherwise throw out.

Back to firearms - the Americans would need to secure their Mexican border if they are to successfully restrict firearms.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » August 6, 2019, 4:30 pm

Nice bit of common sense glalt.

Exclude those with criminal records for proscribed offences such as assault, and many stealing offences, etc. In Oz, guns are automatically seized if there are any cases of domestic violence, mental checks are harder without mandatory reportable conditions, but allow police to confiscate weapons given reasonable cause and subject to a speedy judicial review.

Different culture, but works well in Oz where despite misinformation from some quarters, it is perfectly easy to own a gun, just not the types than can be used in mass killings. Open carry is banned and handguns are difficult to be approved. Some progress in these areas is badly overdue in US.
I am independently poor

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 6, 2019, 7:31 pm

they need them guns for the feral pigs running wild

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... small-kids

What about the 30-50 feral hogs? Man's defense of assault weapons goes viral

A Twitter user’s loaded question has been widely mocked, but there’s actually more to it than many have assumed
the only good Tory is a lavatory

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 6, 2019, 9:29 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 6, 2019, 7:51 am
U.S.
There have been 255 mass shootings in the US so far in 2019
errr No [-X [-X

There have been far more than that ......... they only count the ones where FOUR or more are killed [-X massaged figures again :evil:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 6, 2019, 9:32 pm

oh thanks
Thanks Stat

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » August 6, 2019, 9:35 pm

The moron-in-chief visits El Paso and Dayton tomorrow. The words fart and spacesuit spring to mind.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 6, 2019, 9:39 pm

feral hogs are a very real threat? have you seen
the videos? ghastly? anyway, if we ban the guns
this year maybe by 2070 they'll be gone. its done

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 7, 2019, 8:49 am

Feral pigs are a real problem. They continue to be a problem because they are so smart. It is thought that they are smarter than dogs.That said, assault rifles with extended magazines are certainly not needed. The hunters just need to be better shots. Some farmers are even making money by allowing Rambo type guys to set up and hunt on their land. Killing vermin has become a sport. High powered very accurate rifles are the correct tool. Saying that they need high capacity magazine assault rifles is a feeble argument. The most successful exterminators use baited high tech traps and catch 30 or 40 at a time. It takes several weeks of feeding them to convince the pigs that it is safe to go through the radio controlled gates.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 7, 2019, 8:55 am

How long have feral pigs been a problem ?
These assault rifles have been around as long
Must be bad shots or too lazy to actually hunt them

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 7, 2019, 2:46 pm

An American columnist asks: "Have we become a ----- country?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

He notes many countries warn their citizens about travel in the US. That's probably not surprising given how much news the mass shootings attract and the columnist opines:

"... maybe it’s because the president of the United States has been declaring to all the world that gangs and illegal aliens have “overrun” the border and flooded the country with drugs. American cities are so “dangerous,” “filthy” and full of rodents that “no human being” would want to live in them. The leadership of the FBI is “corrupt” and the Justice Department is so dubious that “Justice” must be put in quotes. There is “no border security,” there are “killers coming in and murderers coming in,” and “deadly sanctuary cities” release “dangerous criminals.” Machete-wielding MS-13 gang members — “animals” — have “transformed peaceful parks and beautiful, quiet neighborhoods into bloodstained killing fields.” The United States has “tremendous numbers of criminals” and “incentives for Smuggling Children, Trafficking Women, and Selling Drugs.” American carnage!

That vision of America, as outlined by Trump, is largely fiction. But our friends around the world would be justified in warning their citizens about certain realities of Trump’s America."

I think it's a fair point that people from other countries are concerned about what they see and hear. It's not what we want to see and hear.

Return to “World News”