Lebanon explosion - the witch hunt begins

World news discussion forum
tamada
udonmap.com

Lebanon explosion - the witch hunt begins

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 11:28 am

After the colossal explosion in Beirut port last Tuesday, the blame game has kicked off. The material was confiscated from a ship that was seized back in 2013 with the ammonium nitrate being moved off the boat into port storage in 2014. With the ship owner bankrupt and the cargo abandoned by it's owner, the port authorities petitioned the judicial authorities at least six times between 2014 and 2017 to allow the dangerous, stored cargo to be auctioned off for re-export. No response was ever received from the judiciary.

The government has ordered officials at the port who oversaw the storage of the ammonium nitrate to be put under house arrest pending the completion of the investigation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53668493

I wonder if these judges are also among the people being placed under house arrest?

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: Lebanon explosion - the witch hunt begins

Post by GT93 » August 6, 2020, 1:08 pm

Other governments will be scrambling to check their countries aren't sitting on similar time bombs.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 6, 2020, 1:27 pm

Same same stuff but different place, to the Tianjin Port explosion 2015. You can see it on google videos.
I can understand the concern for the Lebanese citizens.
My townhouse in TEDA had some door rattling late that night. We were 3 km from the blast site.
Evacuated for 4 days to Tianjin City because of fears of the airborne chemical problem.
At least Beirut will have some transparency with info as opposed to what the Chinese gave out. Especially info on low death rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 2:16 pm

Dodged a bullet their Barney. The only thing that came out of the Tianjin explosion was maybe $9 billion of improvements but some of them will be questionable.

However, I seriously doubt that the Lebanese can deliver a straight answer when it's their innate governmental corruption that probably has been a prime contributor to this disaster. It was either too many people wanting a cut of the proceeds if this stuff was auctioned off or not being paid enough to make any auction legal. Or both. Meanwhile the heat and humidity gradually made the ammonium nitrate into a great big, rock-solid bomb.

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Post by laksnrub » August 6, 2020, 7:08 pm

Just a case of smoko time, I think I'll sit here and light one up, with a cuppa
Quality is best done first

Return to “World News”