A Shadow of Darkness From Australia.

World news discussion forum
AlexO
udonmap.com

Rules of War

Post by AlexO » November 19, 2020, 1:49 pm

It said 25 serving or former soldiers had carried out crimes or been "accessories" to them. Most allegations concerned soldiers within the Special Air Service (SAS) elite unit.

Gen Campbell said none of the alleged killings could be "described as being in the heat of battle".

"None were alleged to have occurred in circumstances in which the intent of the perpetrator was unclear, confused or mistaken," he told reporters on Thursday.

"And every person spoken to by the inquiry thoroughly understood the law of armed conflict and the rules of engagement under which they operated."

And there was me thinking it was only the Brits who throw their service people under a bus. Noted that Gen. Campbell did not forfeit his pension as an acknowledgment that he is an Officer in the organisation who allowed this to occur (buck stops here???). Does Gen Campbell acknowledge that the vast amount of deaths and maiming's that happened to ISFOR personnel did not happen during the "heat of battle" but during a terrorist war. Good old saying, 'Fight Terror with Terror'

jackspratt
udonmap.com

A Shadow of Darkness From Australia.

Post by jackspratt » November 19, 2020, 5:31 pm

A huge stain on the reputation of the Australian Defence Force, and a slap in the face of those who served, and continue to serve, with honour.
The digger mythology that's long sustained Australia's self-image has been shaken by a murderous few with maximum firepower and discretion but minimum oversight.

Consequently, a nation that has cherished and so proudly celebrated its soldier heritage must now confront the fact that some of its military elite may be cold-blooded killers.

Nineteen from the Special Air Service Regiment and 2nd Commando Regiment have stained the distinguished service of their colleagues and eroded the moral authority of the Australian Defence Force.

Some decorated "heroes" now stand accused of being war criminals. It may take courts up to 10 years to decide their fate. Awards for valour, gallantry and bravery will be torn up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-19/ ... y/12899984
There may be a VC, amongst other medals and awards, handed back in due course. Along with a number of prosecutions.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Rules of War

Post by jackspratt » November 19, 2020, 8:20 pm

Post by AlexO » November 19, 2020, 1:49 pm
It said 25 serving or former soldiers had carried out crimes or been "accessories" to them. Most allegations concerned soldiers within the Special Air Service (SAS) elite unit.

Gen Campbell said none of the alleged killings could be "described as being in the heat of battle".
No reference, no perspective, no intelligence.

Yawn!
Last edited by jackspratt on November 19, 2020, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 19, 2020, 8:37 pm

I cannot imagine how it must have been to serve in such awful theate of war. I have a relative who lost both legs, and is a total mental wreck.

I am also the son of a professional soldier.

There is no simple balance. When do we flip between being a normal human being. then becoming the same sort of monster that we oppose?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 19, 2020, 9:02 pm

You raise some relevant points, Whistles.

But bear in mind, these are no ordinary "grunts" - they are the elite of the elite (in military terms at least). I read somewhere it is estimated the cost to train an (Australian) SAS soldier is somewhere north of $1 million.

What is in the report indicates is that in a minority of cases, that money was wasted.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: A Shadow of Darkness From Australia.

Post by Whistler » November 19, 2020, 9:52 pm

Jack, I have no answer.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 19, 2020, 11:02 pm

jackspratt wrote:
November 19, 2020, 5:31 pm
A huge stain on the reputation of the Australian Defence Force, and a slap in the face of those who served, and continue to serve, with honour.
The digger mythology that's long sustained Australia's self-image has been shaken by a murderous few with maximum firepower and discretion but minimum oversight.

Consequently, a nation that has cherished and so proudly celebrated its soldier heritage must now confront the fact that some of its military elite may be cold-blooded killers.

Nineteen from the Special Air Service Regiment and 2nd Commando Regiment have stained the distinguished service of their colleagues and eroded the moral authority of the Australian Defence Force.

Some decorated "heroes" now stand accused of being war criminals. It may take courts up to 10 years to decide their fate. Awards for valour, gallantry and bravery will be torn up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-19/ ... y/12899984
There may be a VC, amongst other medals and awards, handed back in due course. Along with a number of prosecutions.
Have you actually reviewed what nonsense you have posted. Your favourite saying Evidence, checkable evidence but there is nothing factual in any of your toilet tissue claims. Having worked with some of your Countrymen and found them to be excellent people who are not really homicidal maniacs (Same as most USA troops i have had the pleasure to work with) I find it absolutely disgraceful that you post yourself as a senior military rank and then degenerate the people who try and keep the free world free so you can keep spouting your bilious nonsensence with impunity. You sir are a (cannot say as Moderators will put me in the naughty chair) not nice person.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 20, 2020, 1:46 am

Whistler wrote:
November 19, 2020, 9:52 pm
Jack, I have no answer.
Honours and awards
26 January 2003 – Member of the Order of Australia (AM) – "For exceptional service to the Australian Defence Force as the Commanding Officer of the 2nd Battalion Group during operational service in East Timor"[4]
11 June 2012 – Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) – "For distinguished command and leadership in action as Commander Joint Task Force 633 on Operation SLIPPER from January 2011 to December 2011"[5]
12 June 2017 – Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) – "For distinguished service as Head Military Strategic Commitments, Deputy Chief of Army, and Chief of Army"[11]
13 June 2017 – Commander of the Legion of Merit (United States) – "For exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services from February 2012 to June 2017"[12]
14 September 2017 – Pingat Jasa Gemilang (Tentera) [Meritorious Service Medal (Military)] (Singapore) – "For significant contributions towards strengthening defence ties between the Australian Army and The Singapore Army"[13][14]

Done nothing from 2012 and then loads of awards in 2017 but it was all SNCO's and soldiers who did it. Cheers Sir, the way to lead.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 20, 2020, 6:38 am

AlexO wrote:
November 19, 2020, 11:02 pm
Have you actually reviewed what nonsense you have posted. Your favourite saying Evidence, checkable evidence but there is nothing factual in any of your toilet tissue claims. Having worked with some of your Countrymen and found them to be excellent people who are not really homicidal maniacs (Same as most USA troops i have had the pleasure to work with) I find it absolutely disgraceful that you post yourself as a senior military rank and then degenerate the people who try and keep the free world free so you can keep spouting your bilious nonsensence with impunity. You sir are a (cannot say as Moderators will put me in the naughty chair) not nice person.
None are so blind........ :?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 20, 2020, 6:47 am

Calling people childish names is not going to change what is in the Report, Alex.
Australian special forces soldiers allegedly committed 39 murders in Afghanistan, and 19 current or former soldiers will face possible prosecution and the stripping of their medals after the findings of an exhaustive defence inquiry exposed a culture of cover-ups and deceit.

The Special Air Service Regiment's second squadron will be disbanded following the damning findings of a "warrior-hero" culture that contributed to criminal conduct, including unlawful killings..........
The award of the Meritorious Unit Citation to Special Operations Task Group (Task Force 66) be revoked, and distinguished service awards to commanders in the Special Air Service Regiment between 2008 and 2012 be reviewed;
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 56g53.html

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 20, 2020, 4:09 pm

I served in uniform for nearly 2 decades but never had the ability, sense of dedication or willing personal self sacrifice to come anywhere near being called Special Forces. Worked in support of them on occasions and their willingness to put their lives on the line to allow certain people to gloat over an alleged action or 2 just disgusts me. Most of these guys have wiped better off the soles of their boots.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 20, 2020, 7:27 pm

'allegedly', 'possible prosecution'. 'commanders in the Special Air Service Regiment between 2008 and 2012 be reviewed'; Not one actual fact just left wing bilge talk again.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 20, 2020, 8:03 pm

u9g3k.jpg

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 20, 2020, 8:18 pm

AlexO wrote:
November 20, 2020, 7:27 pm
'allegedly', 'possible prosecution'. 'commanders in the Special Air Service Regiment between 2008 and 2012 be reviewed'; Not one actual fact just left wing bilge talk again.
Alexo,

The person in charge of the investigation is decidedly right wing. Stop taliking crap, this is a subject that has legs. If there is nothing wrong, then the truth in a decidedly non partison review will exonerate.

If otherwise, then otherwise.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 20, 2020, 8:26 pm

AlexO wrote:
You mean the bodycam footage in "Four Corners" is all fake and ordinary soldiers lie?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 20, 2020, 8:37 pm

tamada wrote:
November 20, 2020, 8:26 pm

You mean the bodycam footage in "Four Corners" is all fake and ordinary soldiers lie?
No - only the left wing soldiers.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 21, 2020, 7:03 am

Whistler wrote:
November 20, 2020, 8:18 pm
AlexO wrote:
Alexo,

The person in charge of the investigation is decidedly right wing. Stop taliking crap, this is a subject that has legs. If there is nothing wrong, then the truth in a decidedly non partison review will exonerate.

If otherwise, then otherwise.
That will be the same as the now bankrupt ambulance chasing UK lawyer who was found guilty of paying Iraqi's for false statements about British Army soldiers abuse. Scum was paid millions in legal aid then was suddenly bankrupt the day he was found guilty of fraudulent claims against soldiers. And you wonder why I think it is you and the rest of your left wing outraged snowflakes who are talking crap. I suppose you think that the terrorists only kill and maim the filthy evil western soldiers in uniform and not innocent children and farmers trying to live a nearly normal life.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 21, 2020, 4:59 pm

^ I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying the filthy evil western soldiers are there to help the farmers try to live a near normal life?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 21, 2020, 8:01 pm

tamada wrote:
November 21, 2020, 4:59 pm
^ I'm a bit confused now. ......
Let me help.

Alex is telling us that an event in the UK, involving UK troops in Iraq, bears a direct relationship with the actions of Australian SAS forces in Afghanistan.

(Note - different armed forces, in different countries.)

The common link is that all involved are left wing snowflakes .... whatever that means. :confused:

Based on his logic, and demonstrated intellectual prowess, Alex could probably pick up a short term contract with the Trump re-election committee, helping to prove fraud and electoral malfeasance in the recent US election.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 22, 2020, 10:24 am

I would consider any of those charges against special forces as BS. If nothing else, give those soldiers the benefit of the doubt. It is entirely possible that one of those soldiers could snap because of the pressures of fighting terrorists and seeing a brother blown apart by a chicken Sh*t IUD. To charge one of those brave men with murder is vindictive insanity.

Return to “World News”