Myanmar coup

World news discussion forum
Bonanza
udonmap.com

Re: Myanmar coup

Post by Bonanza » June 17, 2021, 7:22 am

Jack, here's your answer.
Borrowed from Arabic بِنْت‎ (bint, “girl, daughter”), from Proto-Semitic *bint-, used to denote a patronym. The term entered the British lexicon during the occupation of Egypt at the end of the 19th century, where it was adopted by British soldiers to mean "girlfriend" or "bit on the side".

Still in use among elder Brits, but banned by the PC/Woke Brigade.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 17, 2021, 8:37 am

Bonanza wrote:
June 17, 2021, 7:22 am
Borrowed from Arabic بِنْت‎ (bint, “girl, daughter”), from Proto-Semitic *bint-, used to denote a patronym. The term entered the British lexicon during the occupation of Egypt at the end of the 19th century, where it was adopted by British soldiers to mean "girlfriend" or "bit on the side".

Thats exactly why i use it .
Ive lived long enough to earn the right to use it , and the PC brigade , including some snowflake members , can do one .

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 17, 2021, 9:59 am

I think it's time I adopt this word.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 17, 2021, 12:59 pm

saint wrote:
June 17, 2021, 8:37 am
Bonanza wrote:

Ive lived long enough to earn the right to use it , and the PC brigade , including some snowflake members , can do one .
Do what? A bint?

You mean today?

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 17, 2021, 1:40 pm

Another damning bint of colonial oppression. Might I humbly suggest the queen's portrait be removed from the currency and replaced with any number of queer rock musicians -- a better representation.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 17, 2021, 8:24 pm

saint wrote:
Bonanza wrote:

As an elder Brit, did you mean it as referring to a "girlfriend", or "bit on the side" ;)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 18, 2021, 8:56 am

jackspratt wrote:
June 17, 2021, 8:24 pm
saint wrote:
Bonanza wrote:

As an elder Brit, did you mean it as referring to a "girlfriend", or "bit on the side" ;)
Neither . To me and many of my generation its just another term to describe a member of the non male human species .
Its like calling said persons , Bird , Chick , Bit of skirt ,Fluff , and several more terms .
I think some of you colonials in the southern hemisphere refer to said persons as Sheilas .
I trust thats cleared things up for you Jack , cant have you losing any more sleep .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 21, 2021, 10:22 am

Back on topic, I hope you all don’t mind. Actually, no I don’t

Govt defends decision not to back UN Myanmar motion
Bangkok Post
21/06/2021

Thailand abstained on a vote to adopt the United Nations General Assembly resolution on the situation in Myanmar as the resolution did not take into account several essential factors, says Foreign Ministry spokesman Tanee Sangrat.
In remarks to the media, Mr Tanee said the kingdom had bowed out of Friday's vote in New York as the resolution failed to take into account the appropriate historical context of the conflict and could adversely affect the chances of arriving at a peaceful settlement, as well as magnify the security challenges Thailand faces if the conflict is prolonged.
"As a country that shares a 2,400-kilometre border and multi-dimensional relationship with Myanmar, Thailand does not have the luxury of distance or existential separation that many other nations have," he said.
"What happens in Myanmar today has direct security ramifications for Thailand tomorrow."
He said the resolution did not reflect the complexities of the historical and on-the-ground situation in Myanmar before and after Feb 1. Currently, there are several parties to the conflict, and the task at hand is not to lay blame, but restore trust.
According to the spokesman, "it is imperative the international community helps create an atmosphere of trust, not deepen animosity that will only lead to more insecurity, and hence violence".
He said that Asean, of which Myanmar is a member, is in the best position to take steps to bring about swift and lasting peace, yet the resolution did not fully reflect the consensus reached at the Asean Special Summit on Myanmar in Jakarta on April 24.

He said Thailand believes that while we cannot change the past, the international community has an important role to play in creating a "safe space" to encourage all parties to the conflict to come the dialogue table.
He said Thailand's prime concern is the livelihoods of the Myanmar people whose deprivation, both materially and spiritually, will only become more debilitating the longer the conflict goes on.
Thailand did not believe this resolution represented a path towards the sustainable peace settlement that the Myanmar people deserve.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 21, 2021, 10:38 am

Niggly wrote:
June 21, 2021, 10:22 am
Back on topic, I hope you all don’t mind. Actually, no I don’t

Govt defends decision not to back UN Myanmar motion
Bangkok Post
21/06/2021

Thailand did not believe this resolution represented a path towards the sustainable peace settlement that the Myanmar people deserve.
Thailand's position does not offer much in the way of tangible prospects for a positive future for the people of Myanmar

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 21, 2021, 11:50 am

Very much a case of "you scratch my coup d'état back, and I'll scratch yours" I would have thought.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 21, 2021, 4:54 pm

Sadly, it seems to be a shared policy in much of Southeast Asia. Furthermore it leads to large profits for many people in the region.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 6, 2021, 3:55 pm

The Russians have picked their side.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2 ... ShareModal

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 6, 2021, 9:39 pm

A bit of a surprise in that Russia usually supports the Tatmadaw directly, but following the ASEAN lead is much the same thing. However it will win brownie points for Russia with ASEAN.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2021, 3:17 pm

A few months ago, I caught an Al Jazeera documentary about a popular patriarch that, among other things, questioned if his teachings are nothing more than Islamophobia. The documentary itself was maybe 4 years old and probably inspired by the Rohingya genocide. Here's a link to a new article about the guy. He apparently has the Generals' ear and his recent demand that they stop the murderous suppression may have been the reason why more restraint has been exercised. Keeping the monks onside still seems to be an important business for those that run the Tatmadaw.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/06/27/a- ... ars-junta/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 20, 2021, 2:04 am

It is a persuasive argument in the sense that the generals are mindful that they need to gather merit greater than demerit in this life to ensure they have a good future life. This is why the Generals like building new temples and shrines to nats, and be seen making large donations to monks and temples. Of course, sometimes non-friendly monks (to the Tatmadaw) turn their food bowls upside down as a means to refuse to accept donations from the generals. This is huge. Furthermore, on the demerit side of things, the people know that the army will shoot and kill monks into addition to other protestors.

https://www.npr.org/2012/06/29/15592946 ... ual-strike

And, there was the Saffron Revolution, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron_Revolution

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 9, 2023, 3:47 am

"...the region’s worst regime since the Khmer Rouge terrorised Cambodia."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... junta-boss
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

mackayae
udonmap.com

Post by mackayae » January 9, 2023, 9:40 am

What country in SE Asia is not a dictatorship? Maybe Singapore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 9, 2023, 10:08 am

- Indonesia
- Malaysia
-Thailand
- Singapore (although virtually a 1 party state)

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » January 9, 2023, 1:03 pm

Philippines? Although seem to be on a sticky wicket with the new President.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 9, 2023, 1:22 pm

Authoritarian
Oligarcy
Dictatorships
Highly corrupt nations

Whatever you label it, there are few if any liberal democracies in this region. Frankly, same, same in most of Asia, Africa and South America.

Liberal democracies (functioning elected officials, police, courts and armed forces). They seem to really only exist in Western Europe, Canada, USA (on the endangered list), and a few others scattered around the Pacific rim.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “World News”