Ukraine

World news discussion forum
AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Ukraine

Post by AlexO » January 25, 2022, 4:31 am

Not all units called Squadrons were the Brylcream boys (RAF) Ernie. Lots of Army sub units have the title Squadron. Tank units, my own The Royal Engineers etc. Stand bye what I said, no one in the BAOR and its reinforcement units from the UK expected to survive 24-48 hours against a full on Soviet attack. We were just a delaying force to allow the American airbridge to reinforce or for the political decisions to be made to go nuclear. Thank the gods the Ruskies ran out of money.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 26, 2022, 4:24 am

I'll be issuing NAPS tablets tomorrow and I want you to collect your Combo Pens from Supply Sqn. I'll send an airman over to help you with your overboots in the morning.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 26, 2022, 6:08 am

Normally could not wait until 10am when the crabs decided that they had had enough breakfast and coffee before stating work. :-" :roll:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 26, 2022, 7:08 am

Oh Alex, do not be so prickly , Military banter at its best . I was wrong about the Time scale that related to Berlin Posting , my apologies.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 26, 2022, 11:52 am

I heard on the Beeb that the German government didn't allow British military aircraft carrying materiel to Ukraine to use German airspace. They already forbade Estonia sending German-made ordinance to Ukraine which was probably within their rights but I wonder if the overflight ban was something the 'green' German Foreign Minister demanded?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 26, 2022, 12:57 pm

tamada wrote:
January 26, 2022, 11:52 am
I heard on the Beeb that the German government didn't allow British military aircraft carrying materiel to Ukraine to use German airspace. They already forbade Estonia sending German-made ordinance to Ukraine which was probably within their rights but I wonder if the overflight ban was something the 'green' German Foreign Minister demanded?
i think it's more to do with the Germans not really wanting to get involved,yes i read about any weapons the germans sell it's in the contract that they can't be passed on to a 3rd party without Germanys approval . obviously Estonia has too many weapons or they have no fear of being invaded themselves.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 26, 2022, 1:00 pm

Maybe they are just reimposing old regulations that were in effect during WWII.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 26, 2022, 1:09 pm

mak wrote:
January 26, 2022, 1:00 pm
Maybe they are just reimposing old regulations that were in effect during WWII.
:lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 26, 2022, 5:30 pm

papafarang wrote:
January 26, 2022, 12:57 pm
tamada wrote:
January 26, 2022, 11:52 am
i think it's more to do with the Germans not really wanting to get involved,yes i read about any weapons the germans sell it's in the contract that they can't be passed on to a 3rd party without Germanys approval . obviously Estonia has too many weapons or they have no fear of being invaded themselves.
It's the German's sucking up to Nord Stream 2 that's already got them involved. The delay in turning it on is apparently because the Germans belatedly want the ownership and management of the Swiss-based operator changed from the current Gazprom (guess where they're from).

Since the Russians paid for it, I can't see them handing operations over and even if they do, all they need to do is stop feeding it. Deutschland ist Double-buggered.

The UK imports hardly any Russian gas but it looks like they are keen on riding in to save EUropean butts while they themselves wring their hands over who's responsible for letting Vlad stick his pipe right up their NATO arses.

The following link to a good "all you need to know about Nord Stream 2" article. The timing of this crisis increasingly looks like it's taking advantage of the change of government in Germany, particularly the hiatus between the German elections and a sitting government being declared which I understand is a unique facet of their electoral process. Very interesting to see that former German Chancellor Schrõder is the Chairman of the board for the pipeline operator.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factshe ... its-europe
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 26, 2022, 9:50 pm

you got to think Russian. they DGAF. of course we have to ignore that america will sell us gas for 30% more. And they say russia had us by the balls, now america has us by the balls. brilliant plan

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 27, 2022, 3:18 am

AlexO wrote:
January 26, 2022, 6:08 am
Normally could not wait until 10am when the crabs decided that they had had enough breakfast and coffee before stating work. :-" :roll:
Crikey, Royal Air Force personnel won't leave the hotel until 1030 hours Zulu. Remember, it's check in - don't dig in. [-(
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 27, 2022, 9:14 am

The West are hypocrites. Yes, we will support you, but not too much. Furthermore, the leader of the Ukraine is corrupt and has ties to Russia. Remember how Obama stood up to Putin. Stay away from the Crimea or else. What Happened? What did Obama do? It is the same as when China destroyed democracy in Hong Kong. The West did nothing. What are they going to do for the Ukraine? I suspect nothing.

One of the reasons the Ukraine was not allowed to join NATO is for fear the Ukraine would pass on information to the Russians. It is the same reason the U.S.A., the U.K. and Australia do not want to share strategic information with Canada. They worry that Trudeau will inform China.

Taiwan, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania can see the writing on the wall.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 27, 2022, 9:33 am

It's estimated the Russians need at least twice the number of troops currently squatting on the Ukraine and Belarus borders to invade and hold the entire country. Putin could get more adventurous and try and seize Kharkiv as well as the Donbas. That would be very symbolic but maybe it will be the next domino to fall in maybe another 5 years or so? Kiev would be a bridge too far at the moment IMHO.

Listening to a talking head on the radio, when asked to compare current sanctions on Russia with what's being proposed, they said currently they're a 2 or 3 versus an 8 or 9. However, the billions at Putin's disposal means these won't affect him or any other Russians immediately. Inconvenience maybe, mortally wound hardly.

Biden has said no American boots on the ground in Ukraine. This makes the announcement a few days back of placing 8000 active US troops "on standby" stateside even less relevant. Unless of course they are for essential logistics support, cooking, cleaning, putting out the garbage, etc..

Another talking head suggested if Biden 'loses' this face-off, then US foreign policy credibility will be tested by others. It will embolden Xi on Taiwan and a host of other oppressive, dictatorial regimes around the world, a few of them being Thailand's neighbors.

The Russians will "invade" and annex the Donbas. Sanctions will be applied. The Germans will hope their 'non involvement' in current proceedings will assure Nord Stream 2 supplies. It won't and a new "new normal" dictated by Putin shall prevail.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 27, 2022, 10:13 am

In other words, Biden is going to follow the follow the Obama path along the Chamberlain Road

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 27, 2022, 10:23 am

no one will invade, they took Crimea because 1. strategic 2. the population was russian. i think they'll just bomb the crap out of eastern Ukraine, create a civil war and there's nothing we can do about it. if we supply weapons that end up killing Russian civilians or troops then it will get nasty. russian artillery can reach targets up to 50km away so russia don't need to invade, just pummel ukraine into the ground.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 27, 2022, 10:40 am

The situation is bleak.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » January 27, 2022, 12:50 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
January 27, 2022, 10:13 am
In other words, Biden is going to follow the follow the Obama path along the Chamberlain Road
Don't forget Trump kissing Putin's arse in Helsinki. That was truly extraordinary. :cry:

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 27, 2022, 2:46 pm

Pillows for Ukraine.
Germany is offering 5,000 helmets to Ukraine amid fears of a Russian invasion.
Kyiv's mayor called the offer a "joke," asking if "pillows" were next.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 27, 2022, 5:05 pm

Excluding Russia from SWIFT would cause its economy to shrink by 5%.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » January 27, 2022, 5:56 pm

mak wrote:
January 27, 2022, 2:46 pm
Pillows for Ukraine.
Germany is offering 5,000 helmets to Ukraine amid fears of a Russian invasion.
Kyiv's mayor called the offer a "joke," asking if "pillows" were next.
Sure they did not offer so send 5,000 Helmut's to help? It is a pretty common German name after all :-"

Return to “World News”