Russia

World news discussion forum
mak
udonmap.com

Re: Russia

Post by mak » February 23, 2023, 1:23 pm

A Russian is on an airliner flying to the US. An American next to him asks “What brings you to the US?”
The Russian replies “I’m studying the American approach to propaganda.”
The American asks “What propaganda?”
The Russian says, “That’s what I mean.”

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 23, 2023, 2:11 pm

mak wrote:
February 23, 2023, 1:23 pm
A Russian is on an airliner flying to the US. An American next to him asks “What brings you to the US?”
The answer could have been a little more reflectful.

The Russian when asked could say 'Well you managed to invade Iraq on false information without being condemned by the UN, but when we invaded Ukraine based on false information, two-thirds of the world turned against us, how come your propaganda seems to fly under the radar. Also when we arm an insurgent group, they are called communist-funded terrorists, but if you arm an insurgent group they get called freedom fighters'?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 23, 2023, 2:31 pm

Whistler wrote:
February 23, 2023, 2:11 pm
mak wrote:
The Russian when asked could say 'Well you managed to invade Iraq on false information without being condemned by the UN, but when we invaded Ukraine based on false information, two-thirds of the world turned against us, how come your propaganda seems to fly under the radar. Also when we arm an insurgent group, they are called communist-funded terrorists, but if you arm an insurgent group they get called freedom fighters'?
Any idea what the false information was on which Russia allegedly based its attack on Ukraine?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 23, 2023, 3:02 pm

Udon Map wrote:
February 23, 2023, 2:31 pm
Whistler wrote:
mak wrote:
Any idea what the false information was on which Russia allegedly based its attack on Ukraine?
Putin has stated it was to de-nazify Ukraine and replace the government with....I would suggest a puppet, Putin said otherwise
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 23, 2023, 3:48 pm

Whistler wrote:
February 23, 2023, 3:02 pm
Udon Map wrote:
February 23, 2023, 2:31 pm
Whistler wrote:
mak wrote:
Putin has stated it was to de-nazify Ukraine and replace the government with....I would suggest a puppet, Putin said otherwise
Oh, right. I forgot about the de-Nazification. One might argue, as some have, that it was really about expansionism, colonialism, Putin's ego, and trying to reassemble the Russian empire. But, yes, de-Nazification was as good a pretext as any.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 23, 2023, 8:16 pm

Putin have several reasons why he invaded Ukraine. Just to name a few; de-Nazification, Ukraine is not a real county, librate ethnic Russians from genocide, NATO, bring back the Soviet Union.

The reality it that it nothing more than a land grab.

No matter the outcome, all he did was force two (2) bordering countries to apply to join NATO that never had any interest of doing so.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » February 23, 2023, 11:07 pm

I enjoyed listening to Fiona Hill's insight here:

https://youtu.be/vNhSCF9i8Qs

I also find Lex Fridman's intellect and general demeanor make for important and interesting questions being asked of his guests.

NOTE: Lex Fridman and Joe Rogan long form podcasts are often 2-4 hours in length. If you are looking for a 3 min interview soundbite style format, look elsewhere. I find the long form conversations a nice alternative to music while walking/exercising or long solo drives and swap between these and audio books now.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 23, 2023, 11:21 pm

Most wars start because someone wants someone elses land. The history of the last 100 years or so shows that mainly it does not end well for those who start it. And people whose land has been taken by force usually want it back, even generations later.
Iraq, afghanistan, not exactly victories for USA/Europe. Russia has had a few bloody noses as well, seems they have short memories, most of Eastern Europe made their opinion of Russia very clear 30 years ago as soon as they got the opportunity.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 24, 2023, 12:00 am

Spot on Rick

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 25, 2023, 5:29 am

Russian T-72 tank parked outside the Russian Embassy in Berlin.
Attachments
T-72 Berlin.jpg

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 27, 2023, 12:25 pm

Meanwhile, after the "concert":
Attachments
Russian flags in dumpster.jpg

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 17, 2023, 8:04 am

Dissension in the ranks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX6h9ZgHRco&t=179s
I liked the reference to "Grandpa Lenin". The plan was to have everyone live well. Instead, everyone lived the same , but poorly.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 29, 2023, 4:35 am

China has it's eyes on North Manchuria and Vladivostok, which used to be Chinese territory 160 years ago.
Attachments
Manchuria.jpeg
Last edited by mak on March 29, 2023, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 29, 2023, 5:37 am

The real reason for the tank

"German peace activists park rusty tank outside Russian embassy"
Berlin, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Activists protesting against Russia's invasion of Ukraine parked a destroyed, rusty tank directly in front of the Russian embassy in Berlin on Friday, bringing a piece of the battlefield to the centre of the German capital.

"The broken tank signifies downfall. Ukraine is going to be Putin's Stalingrad," said Wieland Giebel, curator of the Berlin Story Bunker museum, referring to Germany's defeat in a major battle in World War Two.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ge ... 023-02-24/

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 31, 2023, 3:44 pm

It's Russia's turn.
UN Security Council Presidency.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 15-39-26 Security Council Presidency United Nations Security Council.png

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 31, 2023, 3:56 pm

since any of the permanent members can veto any security council resolution what does it matter? More than likely the Russian diplomat acting as chair will just mouth the usual Kremlin b/s about the war and looke like a complete fool.
Dave

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 22, 2023, 11:03 am

Attachments
Belgorod.jpg

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 24, 2023, 11:20 am

sanctions on the Russian economy are far more important than people realize. Its not only about depriving Russia of money,but also about depriving Russia of the high quality/high tech goods it cant make for itself. You can have all the petro-dollars in the world, but if you have no good ball bearings, you cant make a good new tank.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 24, 2023, 11:43 am

I understand what you are saying noo, I wish it could work that way, but for the life of me, I cannot remember a single example of where economic warfare, sanctions and tarrifs, has worked. Target nations always seem to cope.

Recent history

North Korea
Iraq
Iran
Libya
Syria
Russia
China

In all cases the regimes were not brought to heal through economic strategies. There is a gigantic black market economy supported by many co-operative nations that simply bypass the sections

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 24, 2023, 12:44 pm

If you cant make the hitech stuff for your hitech weapons you need to buy them
So if there are sanctions resticting what can be bought makes it hard to produce these weapons at all

Return to “World News”