China Watching

World news discussion forum
Earnest
udonmap.com

China Watching

Post by Earnest » February 4, 2023, 9:43 pm

A Chinese spy balloon meanders over North America and I'm wondering what advantage a balloon would have over a satellite (space vehicle). What do the Chinese gain in terms of intel?

...or does the balloon serve a political purpose?

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Shado
udonmap.com

Re: China Watching

Post by Shado » February 4, 2023, 10:59 pm

The news reports in the States say that the balloon is capable of "loitering" or hovering over a target and may be able to provide more detailed information than what a moving satellite can gather. I don't know if that is a fact or speculation.
It's just what is being reported.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 5, 2023, 12:28 am

pissing themselves over a friggin balloon. if they were better than a satellite then the sky would be full of a few hundred dollar ballons .rather than billion dollar spacecraft. the control they have is being able to raise of lower itself, its not a zepplin for god sake. americans bedwetting because china is spying on american weather. slow news day i guess. if it is in actual air space i guess they could just shoot it down. mind you sending an f35 after a balloon would be silly.. on the other hand if i was china i would send hundreds of then just for the fun factor.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 5, 2023, 3:02 am

Sleepy Joe has taken care of the problem.

As the late Bob Monkhouse said half a dozen times every Saturday afternoon, "Bernie! The bolt!"
Last edited by tamada on February 5, 2023, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 5, 2023, 3:14 am

Earnest wrote:
February 4, 2023, 9:43 pm
A Chinese spy balloon meanders over North America and I'm wondering what advantage a balloon would have over a satellite (space vehicle). What do the Chinese gain in terms of intel?

...or does the balloon serve a political purpose?
Read this yesterday. The cited expert bangs on about AI which makes the more mundane technology of what is simply an autonomous airship sound more exciting than it is. This ChatGPT stuff certainly has the media in its thrall.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/24988 ... ays-expert
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 5, 2023, 4:09 am

Air traffic diverted around balloon shootdown.
Attachments
Balloon Gap.jpg

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 5, 2023, 9:48 am

Surely the Seppos can just pop it cant they its in their airspace ... do they have the fire power n tech to hit a speeding hot air balloon ?? or have they sent it all to UKR

Trump would have had this down and folded up in 2 shakes of a lambs tail ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 11:11 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 5, 2023, 9:48 am
Surely the Seppos can just pop it cant they its in their airspace ... do they have the fire power n tech to hit a speeding hot air balloon ?? or have they sent it all to UKR

DM

Why do people still praise Trump, aren't they tired of looking stupid????

"The US military just confirmed in an official statement that there were at least THREE Chinese spy balloons that flew over the US when Trump was president. Trump kept it a secret and did not shoot them down."

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 11:12 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM

"The US military just confirmed in an official statement that there were at least THREE Chinese spy balloons that flew over the US when Trump was president. Trump kept it a secret and did not shoot them down."

Unless Drunk Monkey "2 shakes of a lambs tail" meant just immediately blowing it off (not blowing it up) and keeping Americans in the dark about it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 5, 2023, 11:47 am

Mosquito wrote:
February 5, 2023, 11:11 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM

True, but to be fair, Xi did assure Donald personally they had simply drifted loose from Chinese New Year celebrations and there was nothing to worry about.

Not to worry, our DM's always shaking something. Either that or pushing buttons.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 5, 2023, 11:50 am

Mosquito wrote:
February 5, 2023, 11:12 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM

Unless Drunk Monkey "2 shakes of a lambs tail" meant just immediately blowing it off (not blowing it up) and keeping Americans in the dark about it.
:lol: :lol:

Btw Trump could well be your next POTUS.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 5, 2023, 12:00 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 5, 2023, 11:50 am
Mosquito wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM

~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 5, 2023, 12:04 pm

Only time will tell .. soon be election time 2024 but dunno what month it all kicks off again.

** Great track and great band ..love the Doobie Brothers , one of the best albums of all time .. Long Train Runnin.

DM

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 1:08 pm

tamada wrote:
February 5, 2023, 12:00 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Mosquito wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM

In your and DM's dreams, ice cube chance in hell he'll get elected again.

Would of used snow flake (single/lonely snow flake) chance in hell, but MTG and Lauren Boebert got re-elected to Congress. Along with George Santos being elected, with both gullible and stupid Republicans and Democrats voting for him.

Learned not to under estimate the stupidity of American voters.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 5, 2023, 1:17 pm

Mosquito wrote:
February 5, 2023, 1:08 pm
tamada wrote:
February 5, 2023, 12:00 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Mosquito wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM

In your and DM's dreams, ice cube chance in hell he'll get elected again.

Would of used snow flake (single/lonely snow flake) chance in hell, but MTG and Lauren Boebert got re-elected to Congress. Along with George Santos being elected, with both gullible and stupid Republicans and Democrats voting for him.

Learned not to under estimate the stupidity of American voters.
Hey Mozzy .. as an outsider looking in nothing would surprise me with regard to who gets elected and that goes for the crazt political systems in many other places including the UK where now i cant even get my karaoke mic out n murder Tom Jones Deliah ...why why why !!!!

As a footnote and im not stirring the pot but when Trump got elected first time just about everyone including the media gave him no chance and he won , which in itself was crazy, i recall celebs n high profile news anchors openly laughing at the notion he could win ...so NEVER SAY NEVER.

Surely in a nation as big as the USA there must be some one better than whats been at the helm in the recent past and future Clinton , Bush, Obama Trump Biden n Harris etc .. last decent POTUS gotta be Reagan ..RIGHT ??

DM

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 5, 2023, 1:56 pm

I see they shot it down off the Carolinas and have sent ships to recover the bits and pieces.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 2:18 pm

Depending on who you ask, all US Presidents sucked in one way or another.

I personally, liked Reagan....as I just joined the military and his build up of America's military benefited everyone who was serving. Also, liked his clear and strong handling of National Security Threats and the US Economy.

PERSONALLY, my dream (not really, as my fantasy would be Bernie President and Pete VP.....better set-up for Pete to run for President in 2028) 2024 Presidential Ticket would be.......drum roll.
Amy Klobuchar - President
Pete Buttigieg - VP
* Both young (ok, maybe not Amy.....but young for a US President), vision and brains. Pete's military service also a big plus. Both, also not afraid to call BS and diplomatically say FU to opponents....leaving them speechless.

Would of put Biden and Pete together, but Biden losing a few steps. Kamala a NO Ways, same with Gavin Newsom.
On the Republicans side, they are all self-serving political hacks....they put self, party above country.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 5, 2023, 9:16 pm

Back on topic.

China says it reserves the right to take further action.

https://apnews.com/article/politics-uni ... 59934c4cfb

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 9:32 pm

Looking forward to seeing a close up picture of the fighter that shotdown the balloon......seeing if has a balloon with a red star painted on it (kill marking).

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 5, 2023, 9:46 pm

Shado wrote:
February 4, 2023, 10:59 pm
The news reports in the States say that the balloon is capable of "loitering" or hovering over a target and may be able to provide more detailed information than what a moving satellite can gather. I don't know if that is a fact or speculation.
It's just what is being reported.
I guess we won't know until the equipment is recovered by the Americans.

Return to “World News”