Just another day in Texas

World news discussion forum
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Just another day in Texas

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 7, 2023, 12:41 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 7, 2023, 12:32 pm
"A Republican congressman representing Allen, Texas — where a mass shooting with at least nine victims occurred on Saturday — said people who don't believe in the power of prayer following a violent incident aren't believers of an "almighty god" after he was asked what his response would be to people who feel prayers are not the solution to mass shootings."
USA is doomed with this kind of thinking
NO change that. ALL countries are doomed with this kind of thinking and it doesnt have to be a Christian God either
Agree with that ... no amount of prayers will either stop a gun totting nutjob of any faith or bring back victims ..

I try not to follow these terrible mass shootings but it seems sadly they are becoming more n more regular especially in the USA

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 7, 2023, 1:46 pm

With the current Political climate and the amazing ability to deny any responsibility Aeicans Politicans tpogether with the people can stew in the mess they are making all by themselves.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 7, 2023, 2:32 pm

DM
The shootings are not rising as compared to the increase in Population

"Despite the increase in such fatalities, the rate of gun deaths – a statistic that accounts for the nation’s growing population – remained below the levels of earlier decades."

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... n-the-u-s/

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 7, 2023, 2:45 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 7, 2023, 2:32 pm
DM

"Despite the increase in such fatalities, the rate of gun deaths – a statistic that accounts for the nation’s growing population – remained below the levels of earlier decades."

A full reading of this document reveals US gun deaths are shocking with an enormous increase in past 4 years. After reading the entire report, it is clear that in the developed world, the US is up to 10 times greater than other Western nations, and 5 times greater than the next worst (France). Compared to 1976 it is on par, compared to the last 10 to 15 years it is growing. What is worse, mass shooting have skyrocketed.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 7, 2023, 4:14 pm

From Vox:

The state of gun violence in the US, explained in 18 charts

America doesn't have a gun problem, it has several of them. These charts and maps break down the scope of the problem: http://bit.ly/2odFYVK

No other developed country in the world has anywhere near the same rate of gun violence as America.

The US has nearly six times the gun homicide rate as Canada, more than seven times as Sweden, and nearly 16 times as Germany.

The debate over gun regulation in the US seems intractable, but there is one fact that both sides can agree on: Mass shootings are just the tip of a very complicated problem.
Note: While this YouTube video was made by Vox back in 2016 the problems addressed then are just as, if not even more, relevant and disturbing now than when it was made some 7 years ago.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2023, 8:44 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 7, 2023, 2:32 pm
DM

That's reassuring. Meanwhile, this mass shooting apparently marks the 199th one for 2023 and we are only 127 days into this year.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 7, 2023, 8:52 pm

And my point is that I dont care.
If someone keeps slamming the door on their hand and wont do anything about it, it gets to the point that I couldnt care less. i.e. Driving without a helmet, no insurance, no license, etc
For the USA its "The Land of Opportunity", define Opportunity then

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 7, 2023, 9:05 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 7, 2023, 8:52 pm
And my point is that I dont care.
If someone keeps slamming the door on their hand and wont do anything about it, it gets to the point that I couldnt care less. i.e. Driving without a helmet, no insurance, no license, etc
For the USA its "The Land of Opportunity", define Opportunity then
Move to the USA and get the opportunity to be shot by somebody that doesn't even know you, already happened to Aussie girl last year.

There are just as many opportunities in other countries, the USA is not unique.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2023, 9:05 pm

Three posts suggests that someone does care.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 7, 2023, 9:56 pm

9 posts for your side. You must be all over this or got nothing else to do

tamada
udonmap.com