Canada: a beacon of freedom

World news discussion forum
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Canada: a beacon of freedom

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 25, 2023, 2:40 pm

The truckers and their supporters who had their bank accounts frozen would probably disagree as would others. However, to Edmund Wan, a former radio host in Hong Kong, the First Dominion lives up to its promise of freedom of speech, movement and way of life.

Wan came to Vancouver, British Columbia after spending two years in a Hong Kong prison for speaking openly about the political system in the former British colony. Amnesty International argues the imprisonment was for political reasons. This is what he has to say about the Canadian experience so far: He described the sense of familiarity that struck him in a Hong Kong-style cafe on Vancouver's Cambie Street: the smell of baked pork chops on rice, the background noise of people joking in Cantonese. But there was something else Wan says people in Hong Kong can no longer take for granted: the ability to talk freely and without fear in public.' Let's hope that Mr. Wan receives permanent resident status so he can continue his work in Vancouver.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Canada: a beacon of freedom

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 25, 2023, 2:46 pm

You can read about Mr. Wan Yiu-sing here,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6851447

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 25, 2023, 3:09 pm

It is so wonderful that the rest of the world can look towards Canada. Forget about repressive regimes, that have lesser freedoms, like NZ, Holland, Germany, Sweden, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Norway, Belgium, etc. Just take the word of one individual who moved to Vancouver from Hong Kong and his olfactory induced bliss.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 25, 2023, 3:43 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 25, 2023, 3:09 pm
It is so wonderful that the rest of the world can look towards Canada. Forget about repressive regimes, that have lesser freedoms, like NZ, Holland, Germany, Sweden, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Norway, Belgium, etc. Just take the word of one individual who moved to Vancouver from Hong Kong and his olfactory induced bliss.
All's well that ends well

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 3:49 pm

https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores

It seems that countries such as Canada (98), New Zealand (99), Australia (95), (Sweden(100), Japan (96), Norway(100), UK (98) , USA (93) etc all hold a great standard of Freedoms

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 25, 2023, 4:32 pm

Yes, you are correct Doodoo, as do Denmark, Finland, Iceland, the Netherlands et al have freedom; however, this story was about someone who came to Canada and likes the freedom he enjoys. Perhaps if the individual had
sought freedom in Denmark or Norway, and it was reported in the Canadian press, I could have mentioned that country. Sorry to say, this story is about a Hongkonger moving to Canada and enjoying the freedom he has found. I am glad he likes Canada as a really free country.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 25, 2023, 4:34 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 25, 2023, 3:09 pm
What is your gripe this time?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 26, 2023, 3:23 am

I am sure if l had walked a mile in Mr Wan Yiu-sing’s shoes, l would be indebted for the opportunity to experience a culture which is not oppressive in nature. I could not see in his comments where a comparison was drawn with other countries who also promote a democratic lifestyle.

Return to “World News”