Yellow ATM machines no charge fees...

All the latest happenings with the udonmap.com sponsors
malc123
udonmap.com

Re: Yellow ATM machines no charge fees...

Post by malc123 » July 1, 2010, 10:12 pm

Texpat

I agree with idea of one large trsf, but the pound is changing every day, would hate to make a large trsf then see it rise up. Could make a big diffrance to how much you get.

malc123

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » July 2, 2010, 12:17 am

iv said it before on here i go to big c draw out at atm bank of ayudhay where i have an account no charge.

Bilko
udonmap.com

Post by Bilko » July 2, 2010, 4:39 am

Texpat, dont you pay a fee for transfering money over as you put it.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 2, 2010, 6:57 am

malc123 wrote:Texpat

I agree with idea of one large trsf, but the pound is changing every day, would hate to make a large trsf then see it rise up. Could make a big diffrance to how much you get.

malc123
I think the more you can transfer at one time is your best bet!Only one transfer charge and The baht is not going to go up any appreciable amount as every indicator there is,points to a strengthening trend for the baht.It is completely unrealistic to think that the baht is ever going to rise to the levels of the past after the 97 debacle because the problems in the system that caused that rise,no longer exist and Thailands banking system and economy is relatively solid and growing in comparison to our systems!

The BOT has managed to keep the baht within the 33-34 range against the USD to keep exports growing,which they have been doing fantasticly,42% growth in May alone,which might cause them to let the baht strengthen a little more,but not to quickly as the gov't will want to support some populist programs before the elections.

With the economy growing so quickly,the BOT will probably raise interest rates here,which will also strengthen the baht!

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » July 2, 2010, 7:06 am

Went to the online banking site for Bank of the West in California and found and additional charge of $4.50 in addition to the other charges normally incurred. On further checking, on every ATM withdrawal I'm paying 150B (Thailand) $1.50 plus 1% to B of W, (foreign transfer fee) and because my ATM card has a MasterCard logo on it, 1% to MC (new) too. This must have something to do with the "new credit card reforms" in the U.S. Max withdrawal from a U.S bank is $500 (close to 15,000B) a day so do the math. OUCH! 8 Years ago when I had money transferred to my Thai bank account it was a flat fee of $40 per transfer so damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 3, 2010, 6:33 pm

Funman Don't know if this will help with the max withdrawal, but I can increase/decrease this by contacting my bank and letting them know what I want to set the withdrawal amout at. As for the 1% foreign transder fee, that has been standard for years with my bank.

chipthepoodle
udonmap.com

Post by chipthepoodle » February 19, 2014, 9:18 pm

Aeon now charge 150 baht

danchatka
udonmap.com

Post by danchatka » November 28, 2015, 1:11 pm

I just discovered that Bangkok Bank makes it easy, for someone on a Tourist visa, to open a bank account.

I learned about it from a company called chiangmaibuddy.com. The woman from chaingmaibuddy.com took me to a Bangkok Bank branch and was required to vouch for me, via a signed copy of her drivers license. So, maybe a tourist needs a Thai friend to open the account?

Bangkok Bank said their ATM card can only be used at their ATM machines (at least for now).

I'm very glad to avoid the 200 Baht ATM withdrawal fee :-)

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » November 28, 2015, 2:39 pm

danchatka wrote:was required to vouch for me, via a signed copy of her drivers license.
But -in principle - who is willing to vouch for a stranger?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 28, 2015, 5:24 pm

I'm sure she didn't do it for free and you'd have to wonder at her motivation...
Dave

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » November 28, 2015, 7:57 pm

You don't need anyone to go with you. Just go with your passport to Bangkok Bank. In my case they didn't even look at the visa. Just took my details from the biometrics page.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » November 28, 2015, 8:37 pm

Much better than to rely on mamasan. :D

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 30, 2015, 7:47 pm

You still have to get the money into your Bangkok bank account to be able to withdraw it - maybe that is what Bangkok bank hope to make their money on ...... also i presume they charged you for the ATM card?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » December 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

danchatka wrote:
Bangkok Bank said their ATM card can only be used at their ATM machines (at least for now).
After about 7 or 8 years my ATM card was in bad shape, so I got a new one. With the new one could only use it at BB ATM's so went in to complain. They said to get one that worked at other ATM's like my old card, I would need to turn it in and for some reason wait 7 days for a new card. WTF

Been planing to do it sometime, just have not. It is a dam pain, say you go out to Ngnee Soon, and their ATM is not working, your fu*ked. Just happened again last Sunday. :mad:

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » December 1, 2015, 3:39 pm

RLTrader wrote:
danchatka wrote:Bangkok Bank said their ATM card can only be used at their ATM machines (at least for now).
... With the new one could only use it at BB ATM's so went in to complain. They said to get one that worked at other ATM's like my old card, I would need to turn it in and for some reason wait 7 days for a new card. WTF
As said before there was a good intention behind it.
Bangkok Bank introduced their new Smart Card - obviously without informing the other banks - that would check the validity of the ATM card even before You are asked to enter Your pin.
This first check actually helps you against ATM-card fraud.

Well, since the other banks refused to accept, Bangkok Bank has to offer pure VISA Debit Card that can be used also abroad - just as any ATN-card with either VISA, MAESTRO or Mastercard logo on it. These are centrally produced in Bangkok, therefore this 7 days waiting time.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 24, 2017, 1:02 pm

Citibank US charges 3 percent when I use their ATM card. That was enough to put me off using a foreign ATM card. That was before the Thai banks started their charges. I keep their ATM card but it would take a dire emergency for me to use it.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 24, 2017, 1:18 pm

Citibank US - have their credit card and only use in US, for they charge a foreign fee outside country and it will be a cold day in hell before I would use outside country, when other do not charge a foreign fee.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

The Citibank card is for only ATM's and it is current. Citibank cancelled my credit card when I changed my address to Thailand.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 24, 2017, 7:52 pm

The USA Citibank must be a difficult mob to get along with.

I am a Citibank customer and have an ATM card and a Citibank Credit card along with 3 savings accounts in AUD, SGD and USD currencies in Singapore.
All under a Thai address.
I now also have a Dubai Citibank savings and ATM card now, under my Dubai address.
I also have a Thai Citibank ATM card along with a THB savings account under my Thai address. I started this account in Bangkok.
All linked online.
I use them because I get free international money transfers between all my accounts. But I have never tried to send money out of Thailand.
I was able to start the Thailand Citibank account a couple of years ago. I am a gold member which did help.
Done on a tourist visa.

Return to “Latest News From Our Sponsors”