Tukatan Chollada videos. What's going on?

This forum is for personal video clips or favourite clips from youtube etc. (Only videos relating to Udon Thani and Thailand please)
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Tukatan Chollada videos. What's going on?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 12, 2009, 1:03 am

I mean really, here is the mild-mannered Tukatan Chollada in some hopped-up, very catchy, dance numbers. No trace of romantic, sia jia (broken-hearted) ballads on display here. In the first video, is Tukatan really asking people to come and see her drunk, and then disappointing us by saying she is not drunk (mai maw (sic. [mao]). Strange behaviour on the part of our beloved Tukatan.

Let's see for ourselves. These re-mixed songs were released on 25 August 2009. Take it away Tukatan,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzQ9pki2xVE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzQ9pki2xVE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XiJ5ir_NJks&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XiJ5ir_NJks&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Lee Rhodes
udonmap.com

Re: What is going on?

Post by Lee Rhodes » October 12, 2009, 1:14 am

Sia jai means more to be sorry (regret). Broken-hearted is Mee khai jai or Ohk hak spoken in a low tone.

Hope this helps.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 12, 2009, 1:16 am

Not really. But thanks for trying.

Lee Rhodes
udonmap.com

Post by Lee Rhodes » October 12, 2009, 2:01 am

Maybe in Thai script... มีไข้ใจ = Mee-khai jai = Broken-Hearted.

Hope this helps.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 12, 2009, 5:03 am

Yes, yes, I know, thank you.

Sohk dee der

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 18, 2009, 7:55 am

เศร้าโศก sâo sòhk
[to] feel depressed ; grieve ; feel sorrowful
Word คำ
sad
Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective ]
เศร้า ; เสียใจ ; เศร้าโศก

It took me awhile to get around to this; however, 'sia jai' also can mean sad, downhearted et al. I was using 'sia jai' in this sense more than in your 'sorry' 'regret' sense.

Check it out on thai2english.com

Anyway, as noted above, 'baw pen yang dawk'.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » October 18, 2009, 3:33 pm

Tilokarat wrote:Yes, yes, I know, thank you.

Sohk dee der
Ah yes, now what is going on? You write 'Sohk dee der' while I hear 'Chawk dee der' from the outlaws. Is it a Lao language thing? Because Lao people speak of Laan Xiang which can be interpreted as one million(?) elephants. So Xiang or Sang is used instead of Chang for elephant.

Am I right in thinking the Isaan dialect can lose the 'ch' sound in favour of the 's', which leads me to wonder how close the Isaan dialect is to Lao....because they do understand each other don't they?

I must get out more.

Lee Rhodes
udonmap.com

Post by Lee Rhodes » October 19, 2009, 1:34 am

Fawn wrote:Ah yes, now what is going on? You write 'Sohk dee der' while I hear 'Chawk dee der' from the outlaws. Is it a Lao language thing? Because Lao people speak of Laan Xiang which can be interpreted as one million(?) elephants. So Xiang or Sang is used instead of Chang for elephant.

Am I right in thinking the Isaan dialect can lose the 'ch' sound in favour of the 's', which leads me to wonder how close the Isaan dialect is to Lao....because they do understand each other don't they?

I must get out more.
I'm surprised you hear chawk dee der. Chawk dee khap would be Thai, sok dee derr would be Lao.

Funny you should say Laan Xiang as Isaan people are of course of Laotian descent and until the 1960s, they were still called Lao. In fact, the Isaan region and Laos had originally been a part of the Lao Kingdom of Lan Xang. Following the fall of Ayutthhaya in 1767 the Siamese kingdom held sway in Laos and Isaan, and carried out forced population transfers from Laos to Isaan in the 18th and 19th centuries. (This is one reason why today Isaan is so heavily populated compared to Laos: 21 million in Isaan compared to 6.5 million in Laos).

I don't even use the term Isaan in my house I just use Lao. I ask her; "Jao ma ta sai?" (Where have you been?) or whatever.)

So once again yes Isaan is Lao.

Oh yes and Isaan (Lao) has no CH and it becomes an S so CHawk becomes sok etc.

Hope this helps.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Re: Tukatan Chollada videos. What's going on?

Post by Fawn » October 19, 2009, 2:11 am

No, I hear chawk dee der just like I hear Kannee la der. Maybe my outlaws aren't really from Isaan. :shock:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 19, 2009, 3:32 am

Fawn, do not worry too much about this because there are local and regional variations on speaking Lao/Isaan. My very good friend from Udonthani lived in Ban Chiang many moons ago when she was young, and has told me that there are differences in the way the people in Ban Chiang speak Isaan/Lao from those in Udonthani.

The French brought in the letters 'v' and 'x' to the Lao language. For instance, my very good friend from Nong Sa At has the surname Vandee (good day) written in English on her identity card. In Thai, of course, that is Wandee.

We know the ancient Lao kingdom as Lan Chang (one million elephants), and the ancient northern Thai kingdom as Lanna (one million rice fields). I am not sure how far into Isaan the Lan Chang kingdom stretched because I have yet to read the old chronicles in regard to Laos. I have read the Nan Chronicle, which contains much information about Lan Chang.

The French wrote Lan Chang as Lan Xang. The capital of the Lanna kingdom to the French was Xieng Mai, thus you can read the history of Xiang Mai translated by C. Notton in French or The Chiang Mai Chronicle translated to English by David K. Wyatt. Notton also translated the Lamphun Chronicle into French, and David Swearer translated the Cammadevi Chronicle into English. Hans Penth translated many stone inscriptions from ancient Mon and ancient northern Thai into English. I have read them all.

Of course, the Lao had another kingdom or two, such as one centred at Viang Chan (Vientiane), which did include much of the Khorat Plateau.

I have already discussed these ancient Lao kingdoms and their interactions with the Thais at Chiang Mai and Bangkok in another thread and do not want to repeat all of that stuff here.

Oh, one last point that I might have raised before and that is some Thai scholars now believe that the ancient Sukhothai kingdom was actually Lao and not Thai.

I believe it was Sarit who began referring to the people in northeast Thailand as Isaan and not Lao around 1957. The Thai census made the change from Lao to Isaan around this time too.

Sohk dee der...na khap. 55555

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » October 19, 2009, 3:43 am

Thank you, Tilo.

Thank you Lee Rhodes.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 19, 2009, 3:48 am

Good luck on Tuesday. I am sure you will do well on the exams although your professor might have some difficulty in understanding your way of thinking.

Afterwards treat the wife to a karaoke night of Tukatan songs...such as these.

Last night Khun Bkkstan, LA and myself got into a good discussion from your mention of the word sinbin, which a poster did not understand. I explained that it was an ice-hockey term used in place of the penalty box where a miscreant is placed for not playing by the rules. No need to go further as the responses were all deleted, but thanks for the lead-in to an interesting, though short, discussion.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » October 19, 2009, 4:07 am

Thank you, Uncle Tilo. I'm not familiar with Ice Hockey but I am aware of the Sin Bin process in Rugby Union, which provided me with a useful metaphor for describing the punishing of members on the Udonmap forum. In fact, Rugby probably stole the idea from Ice Hockey.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 19, 2009, 4:16 am

I did not know that about rugby so it is more likely that hockey borrowed the term from rugby than vice-versa. BKKSTAN was spot on guessing that you meant a certain member had been banished to the sin bin for a period of time as a result of indiscretions made.

What is the difference between rugger and rugby?

How many hours a day are you devoting to this lost cause of an exam?

What was that about Tukatan?

Return to “Udon Thani & Thailand Video Clips”