Falang Teacher Beaten Up by BTS Guard Over Balloons

This forum is for personal video clips or favourite clips from youtube etc. (Only videos relating to Udon Thani and Thailand please)
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 23, 2012, 3:16 pm

I do not think now I even need to see the original CCTV videos.
Interesting :shock: comment from Drummond - seems he has already made up his mind.

I would have thought the CCTV video (if it exists) is central to determining what actually happened. :-k

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 23, 2012, 3:45 pm

That does make it interesting, so the other guards didn't do their jobs and the guy who did gets fired.

Oh that's right have make a good image for the tourist.

You know protecting your kids from physical harm, right with you. But, in all honety I don't see that here.

My oldest daughter recently. read some of the Thai laws thought they were really strange. My answer that is what it is and if yuo want to be here you adhere to their laws, simple as that.

As far as I know any country you go to, life is different. Is it Singapore that you can't chew gum?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 23, 2012, 5:19 pm

bumper wrote:My oldest daughter recently. read some of the Thai laws thought they were really strange. My answer that is what it is and if yuo want to be here you adhere to their laws, simple as that.
Improvements are changes, is that not a good thing, laws and regulations change and are improved constantly, thats the job of Governments to improve the system, or do you just lie down and cop it up the ar-e. I dont.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 23, 2012, 6:20 pm

Frankly I seldom have any exposure to any problems. When I do deal with them, in a business like manner.

Me I follow the law, be it here or anywhere else.

Changes are not our business here. This is Thailand and that's Thai business. We are not in our home countries, there you have a say of sorts in legislation, here we don't. If I were as bothered as you seem to be. I would leave. You acccepted the Thai laws when you decided to live here. If you consider that taken up the Arse, then I guess you can count me in that camp. But, that will never happen to me. This entire thing is simply bull ----, no reason for this to ever happen in the first place. If you can't carry ballons then you can't carry them.

With all the time you said had here, doesn't really sound like you have adapted yet.

Good luck on getting the Thai laws the way you believe them to be.

You make a living in your host country, count your blessing's.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » March 23, 2012, 7:10 pm

bumper wrote:... Is it Singapore that you can't chew gum?
An extract from Wikipedia on the chewing gum ban in Singapore:
The chewing gum ban in Singapore was enacted in 1992 and revised in 2004 and 2010. It bans the import and sale of chewing gum in Singapore. Since 2004, only chewing gum of therapeutic value is allowed into Singapore following the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (USS-FTA).

This law was created because people disposed of gum incorrectly by sticking it under places like chairs or tables. Chewing gum is banned in Singapore under the "Regulation of Imports and Exports (Chewing Gum) Regulations." Except for chewing gum of therapeutic value, the "importing" of chewing gum into Singapore is banned.

.... according to the set of Regulations, "importing" means to "bring or cause to be brought into Singapore by land, water or air from any place which is outside Singapore ..." any goods, even if they are not for purposes of trade. The set of Regulations also does not make any provisions for personal use of quantities to be brought into Singapore. Therefore, bringing chewing gum into Singapore, even small quantities for whatever purpose, is prohibited.....

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gu ... _Singapore
While there are some Thai authorities that may sometimes be a little OTT when it comes to breaches of laws, rules and regulations they would appear to be mere amateurs when compared to the draconian enforcement of laws, rules and regulations that can be experienced in Singapore :fryingpan:

I do not know of any country where being a foreigner or being ignorant of the laws of the country constitutes any kind of legal defence - at best it is only useful as part of a plea of mitigation (after you have been found guilty!).
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 23, 2012, 7:20 pm

Just watched the evening report of the previous broadcast and a couple of points I forgot to mention . First the BTS spokesman was eager to point out the guards they employ do not carry batons but do have mobile communicators. It was this latter object the guard used when defending himself .Secondly on the balloon ban. Whilst helium is an inert gas, there is no way they can tell whether the balloon is filled with this or the more explosive hydrogen. Both being lighter than air.The kiddies twisted balloons in the shape of men etc were not the problem but the green ones floating in the air were naturally suspect .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » March 23, 2012, 8:03 pm

What would our Gaelic teacher do if he'd been stopped in Sweet Eire? Just try to bulldoze his way through the 1.50 cm/4'10" guard that was trying to prevent him from entering? I don't think sooo. Watch how they deal with troublemakers in the Land of Molly Mallone. Maybe the Thai garda could take a leave out of their book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbqtb1dSbR8

Also, another thing that entered my mind, would we have the same discussion, here and on other fora on the web, if the perpetrator had been Black/Indian/Arab? Just a curious tought ...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 23, 2012, 8:44 pm

Asiaphile wrote: Also, another thing that entered my mind, would we have the same discussion, here and on other fora on the web, if the perpetrator had been Black/Indian/Arab? Just a curious tought ...
Who is the "perpetrator" in your hypothetical question?

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » March 23, 2012, 9:41 pm

The person who, according to reports, decided not to let common sense prevail, but opted to barge his way through the entrance for the disabled after he'd been told by an official that it was not allowed to enter the BTS with balloons.

But lets not resort to an academic definition of that word so as not to lose sight of the essence of my query. My "perpetrator" is freely interchangable with any word you might choose to substitute it with (victem/injured party/falang/teacher/Irishman, etc.).

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 23, 2012, 9:56 pm

Given that you have chosen to introduce a colour/racial aspect to the debate, identification of the "perpetrator" is far from an academic issue.

After all, on the forums that I have read, the blame for this brouhaha seems pretty evenly divided between the guard (the assaulter) and the teacher (the assaulted).

In all the heat this debate has generated, very little light has yet been shone on the cause.

Where is the CCTV footage?

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » March 23, 2012, 10:46 pm

No CCTV footage is needed to answer my question. I've already said that you can interchange "perpetrator" with any word you like.
I've noticed that on this forum and others there's a great deal of sympathy for this man who let matters come to a head over some stupid balloons, and for many posters it has turned into a Thai vs Farang thing. Something that I can't comprehend. I'm 100% sure that if the guard had hit a Thai passenger who'd refused to obey instructions it wouldn't have made the news.
On the other hand, whenever something happens here in Thailand where Arabs/Blacks/Indians are concerned reactions towards them on farang oriented fora tend to be very hostile. I must hasten to add that this is NOT something posters on this forum can be accused of. However, the "other" Udon forum,and the Pattaya brigade, for example,are cases in point.
So my questions is completely hypothetical. It's got nothing to do with who's guilty or not but restricts itself to the nature of the reactions so far.

AroyFarang
udonmap.com

Post by AroyFarang » March 23, 2012, 10:54 pm

Asiaphile wrote:What would our Gaelic teacher do if he'd been stopped in Sweet Eire? Just try to bulldoze his way through the 1.50 cm/4'10" guard that was trying to prevent him from entering? I don't think sooo. Watch how they deal with troublemakers in the Land of Molly Mallone. Maybe the Thai garda could take a leave out of their book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbqtb1dSbR8

Also, another thing that entered my mind, would we have the same discussion, here and on other fora on the web, if the perpetrator had been Black/Indian/Arab? Just a curious tought ...
Asiaphile, Just to clear this up for you. That is not the Irish Police Force in the youtube video. In Ireland they were the same type of clothes but instead of police on the back they have Garda. It could be Northern Ireland, which is a different country of course. Of course the Garda have been caught doing similar things however and are not immune to this typer of thing.

Until the full story comes out and proper CCTV footage of the actual incident who knows what really happened.
I don’t have a problem with God. I have a problem with God’s customer support team.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » March 23, 2012, 11:34 pm

AroyFarang, I've watched the video again and you're right. I've been to Ireland and know that Irish police have "Garda" on their back but I just followed a google search link without paying particular attention to the uniform. However, don't make yourself any illusions. The link of this particular video might be wrong but plenty of Irish police brutality vids to be found on the Web.

AroyFarang
udonmap.com

Post by AroyFarang » March 23, 2012, 11:40 pm

Of course the Garda have been caught doing similar things however and are not immune to this typer of thing.

Im not under any illusions Asiaphile
I don’t have a problem with God. I have a problem with God’s customer support team.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 25, 2012, 9:27 am

Ok lets realize they are not Policeman, they are Security Guards. I don't see that makes much of a diference it would seem to me they could protect themselves, If some one comes at them physicaly when the try to enforce company rules. Was it reasonable force. I guess that one depends on what it took to stop the guy. As much as I can see in the video, force was stopped when the guy stopped trying to walk through them. That folks is for a court decide, if it goes that far.

If you use public transportation, you don't like the rulses you can walk away and find another way. How many people would be happy if we were on a public bus and I decided I would smoke? Would you want the employes of the bus company stop me ? If I didn't stop would yuo expect them to dop something about it.

I saw a interesting personal experience on TV The guy was having a birthday party for his kid, with ballons. Those ballons were filled with hydrogen and the bottle was sitting right next to BBQ. Was it an inert gas in those ballons I don't know I wasn't there. Lots of wild cards in Thailand.

One of my questions was answered in the Nation, ( sorry I can't just paste it that is against forum rules) It was in yesterdays news. Now the BTS is looking for the guards who allowed him on the original trains, seem they will be looking for jobs as well. So we have the guys who tried to enforce the rules and the ones who didn't are to be fired.

So in the end how many people are going to loose thier incomes because of ballons and someone who would not comply with the rules?

To me a very sad situation and hardly worth it when there were so many other options, other then physically pushing you way through.

Maybe the rule will be changed I don't know, but I do know a lot of people are now harmed. Over something that should never have happened and could have been easily avoided.

In my experience as a cop in America, had the guy done that to them, he would have probably got heck of lot more lumps and found himself in jail, for a felony. Security a lesser charge. But no body would be saying sorry to the guy.

So I won't smoke on the bus guys, hardly worht it.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » March 26, 2012, 1:54 pm

I would imagine that they will both learn a lesson that they both richly deserve. It seems that at the moment, the "victim" has yet to learn his.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 26, 2012, 3:49 pm

Saw in the news the farrang family is getting threatening phone calls.

I don't see anything that was worth all this mess here.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 26, 2012, 4:17 pm

bumper wrote:Saw in the news the farrang family is getting threatening phone calls.

I don't see anything that was worth all this mess here.
So is the school he works at if they take him back. All for a few balloons or was it Farang pride?
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 26, 2012, 6:14 pm

Pride, what a wonderful thing to have, pride in your work, pride in your beliefs, pride in after all this time in Thailand I still drive a car like I was taught, open the indicator when turning, put your seat belt on, dont drive at 120kph in built up areas, dont overtake on blind spots and pray to Budha, not like some westerners who stay here who believe or wish they are Thai, put their brains in there pockets and throw their common sense out the window.

Pride in what you do, pride, I love it because with it comes self esteem.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » March 27, 2012, 7:50 am

Not directed at anyone in particular,

Humility.

Be humble, do not act (with locals) with arrogance or pomposity or a superiority complex.

Return to “Udon Thani & Thailand Video Clips”