150 Baht ATM Fee FOR WHAT?

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
madwolf
udonmap.com

Re: 150 Baht ATM Fee FOR WHAT?

Post by madwolf » September 17, 2010, 10:57 am

can anyone tell me where the two other AEON-ATMS are located apart from that one at Tesco-Lotus ?

the AEON website says :
1) AEON SPOT UDON THANI - 1st floor Aeon Spot Udon Thani
2) AS UDON nitityo 2 - 1st floor Aeon Spot udon Thani

but where the heck are those places......

thank you

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » September 17, 2010, 11:09 am

Theres one in Big C near the escalator by the foodhall

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 17, 2010, 11:22 am

madwolf wrote:can anyone tell me where the two other AEON-ATMS are located apart from that one at Tesco-Lotus ?

the AEON website says :

thank you
I don't know about those places; however, I am certain that there is an AEON ATM machine on the 2nd floor at Big C. If you're walking toward the booth to purchase your meal card at the Food Court, then look to your far right and you'll see a lone ATM machine up against the wall. Got 25,000 Baht last week off a US bank debit card. The exchange rate was much better than if I had walked into a Thai bank with US Dollars, and there was no 150 Baht fee for the use of the ATM. If you have a problem with the machine at that location, then go to the electronics section of Big C, walk to the cash register/payment counter and you will see representatives for AEON who are there to assist purchasers with consumer retail finance arrangements. I'm sure they could help you if your card gets taken, eaten or you have other problems with the machine.

I would like to ask the question: Does anyone have experience with the maximum amount of Baht that can be taken from an AEON ATM at one time? Most other machines are 20,000 Baht except for Bangkok Bank which is 25,000 max. My bank in the US will allow up to $1000 per day, or roughly 30,500 Baht. Has anyone out there taken at least that much from an AEON ATM at one time? Guess I could just give it a try, but would be nice if someone can just give me the answer here!

God Bless!

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » September 17, 2010, 2:16 pm

semperfiguy wrote:I would like to ask the question: Does anyone have experience with the maximum amount of Baht that can be taken from an AEON ATM at one time?
B20,000

Fahlep Yai
udonmap.com

Post by Fahlep Yai » September 17, 2010, 2:27 pm

aeon fees have gone up from $1.50 usd per transaction to $2.00 usd. they are starting to price themselves out of action. other routes are cheaper and there is one route that is totally free.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 17, 2010, 3:29 pm

madwolf wrote:can anyone tell me where the two other AEON-ATMS are located apart from that one at Tesco-Lotus ?

the AEON website says :

thank you
There five locations that I know of...

1. Big C: top of escalator heading to the food court.
2. Tesco (near Nong Khai rd.)
3. Tesco (near Carrefore)
4. Carrefore
5. Main Branch, new Tesco in UD plaza

madwolf
udonmap.com

Post by madwolf » September 17, 2010, 6:23 pm

thanks..... the one at UD PLAZA has a very convenient location indeed....

.... you guys r more up-to-date than the AEON-website itself which lists only 3 ATM's in Udon ;-)

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » September 17, 2010, 6:28 pm

Fahlep Yai wrote:aeon fees have gone up from $1.50 usd per transaction to $2.00 usd. they are starting to price themselves out of action. other routes are cheaper and there is one route that is totally free.
Since when have they started charging ATM fee? :-?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 17, 2010, 7:06 pm

Asiaphile wrote:
Fahlep Yai wrote:aeon fees have gone up from $1.50 usd per transaction to $2.00 usd. they are starting to price themselves out of action. other routes are cheaper and there is one route that is totally free.
Just made a withdrawal today at the AEON at Tesco in UD Town. As I mentioned earlier I have already taken as much as 25,000 Baht out at one time at one of their machines, and as of today there is still absolutely no fee for the transaction. I was using a Visa debit card on my account back in the USA and there's no fee on that side either, and the exchange rate is better than the posted exchange rate in banks for $50-100 bills. I have no idea about charges on either end or exchange rates for transactions in countries other than the USA.

God Bless!

Fahlep Yai
udonmap.com

Post by Fahlep Yai » September 17, 2010, 7:44 pm

Asiaphile wrote:
aeon has always had a fee since i have been using the machines, but it has been smaller than the 150 baht fee of the other machines in udon. the fee is deducted from your account two or three days after the transaction hits your bank. others who i know use the machines have also had a fee show up later. in august the fee was $1.50 usd per transaction. this month it went up to $2.00 usd per transaction. my bank doesn't charge an atm fee from any location worldwide, so it is aeon's transaction fee. the $2.00 fee is still cheaper than 150 baht, but it's not cheaper than doing a cash advance with your atm/debit card. i went back to the atm/debit card route to move larger amounts more inexpensively into my accounts in thailand.

Fahlep Yai
udonmap.com

Post by Fahlep Yai » September 17, 2010, 7:51 pm

semperfiguy wrote:as of today there is still absolutely no fee for the transaction. I was using a Visa debit card on my account back in the USA and there's no fee on that side either, and the exchange rate is better than the posted exchange rate in banks for $50-100 bills. I have no idea about charges on either end or exchange rates for transactions in countries other than the USA.
your bank in the us may be paying the aeon fees. what bank do you use in the us?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 17, 2010, 7:52 pm

Fahlep Yai wrote:
Asiaphile wrote:
aeon has always had a fee since i have been using the machines, but it has been smaller than the 150 baht fee of the other machines in udon. the fee is deducted from your account two or three days after the transaction hits your bank. others who i know use the machines have also had a fee show up later. in august the fee was $1.50 usd per transaction. this month it went up to $2.00 usd per transaction. my bank doesn't charge an atm fee from any location worldwide, so it is aeon's transaction fee. the $2.00 fee is still cheaper than 150 baht, but it's not cheaper than doing a cash advance with your atm/debit card. i went back to the atm/debit card route to move larger amounts more inexpensively into my accounts in thailand.
Interesting...can you tell me more about the atm/debit card route that you are referring to for moving larger amounts into your Thai account. I am not familiar with that type of transaction. Does one go to the teller at the Thai bank and simply convert so many dollars off the card into Thai Baht and then deposit it directly into your Thai account. Will you kindly explain the mechanics of such a transaction.

God Bless!

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » September 17, 2010, 7:57 pm

Fahlep Yai wrote:aeon has always had a fee since i have been using the machines, but it has been smaller than the 150 baht fee of the other machines in udon.
Neither my credit nor debet cards have ever been charged any ATM fee when using Aeon. It's probably your US(?) bank that charges you.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 17, 2010, 8:10 pm

Fahlep Yai wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:as of today there is still absolutely no fee for the transaction. I was using a Visa debit card on my account back in the USA and there's no fee on that side either, and the exchange rate is better than the posted exchange rate in banks for $50-100 bills. I have no idea about charges on either end or exchange rates for transactions in countries other than the USA.
your bank in the us may be paying the aeon fees. what bank do you use in the us?
Nope! Made two withdrawals from AEON in the past two weeks and neither time was I charged a fee on either end. My exchange rate today on the conversion through the ATM was 30.76 Baht per USD1, so they're not getting the fee out of the exchange either. Best rate today was Bangkok Bank at 30.40...walk in the bank here with a $100 bill and that's all you get on the exchange rate. Still looks like this is the best way to go.

Fahlep Yai
udonmap.com

Post by Fahlep Yai » September 17, 2010, 8:19 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
Fahlep Yai wrote:
Nope! Made two withdrawals from AEON in the past two weeks and neither time was I charged a fee on either end. My exchange rate today on the conversion through the ATM was 30.76 Baht per USD1, so they're not getting the fee out of the exchange either. Best rate today was Bangkok Bank at 30.40...walk in the bank here with a $100 bill and that's all you get on the exchange rate. Still looks like this is the best way to go.
i don't think i explained my post well. your bank must be absorbing the charge before it even hits your statement. my bank does not charge me, so the fee has to be aeon's fee. like i said, it comes two or three days after the transaction is done.

as for the atm/debit card cash advance, you must understand that everyone has different experiences here. what happens at one bank does not necessarily happen at another, and not even from branch to branch of the same bank. what i am about to share with you may even change tomorrow. lol i have done this successfully at the kassikorn branch at the complex, and at scb at the complex and at big c. i hand the teller my passport, savings book, thai driver's license and atm/debit card from the us. i tell her that i want a cash advance and the amount. she copies the passport picture page, i sign it and a couple of transaction receipts, she makes the deposit in my account, and i am on my way. kassikorn told me last week that their card swipe machine was broken. i will go back next week to see if it is working. a charge never appears on my account from either end.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 17, 2010, 8:29 pm

Fahlep Yai wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:
Fahlep Yai wrote:
i don't think i explained my post well. your bank must be absorbing the charge before it even hits your statement. my bank does not charge me, so the fee has to be aeon's fee. like i said, it comes two or three days after the transaction is done.

as for the atm/debit card cash advance, you must understand that everyone has different experiences here. what happens at one bank does not necessarily happen at another, and not even from branch to branch of the same bank. what i am about to share with you may even change tomorrow. lol i have done this successfully at the kassikorn branch at the complex, and at scb at the complex and at big c. i hand the teller my passport, savings book, thai driver's license and atm/debit card from the us. i tell her that i want a cash advance and the amount. she copies the passport picture page, i sign it and a couple of transaction receipts, she makes the deposit in my account, and i am on my way. kassikorn told me last week that their card swipe machine was broken. i will go back next week to see if it is working. a charge never appears on my account from either end.

Sounds great, but my next question is: what kind of exchange rate are you getting...and I mean down to the nearest Satang. Also, is there a limit on the amount that your US bank will allow you to withdraw over the counter daily with a debit card? I have never tried the cash advance route, but I am positive that my bank will only allow a $1,000. max daily withdrawal by ATM.

God Bless! This is great info. Let's keep it going until we figure it all out for the best.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 18, 2010, 9:32 am

semperfiguy wrote: Sounds great, but my next question is: what kind of exchange rate are you getting...and I mean down to the nearest Satang. Also, is there a limit on the amount that your US bank will allow you to withdraw over the counter daily with a debit card? I have never tried the cash advance route, but I am positive that my bank will only allow a $1,000. max daily withdrawal by ATM.

God Bless! This is great info. Let's keep it going until we figure it all out for the best.
The max for a cash advance should be set by your stateside bank, mine is $1000 (USAA), but I can call my bank and have them raise the limit for a one time transaction. You should also check with your US bank ask what they charge for a cash advance, typically it's 1% for a debt card and 3% for a credit card. The charge may be referenced as a "conversion fee".

The local banks here have their limits as well. From my experience K-Bank (Kasikorn) is 20K, Siam (Big C) the most I withdrew was 40K, and BKK bank (main branch) claim "no limit". No fees by the Thai banks and only the 1% for the conversion fee. The exchange rate is normally the T/T rate posted for that day.

Always have the money transferred directly into your local bank account so you have the proper bank codes annotated on your savings book (for Immigration purposes if required).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 16, 2010, 3:29 am

This article may interest those who are looking for ways around foreign transaction fees.
http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/ ... -moneyema4
The Penfed card (mentioned in paragraph 6) is available to any US military veteran. You can find their summary of terms at
https://www.penfed.org/usedBehindPin/Fo ... ms-Web.pdf

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » December 1, 2010, 12:12 pm

Last Sunday I used for the first time the AEON ATM at Big C. The maximum amount I was allowed to withdraw was 10,000.00baht. Exchange rate was 45.08 and my UK bank charged 3.19GBP. :evil:
Won't be doing that again. :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 1, 2010, 4:09 pm

Galee wrote:Last Sunday I used for the first time the AEON ATM at Big C. The maximum amount I was allowed to withdraw was 10,000.00baht. Exchange rate was 45.08 and my UK bank charged 3.19GBP. :evil:
Won't be doing that again. :D
Really, I used it last night and withdrew 17,000bt. Never had problem withdrawing the max on my ATM debit card which is $600.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”