Die Dollar! Die!

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Re: Die Dollar! Die!

Post by UdonExpat » October 16, 2010, 5:10 pm

QE2 will push more people into poverty and further diminish the middle class. The QE idea has nothing to do with helping the average person and everything to do with helping the wealthy. QE2 will continue the move towards a world of the wealthy and the people who work day to day to serve them and just get by, if even that.

The present recession hasn't hurt big business, in fact, corporate profits have increased. The stock market has been going great guns and the wealthy are raking it in hand over fist. Big businesses that were in danger of failing were bailed out by taxpayers who were then laid off when small businesses were allowed to fail and their assets picked up at steep discounts by the big companies. Those who have get and those who haven't get gotten.

The developed countries are in the process of diminishing the so called middle class. Most of the middle class are headed towards poverty and servitude. The workers of the world are moving towards equality. Workers in developed countries making high wages are losing out to those desperate for any work. Real wages in the US haven't risen in decades and after this latest recession the talk will change to how much real wages are diminishing.

I see this as a natural consequence of capitalism's development. Workers are at the mercy of employers and employers will hire the cheapest workers they can find. Consequently the initial flight of unskilled jobs (textiles, manufacturing) from developed to developing countries. Now, the skilled jobs (engineers, technicians) are starting to move from developed to developing countries. Developing countries are providing enough education for their workers to now compete with skilled workers.

In time, wages will become comparable across the planet. On the way there, the workers in developed countries will be giving up real wages while workers in the developing world will be gaining. The big employers will define the wages and benefits.
The Middle Class in America Is Radically Shrinking. Here Are the Stats to Prove it

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/th ... MT,XRT,DIA

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » October 18, 2010, 5:50 am

The WHAMMIE cometh...

OPEC Members Seek $100 Oil to Counter Dollar Weakness

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-1 ... venue.html

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » October 26, 2010, 2:13 pm

[album][/album]Investors recently bet $10 billion that inflation will rear its head soon. Some bought special inflation protected bonds at up to a 5.5% premium, paying $105.50 for $100 of bonds.

Maybe the good old days of 10-15% inflation will return and our COLA pegged pensions will grow faster than the exchange rate.
In Bond Frenzy, Investors Bet on Inflation
By CHRISTINE HAUSER
Published: October 25, 2010

At a time when savers complain that they are earning almost no interest from their bank accounts, some investors on Monday bought United States government bonds that effectively had a negative rate of return.

Bizarre as it sounds, that is correct. In an auction of a special kind of five-year Treasury bond, investors paid $105.50 for every $100 of bonds the government sold — agreeing to pay the government for the privilege of lending it money.

The reason is that these types of bonds offer a guaranteed protection against inflation. So, if inflation soars — as some economists worry might happen, with the government seeking to give the economy a boost by flooding it with money — the value of the bonds would go up accordingly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/busin ... f=business

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » October 26, 2010, 2:13 pm

[album][/album]Investors recently bet $10 billion that inflation will rear its head soon. Some bought special inflation protected bonds at up to a 5.5% premium, paying $105.50 for $100 of bonds.

Maybe the good old days of 10-15% inflation will return and our COLA pegged pensions will grow faster than the exchange rate.
In Bond Frenzy, Investors Bet on Inflation
By CHRISTINE HAUSER
Published: October 25, 2010

At a time when savers complain that they are earning almost no interest from their bank accounts, some investors on Monday bought United States government bonds that effectively had a negative rate of return.

Bizarre as it sounds, that is correct. In an auction of a special kind of five-year Treasury bond, investors paid $105.50 for every $100 of bonds the government sold — agreeing to pay the government for the privilege of lending it money.

The reason is that these types of bonds offer a guaranteed protection against inflation. So, if inflation soars — as some economists worry might happen, with the government seeking to give the economy a boost by flooding it with money — the value of the bonds would go up accordingly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/busin ... f=business

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » October 27, 2010, 11:08 am

the biggest problem with this article is that they are not saying WHO the investors are..... :? :?
as I mentioned before,
it is very well possible that it is the fed that is buying back his own treasury bonds , as it has done several times in the past :evil: :evil: :evil:
confusion all over, and that is exactly what they are looking for :evil: :evil:

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » October 27, 2010, 1:06 pm

That is exactly what is going on. Treasury continues to sell bonds and other securities to the Fed who just *poof* issues more dollars to by them. There is no end in sight and no harmless way to pull those dollars out of the market. The best case that can be made of this increasingly worst case scenario is to spread the damage out over as long of a time frame as possible. That is exactly what the politicians are attempting. It's a problem that has been festering for some 40 years now which gets accelerated every Republican administration, then the Dems try to correct it, but can't hold onto power long enough to see a permanent correction. Case in point is Clinton's surpluses which were followed by Republicans not only completely reversing policies which could have seen the entire national debt retired in my lifetime, but making it worse than ever before during the entire history of human existence on the planet. (!)

It is now mathematically, practially, and politically impossible to retire enough of the debt to see it back to the manageable and reasonable level it was pre-Reagan era during my lifetime or my children's lifetime without causing a whole LOT of pain. IMHO the only viable option we have is exactly what is going on now: inflate our way out of debt, ruin the economy and American way of life, scrap the dollar, and start over with a real currency based on a real asset (such as gold) again. The great fiat experiment is over - it was a failure. Just a matter of time until everyone gets the memo.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » October 27, 2010, 1:20 pm

The case AGAINST gold. Simply put, we are not the simple pre-industrial age societies who used gold in transactions the world over. Today, gold is a critical material in almost every electronic device we use. If gold were allowed to rise to where it should be ($2,000 - $5,000/oz depending on who you believe), electronic products would be so expensive as to no longer be affordable. The aftermath of such a rise in the price would see entire industries collapse and computers again becoming something only governments and the uber rich can afford. I can't imagine the chaos the world would be in without electronics in it. Can you?

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » October 28, 2010, 8:40 am

Uncertainty about the extent of QE2 is causing volatility in the bond and equity markets as investors scramble to hedge their bets that the treasury will decide to dump a lot of money into the bond market after their meeting next week. Seems the treasury may not be all that enamored of massive QE and may only make modest purchases. We should find out next week.
World economy: Some enchanted easingBy Robin Harding
Published: October 28 2010 00:16

Quantitative easing is the ugly and much disputed name for an ugly and much disputed monetary tactic. Definitions differ, but a good one is that QE is the practice of expanding a central bank’s balance sheet by buying long-term assets in an attempt to drive down long-term interest rates, something that it only has reason to do once short-term interest rates are already at or close to zero.

At a meeting that concludes on Wednesday next week the Federal Reserve will ponder whether to do more of this on top of the $1,725bn of assets that it bought during the financial crisis of 2008 and 2009. So enfeebled is the US recovery that its answer – although much disputed by hawks on the rate-setting Federal Open Market Committee – is likely to be yes.

The Fed continues to debate how large QE2 should eventually become but the most common market estimate is that it will initially involve about $500bn of asset purchases spread over about six months. Fed officials have done little to tell markets that they are wrong. The size that QE2 might eventually reach is still a subject of intense debate within the Fed.

The prospect of further quantitative easing by the US central bank – something that tends to drive down the dollar – is creating pressure for similar action around the world. The Bank of Japan has already adopted further easing measures.

Yet there remain a series of questions about QE2: whether it will work, whether its costs outweigh its benefits, and whether there is an alternative policy that could more easily stimulate the US economy................................

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4c823958-e1ff ... abdc0.html

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 4, 2010, 2:15 pm

Some thoughts on recent developments affecting the prospects for the USD.

QE2

While it may (in theory) be beneficial for growth, US stock market indexes and inflation it is, in my opinion, certainly bad for the value of the USD.

The potential costs of unwinding both QE1 and QE2 in the future are as yet unquantifiable and, as such, are quite daunting (there is no historical precedent to draw on).

I have to admit that I can’t get my head round how inflation can be helpful to Main St – I view inflation as one of the biggest wealth reducers for the middle classes who work hard and save for their retirement only to see their savings evaporate from inflation.

Being somewhat cynical, I find it difficult to view QE2 as anything more than a short term placebo whose sole financial beneficiaries will, once again, be Wall St (at the expense of Main St).

Mid Term Election

The only specific cuts talked about in the campaign were “tax cuts” - there was endless rhetoric about spending cuts but none of the parties would say where they would make them.

While there is a plentiful history of talk by Republicans on fiscal conservatism, analysing the annual Financial Reports of the US Government available from the US Treasury shows that, regrettably, it is nothing more than just talk.

Reports available here: http://www.fms.treas.gov/index.html

US Corporate Profits held overseas

US corporations are currently holding nearly a Trillion USD in cash overseas from profits made in their operations there - this cash is being held overseas and not repatriated to the US because the profits only become taxable in the US when the profits are repatriated to the US.

Put another way US corporations are holding the equivalent of about one and a half times the TARP limit of 700 billion outside of the country which, in theory, could have been reinvested in and benefited the US economy and GDP.

As has been seen over the last couple of years with the THB cash flowing in or out of a country is a factor in strengthening or weakening a currency – a trillion USD flowing into the US would help to strengthen the USD (or at the very least reduce the rate that it weakens).

So not only were the manufacturing jobs exported overseas (and the wages that they paid), but the taxes on the profits were lost and, furthermore, no taxes are being paid on what are bigger profits that were previously being made (none of which helps the budget deficit).

Adding insult to injury, some of those same companies with massive cash balances held overseas are, rather than repatriating the cash and paying taxes, issuing bonds in the US (which are tax deductible) so they can pay dividends.

It appears that behind the scenes there is some pretty intense lobbying going on for a tax holiday on overseas earnings so that they can avoid having to pay tax.

In mitigation, looking at it from the corporate perspective, companies have a duty to their shareholders to maximise their returns and, as such, could actually be sued for acting against the interests of shareholders if they did repatriate the cash and pay taxes. There is absolutely nothing illegal in keeping cash outside the country to avoid paying tax, the downside is on the budget deficit and the value of the USD.

I should point out that if I was the CFO of any of the companies involved I would be doing exactly the same as they are doing – the only way that I would repatriate the cash would be if, in my judgment, avoiding tax now might be prejudicial to the longer term future of the business.

CAVEAT – while I used to have a reasonable knowledge of US corporate and tax law I am no longer fully “au fait” with it so my interpretation above may well be incorrect; anyone with current knowledge please feel free to correct as appropriate.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 4, 2010, 2:37 pm

What's another $600 Mil anyway get them printers rolling!
US money printing no 'magic wand'

By business editor Peter Ryan

Updated 1 hour 35 minutes ago
US notes

The Federal Reserve is now electronically pumping billions of dollars into the financial system (AFP: Karen Bleier)

* Audio: Federal Reserve unveils US$600 billion boost (The World Today)
* Related Story: Fed poised to act on faltering US economy
* Related Story: Bernanke confident despite sluggish US growth
* Related Story: US government says double dip recession unlikely

The Federal Reserve will pump an extra $US600 billion into the US financial system to try and boost the country's ailing economy.

The Australian dollar shot through parity with the greenback as soon as the measures were announced, and has remained there throughout the local trading day.------------

-----------Before today, the money printing bill had already hit $US1.75 trillion, after an initial $US600 billion program from November 2008 was not enough. -----------
Another pay rise for me!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ion=justin

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » November 4, 2010, 4:43 pm

Yep, the sky is darkening. An inflation storm is coming. Nobody knows how to pull all those dollars out. Inflation is terrible for the US domestic and global economies. The only "good" that could possibly come from it is to inflate to the point where retiring existing debt obligations becomes cheap.

Indeed, inflation is already rampant. Just pick any item in the CPI to confirm it. Bread, for example, increased over 50% since 2000 (!). Living abroad, we are sensitive to such things on a daily basis because we see it in the exchange rates. Contrarily, those living "back home" don't see it as clearly since they have been trimming their shopping cart over a 10 year period rather than overnight. Imagine the shock and horror if it did happen overnight. People would have demanded action long ago.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?ap

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to whip out your checkbook, write yourself a check for a few hundred billion, deposit it into the same account, and the funds are there to spend as you see fit? Must be great to be the Fed...

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » November 4, 2010, 9:50 pm

Remaind me about a certain periode.

In the aftherrnoon the boss pay out your wage, and imedetly you went schopping, and buy a bread fore 1 000 000 RM, becaurse next day the same bread coast you 2 000 000 ;-)

But ho's care, iff inflation go up in my country, the wage go up aswell, so i have More Bath fore 1 €

So sheers up and let it rol :-)

maxeboy
udonmap.com

Post by maxeboy » November 5, 2010, 11:45 am

Warning of Possible Bank Holiday

Emergency Request For Additional Verification From Those In The Banking World On Rumored Bank Shutdowns – please email me if you have info

Steve Quayle November 4, 2010

QUESTION: When in U.S. History has a sitting President taken off on an overseas trip for an extended period of time, with 65 airplanes, 34 warships reportedly 3,000 people including his friends and cohorts, at the pinnacle of an economic and political upheaval.

ANSWER: Never!

So what's up? Yesterday I received a call that should alarm for even the most "comatose in La La Land". A pastor known to the gentleman who called me had been called into a very prominent East Coast bank to tell the pastor by one of its top people at the bank that a bank holiday is coming as early as Nov 11.

The bank official has been friends with this pastor for a long time. The only thing that was said, was for the pastor to realize that once the banks reopened, that all withdrawals by checks would be limited to $500 per week - no matter what the balance in the account is. No period of Time for the length of the Banks closures were given. Coupled with information posted last year on this site from major Mid-west banking consortium it dovetails perfectly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you have been paying attention to France, Britain, Ireland and Greece, which at this point are the poster children for financial rioting, can you even begin to imagine the Ramifications of Financial Rioting In the U.S? The once hidden attack ,now in plain sight, against world finances, is in full scale operational mode in order to destroy by design, all national currencies and to bring on "A ONE WORLD CURRENCY AND GLOBAL GOVERNMENT"!

Once again consider our mutual dependence upon electronic verification of every sales transaction, credit card purchase and bank deposits and or withdrawals. Whether most understand or comprehend, most wealth on financial statements and Balance sheets are numbers, computer entries and IOU's of dubious quality. Think about the old adage --"Possession is Nine Tenths of the Law". In other words, if it's not in your hands it's in some one else's hands no matter how much you try and rationalize it away!

This is a defining moment. AMERICA IS BANKRUPT and the rest of the world is no longer willing to go along with Quantitative Easing, which means printing money out of thin air with nothing to back it up but global war. Every nation that has tried to print its way out of an insurmountable debt situation ends up embroiled in internal war and usually under the leadership of a dictator who is as willing to spill the blood of his countrymen, as fast as he prints more worthless currency!

The reason you all have a sense of SOMETHING BIG getting ready to happen is the fact that it is HAPPENING NOW.

When all commerce ceases, no goods are on the store shelves and all transportation comes to a silent stop. Then will it be clear, even to those who finally get it, that the only ones who will be eating, other than those who have prepared, are the zombies, and none of us want to end up on their evening menu!

Kind regards from Maxeboy

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 5, 2010, 12:04 pm

Both the Euro rate (at 1%) and the UK bank rate (at 0.5%) remain unchanged. In the UK
Gross domestic product (GDP) grew at 0.8% in the third quarter - better than expected - and recent manufacturing data was also upbeat.
Also meant that the mooted idea of some UK QE is on the back burner for now. Some economists still suggest that it still may be necessary due to the up & coming VAT increase & deficit-cutting programme have an impact on growth.
On the cuts front a group of MPs had reported that the necessary value was just not being found.
The Commons Public Accounts Committee found only £15bn of a three-year £35bn savings programme outlined in 2007 had been achieved by 2009.
However, the Chancellor has bounced back with..
The chancellor said the cuts would be a "challenge" but would be achieved through greater transparency and accountability.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11689056

We will see, but I think the impact of what is needed to be done has been under-estimated by many. I would be surprised if departments had 'unnecessary waste' queuing up at their door to be saved. If told to cut costs few managers have the ability to see past cutting jobs as the way forward...

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » November 6, 2010, 7:15 pm

News Flash!

I just learned that Ron Paul will chair the sub-committee having Fed oversight. ROFLMAO! Oh, what interesting developments there will be for the dollar! Stay tuned!

http://www.examiner.com/finance-examine ... bcommittee

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » November 7, 2010, 8:54 am

The Federal Reserve has become a dinosaur in the world of nanotechnology. If Ron Paul gets this chairmanship he'll also have oversight over many other national financial services. The BIG question is, will the Republican power structure allow him to have this chair? They may not want an opponent of the financial system messing with the trough that is feeding the financial industry.

In the meantime the Fed has announced it will purchase an additional $600 billion of treasury notes over the next many months. This will further deflate the value of the USD and threatens the emerging countries of the world with increased capital inflows that put them at risk for inflation and financial bubbles as capital flees the US and seeks safer havens.
In Japan, U.S. Defends Fed ActionsBy HIROKO TABUCHI
Published: November 6, 2010

KYOTO, Japan — The United States confronted growing restiveness with its economic policy on Saturday as leading Asian countries resisted its call to set limits on trade deficits and surpluses while also warning that the decision to pump more money into the American economy would have harmful global repercussions.

The heightened wariness about United States policy underscores the difficulties facing the Obama administration as it experiments with ways to shore up the economy. The strategy differences will present a challenge to President Obama when he travels to Seoul this week for a meeting of the Group of 20 nations, where leaders will try to reach a framework for correcting the trade imbalances that economists say threaten a fragile global recovery.

The growing divide was evident here on Saturday at a gathering of finance ministers from the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, after several days of sharp criticism of the Federal Reserve’s announcement that it would buy $600 billion in Treasury securities to bolster growth.

Countries like China, Brazil and Germany have warned that the unilateral move devalues an already-weak dollar, and could set off a destabilizing flow of funds into emerging economies that will inflate their own currencies and make their exports more expensive.

On Friday, the German finance minister assailed United States monetary policy as “clueless,” and China suggested that American officials explain their decision so as to calm international anxiety............................

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/busin ... lobal-home

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » November 7, 2010, 2:10 pm

UdonExpat wrote:On Friday, the German finance minister assailed United States monetary policy as “clueless,”

"Clueless" I guess that pretty well sums it up. I am no economist or accountant by any means but, I will say this from my own experience, borrowing from one credit card to pay another is just plain stupid.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » November 8, 2010, 10:39 am

I will say this from my own experience, borrowing from one credit card to pay another is just plain stupid.
Not only that, the US is taking cash out on the second card, third card, fourth card, fifth card, sixth card, .........

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » November 8, 2010, 10:51 am

UdonExpat wrote:
I will say this from my own experience, borrowing from one credit card to pay another is just plain stupid.
Not only that, the US is taking cash out on the second card, third card, fourth card, fifth card, sixth card, .........
and this has been going on for how long without any reaction, let alone change of direction????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and after soooo many years, people are suddenly shocked..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » November 13, 2010, 1:22 pm

Ha! This is a brilliant little video. One of the best and most concise explanation of what is currently going on with the Fed and monetary policy. Enjoy! \:D/

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”