Turbo Tax?

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
muscle
udonmap.com

Turbo Tax?

Post by muscle » January 15, 2007, 10:53 am

Americans...yes it is that time again. And since Uncle Sugar owes me $, I want them, now. Problem is: Turbo Tax will not download on line to this ISP with the new program. Amazon.com will not ship a copy to Thailand. Apparently, if you are an American living overseas, you are a pariah. Does anyone know where I can buy a legal (not Thai) copy of TurboTax?
I am trying to avoid having to ask someone to buy a copy and ship it to me.
Thanks

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » January 15, 2007, 1:57 pm

Muscle,I have used turbtax every year.I just checked and I still have it online!

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » January 15, 2007, 2:10 pm

Muscle, I had to have my son send it to me, I purchased online and then had it mailed to him. Now all I have to do is get my son off his backside and send the cd to me....by UPS or Express.

Pop's :pirate:

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » January 15, 2007, 3:20 pm

BKKSTAN, your memory is better than mine. Both brain-wise and computer. When I went to the TurboTax site and plugged in what I though was my password and log-in from last year, I got the "We don't know you" error message. I provided the requested ID to the help desk and got the "call our 1-800 number/30 minute average wait time" message. How many 300 baht phone cards would that take? Rule out that option.
Foolishly, I balked at the $800 and some odd dollar charge UPS wanted to deliver my nearly new HP desktop and 19" flatscreen to Laos from DC. I backed up everything on the 250 gig HD and the older laptop, wiped the HPs memory and gave it to my brother. Silly me, I though there would be no problem replacing the desktop judging the desktop prices I had seen over here but not realizing the software problems. The back up HD has my forms, so I have the info, but it does not have the program so i can't update it. I had given away the CD ROM for TurboTax 2005 to a friend to use.
The laptop crashed last week and had to be reloaded with my recovery disks which of course did not recover Office or any of my other programs like TurboTax 2004.
I ended up doing what you did Pops. Oddly, I did it even before I read your post so we must think alike. My buddy at Ft Myer is picking me up a copy of TurboTax Deluxe at the PX tomorrow and mailing it over. I may go the same route with XP-Pro as Amazon won't ship a copy of that either.
I should have bit the bullet and just shipped my big but fully loaded desktop.
Save a penny, spend a pound as my Brit friends say.
Maybe someone else moving over here from the US will learn from this. If you have a good working desktop, ship it.

ctm
udonmap.com

Post by ctm » January 15, 2007, 10:09 pm

I know where you can download a copy. :-$

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Re: Turbo Tax?

Post by Dakoda » January 16, 2007, 7:33 am

muscle wrote:Americans...yes it is that time again. And since Uncle Sugar owes me $, I want them, now. Problem is: Turbo Tax will not download on line to this ISP with the new program. Amazon.com will not ship a copy to Thailand. Apparently, if you are an American living overseas, you are a pariah. Does anyone know where I can buy a legal (not Thai) copy of TurboTax?
Thanks
I have always used the on-line version, why buy when you can rent.

Choose the TurboTax product that's
right for you, and get started now!

Prepare and file your income taxes from any computer with an Internet connection. TurboTax Online stores your tax return for you. Nothing to install.
Free e-file included with online products.
of course it helps to have a safe computer :!: :wink:

valentine

Post by valentine » January 16, 2007, 7:36 am

Okay. Someones got to ask. May as well be me. What the hell is Turbo tax?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 16, 2007, 8:08 am

it's a software program to do your USA income taxes, basically easy fill in the blanks thing, when done, basically fills out your tax return, and if elected, forwards it to IRS, USA tax department, for refund or payment. very good program, and much cheaper than tax preparer, usually.

valentine

Post by valentine » January 16, 2007, 9:09 am

Thank you LA. I had visions of you all running around in souped up pickups to pay your taxes. A whole new meaning for Turbo charged aye? :lol:

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » January 16, 2007, 10:18 am

The on-line system would be ok if I had a simple return to file but I require days to input data and massage it into something aceptable. I need to work off line, then submit. With my number dyslexia, it is necessary to double check many times before submission. No problem, my buddy bought a copy at the Post Exchange yesterday and will mail it today. Yesteday was Martin Luther individual Day so the Post Office was closed.
I appreciate the offer of a copy but there is already a bunch of unlicensed software on this machine that I am trying to replace.
E-filing is so much better than taking the shoeboxes of receipts down to H&R Block to have a preparer do it. I am glad those days are over. Then with direct deposit, the return $ is usually in my bank account in a week or less.
Next year, not so difficult. This year, all the moving deductions must be accounted for.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » January 16, 2007, 11:16 pm

muscle wrote:The on-line system would be ok if I had a simple return to file but I require days to input data and massage it into something aceptable. I need to work off line, then submit.
just to clear up the above.

It takes me weeks to finish the on-line return. No one could do it at one sitting, well at least the long forms. I will not start thinking about it til April Fools Day :!: After that on some slow day, will start by filling/changing my personel data and maybe a day or two later add some numbers, then around the 10th, get serious :!: :)

Oh, and each time you log on, you can start where you left off, or go back, or even jump ahead :!:

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » January 16, 2007, 11:28 pm

Dakoda wrote:
muscle wrote: just to clear up the above.

Oh, and each time you log on, you can start where you left off, or go back, or even jump ahead :!:
I didn't realize that about the on-line system. Thanks for the info. I am still living in the dark ages of Germany where I was using an internet cafe and had no home service. Not secure to do anything financial on line so I got used to the CD-ROM package and then I would transmit it from my Army work computer which was more secure but locked out for hotmail and yahoo.
Maybe next year. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » January 17, 2007, 1:01 am

If you're using TurboTax for 2006, be aware that there are downloads that still need to be sent to you. The education deductions aren't available yet (if you have a dependent at university), and the State filings aren't all available yet either.

You'll need a licensed version to get the downloads, so be careful if you try to use an unlicensed version.

We're trying the Premier version this year with the expanded Schedule C for self-employed.

SanBorn
udonmap.com

Re: Turbo Tax?

Post by SanBorn » April 15, 2007, 10:35 am

muscle wrote:Americans...yes it is that time again. And since Uncle Sugar owes me $, I want them, now. Problem is: Turbo Tax will not download on line to this ISP with the new program. Amazon.com will not ship a copy to Thailand. Apparently, if you are an American living overseas, you are a pariah. Does anyone know where I can buy a legal (not Thai) copy of TurboTax?
Thanks
I used TaxAct online last year and had no problems. It was only $16 for federal and state and it took me 2-3 hours to complete.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 16, 2007, 3:30 pm

I got Turbo Tax, sent it my sons house and my son mailed it to me.

Pop's :pirate:

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”