Bank ATM Fees 180

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by BobHelm » November 30, 2015, 10:32 am

Aeon are still charging 150 baht for withdrawls.
Pity that their ATM in the Plaza went walkabout, so 'UD Town now for me...

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » November 30, 2015, 11:27 am

BobHelm wrote:Aeon are still charging 150 baht for withdrawls.
Pity that their ATM in the Plaza went walkabout, so 'UD Town now for me...
It didn't walk too far...Aeon opened a full service branch located on the 3rd floor.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by BobHelm » November 30, 2015, 11:32 am

papaguido wrote:It didn't walk too far...Aeon opened a full service branch located on the 3rd floor.
Ah, thanks for that Papa.
I had a pretty good look around when it first disappeared & never saw the branch...
Can you give me some idea where it is in relation to the other banks...

bumper
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bumper » November 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Is there one at Big C ?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

pomps
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by pomps » November 30, 2015, 2:06 pm

Trying to remember where is the one in the old big c,near boots :-k
Seen the one as you walk into old tesco lotus,the main entrance 8)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » November 30, 2015, 2:55 pm

BobHelm wrote:
papaguido wrote:It didn't walk too far...Aeon opened a full service branch located on the 3rd floor.
Ah, thanks for that Papa.
I had a pretty good look around when it first disappeared & never saw the branch...
Can you give me some idea where it is in relation to the other banks...
I think it's on the opposite side of the mall to the banks...

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » November 30, 2015, 2:59 pm

pomps wrote:Trying to remember where is the one in the old big c,near boots :-k
Seen the one as you walk into old tesco lotus,the main entrance 8)
Old Big C: ATM was relocated from top of "food court" escalator and now sits next to Amorn entrance (behind key kiosk).

waanjai
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by waanjai » November 30, 2015, 11:17 pm

Avoiding those ATMs that already charge 200 Baht for foreign credit or ATM-cards is a short time strategy. Those banks that currently ask for 150 will soon follow the other banks. AEON once started with zero surcharge - and where are they now?

If You staying in Thailand for a rather short time only - that means the work to be invested into opening an account with a Thai bank and subsequently transferring funds from your home country to this Thai bank is relatively high - it is almost always advisable to get a credit card which refunds any bank-specific surcharges worldwide.

This is the trick done when some banks advertise: Free worldwide cash withdrawals

Have a look at e.g.: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... avel-money For Europeans the DKB bank is quite fortunate. You get a Visa credit card - that can also be maintained as a pure debit card - that allows cash withdrawals with bank surcharges refunded. If you withdraw money from Thai ATMs 5 times during your stay in Thailand as a tourist you will have surcharges accrued of about 5 x 150-200 Baht. A simple e-mail to the bank and they will refund these surcharges. Easy for them as they see in their records what were the amounts withdrawn and what were the thai bank surcharges.

This way you avoid travelling to the cheapest ATM in town.

pomps
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by pomps » December 1, 2015, 6:24 am

Thanks for that Waanjai ,a link to their account opening procedures for Germans and non Germans 8)
https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/dkb/a ... d-formular

bumper
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bumper » December 1, 2015, 10:55 am

I'll be there I will take a look and see. I think there used to be one. I followed them close when they were not charging. The cost of the transfer is on a part of the equation different banks give different rates of exchanges.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by BobHelm » December 1, 2015, 11:31 am

Thanks Papa, almost exactly where you indicated.
Nice little addition to the Plaza for me as the UD Town branch gets especially busy at this time of the month...

mac1966
udonmap.com

Re: Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by mac1966 » December 1, 2015, 12:04 pm

Forgive my ignorance but if you go inside the bank and ask for cash advance from your debit card. Does this not bypass the atm fee. Or is the fee somehow included within the transaction.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by BobHelm » December 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

I think that you will find that there is now a policy in Udon of the banks refusing to do this anymore & telling the customer to use the ATM. Or so I have been reliably informed...

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by kubotatim » December 1, 2015, 1:25 pm

can you blame them??

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 1, 2015, 1:29 pm

mac1966 wrote:Forgive my ignorance but if you go inside the bank and ask for cash advance from your debit card. Does this not bypass the atm fee. Or is the fee somehow included within the transaction.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
I rely on cash advance using my debt card. I'm not assessed any transfer fees from either my US based or local bank, but I'm still paying a 1% foreign exchange (same as ATM) fee on the transaction.
BobHelm wrote:I think that you will find that there is now a policy in Udon of the banks refusing to do this anymore & telling the customer to use the ATM. Or so I have been reliably informed...
Bob,

I believe it varies from bank to bank, but if an individual is only withdrawing 20K I can understand their reasoning. Many banks have set limits, i.e. K-bank is 30K max, Bangkok Bank main branch has no limit (what I was told a while back). When I banked with SCB, I was told their minimum was 30K (forget what the max was) and Krungsri bank at HomePro where I bank let me withdrawal 90K on one occasion, I never asked if they have a limit.

rick
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by rick » December 1, 2015, 3:23 pm

I tried to do the cash advance trick once. Kasikorn just refused point blank, said use ATM. I tried one other bank who also declined, and finally SCB who agreed. However SCB slapped on a surcharge themselves and i would have done better at the AEON ATM (which i normally use). UK bank transfer fees are actually higher than my typical monthly AEON ATM fees (i use a fee free UK card, but they do not refund the AEON fee).

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » December 1, 2015, 3:23 pm

papaguido wrote:I believe it varies from bank to bank,.. .
....and reason for transaction.

Think of all the people who are building houses in Udon. During that process I had to get 100.000 - 150.000 Baht out of my savings account to pay others (I was buying all building material under my name) a couple of times.

Nobody could convince the builders to use the ATM for such purposes. And no bank would like to see this happening as refilling the ATM costs money.

rick
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by rick » December 1, 2015, 3:32 pm

I see DKB will only open accounts to residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland; only provide an account in Euros and require legally notarised proof of identity to open an account. Not much use for most of us.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » December 1, 2015, 6:07 pm

rick wrote:I tried to do the cash advance trick once. Kasikorn just refused point blank, said use ATM. I tried one other bank who also declined, and finally SCB who agreed. However SCB slapped on a surcharge themselves and i would have done better at the AEON ATM (which i normally use). UK bank transfer fees are actually higher than my typical monthly AEON ATM fees (i use a fee free UK card, but they do not refund the AEON fee).
Things may have changed. It was my experience about 4yrs ago with the banks I mentioned previously. Except for Krungsri (HomePro) which I've been using for the last for 4 yrs for my monthly cash advance. Krungsri's ATM's are also convenient because it allows a one time 30K withdrawal.

bignote1
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bignote1 » December 1, 2015, 6:31 pm

BobHelm wrote:I think that you will find that there is now a policy in Udon of the banks refusing to do this anymore & telling the customer to use the ATM. Or so I have been reliably informed...
Two weeks ago I went into a bank in Pattaya and asked the current sterling exchange rate.....54.30 I was informed. Handed over my Halifax card and asked for the baht equivalent for £200.... Card was taken into back room and 2 minutes later man returned and said card refused. I said impossible try again. Man said will not.... use ATM. At the ATM the business was concluded with a 200 baht charge and an exchange rate of 53.2. I went back inside to ask why card was acceptable in ATM but not in bank and why was exchange rate different. All of a sudden the staff lost all of their English skills and could only speak Thai.
No I did not loose my temper, these people are employees and don't make policy, but for me it gives a part answer to the question "Why don't we like bankers?"

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”