how to find the true Value of a 1 Rai Land to buy?

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Rubens

Post by Rubens » August 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

hello community

I am new here

I would like to ask you, how to find the true Value of a Land of the Size of 1 Rai in Thailand?

Not in Bangkok, but in all other major Cities

Not in the Center of a City, but somehow in a reasonable Distance of some Kilometers

Thanks for any Suggestion

Seahawk
udonmap.com

Post by Seahawk » August 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

Hi Rubens and Welcome.
I don't wish to come across as either pedantic or unhelpful, but Thailand (when it comes to Real Estate) is no different to the rest of the world.
You obviously understand that land in the Capital would be more expensive than anywhere else in the Country, which I guess is why you are not requesting info on that. You must now understand that all the Thai major Cities have land at a premium. It will depend on how far out of a City you are prepared to be.
Udon Thani, up to about five years ago was a lot cheaper for land than it is now. However, with the influx of foreign investment (most notably Chinese) the land value now is more of a premium and still rising.
If you are prepared to live out in the sticks, you can pick up land for a couple of hundred thousand a rai. If you know of a reliable Thai who can assist you, all the better. There are some cheap plots out there that can still be picked up for peanuts, but you would really be living out in the boonies.
You can't realistically hope to get a plot of land at a decent price by sitting at your pc from whatever Country you come from. It is not an easy task for a farang to do this whilst in Thailand, never-mind doing it by proxy.
If you don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend you can trust, you will have to do the footwork yourself by coming over here.
Finally to go back to my opening statement. Can you imagine if I asked you to tell me how much land was in your Country, not in the Capital,not in the Center of a City, but somehow in a reasonable Distance of some Kilometers? You would probably ask me, how far from the City, what City, how far is a reasonable distance, do I know what I am talking about, who's name will it be under, what type of land, is it filled, does it have road access, does it have water and or power supply, if not what are the logistics involved? .....the list is endless.
Dreams are good to have, but you really need to come and look for yourself on what city you like and how far away from it you are prepared to live? If you are not American, it is extremely difficult for a foreigner to own land in Thailand. Although not impossible.
Good luck with your search.

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » August 2, 2015, 11:24 am

ask city hall for a valuation. taxes etc etc have to be paid so thats on what they think.

did you have some negative expreirences with this exercise?
temptation is a .....

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 2, 2015, 6:57 pm

tax valuation means nothing over here since the tax rates are low.. We pay about 200 baht a year for 3.25 Rai of land.. What the Land Office can tell you is what parcels of land in any area are selling for right now which may be far lower than what people are asking...
Dave

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » August 3, 2015, 12:38 am

Um it's location ,location,location.I know there are
Certain areas in Buriram that the land prices are a lot higher than prices in the U.S.I was really surprised.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » August 3, 2015, 7:47 am

It is worth what someone will pay for it.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 3, 2015, 9:32 am

asking prices are not necessarily selling prices. Within 300 meters of our house are 7.5 Rai, a 7 rai, a 21.5 rai, and a 35+ Rai plots of land that are for sale. The sellers are asking 1.5-2 million Baht a rai. All of these plots have been for sale for several years. The two largest plots were "improved" by putting in over a meter of fill, at no doubt considerable cost to enhance the value....
Dave

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » August 3, 2015, 11:16 am

if your are prepared to pay then you have the 'thai valuers association' or the 'valuers association of thailand' for the best outcome for a "true value".
temptation is a .....

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » August 4, 2015, 7:29 pm

Hi Rubens,

I note that you are asking for the value of land, not why you wish to know. Just to check that you know that non-Thais can not buy/own land?

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » August 4, 2015, 10:49 pm

Seahawk wrote: If you are not American, it is extremely difficult for a foreigner to own land in Thailand.
Seahawk, you are talking codswallop.
Let's say Rubens is a Russian Eskimo, which I doubt, but for illustration purposes let's say Ruben, the OP, is a Russian Eskimo who wants to buy a flooded rice field somewhere in Isaan.
He, the Russian Eskimo would be able to buy land in The Land of Smiles on the same terms as an American.
In fact if my bushman friend in Uganda sold his herd of goats and got a passport and some money he also could buy land in Isaan or anywhere else in Thailand on the same terms as an American.
The point OT is making is that all foreigners are in the same boat and there is no advantage of being an Anerican for the purpose of buying land in Thailand.

OT.............. \:D/

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 5, 2015, 7:52 am

old timer wrote: by old timer » August 4, 2015, 10:49 pm

Seahawk wrote:
If you are not American, it is extremely difficult for a foreigner to own land in Thailand.

Let's say Rubens is a Russian Eskimo, which I doubt, but for illustration purposes let's say Ruben, the OP, is a Russian Eskimo who wants to buy a flooded rice field somewhere in Isaan.
He, the Russian Eskimo would be able to buy land in The Land of Smiles on the same terms as an American.
In fact if my bushman friend in Uganda sold his herd of goats and got a passport and some money he also could buy land in Isaan or anywhere else in Thailand on the same terms as an American.
The point OT is making is that all foreigners are in the same boat and there is no advantage of being an Anerican for the purpose of buying land in Thailand.
OT, there is 'The Thailand Treaty of Amity', set up in 1966. You flapped your jowls without really knowing what your talking about, total miss information. It is very different for US citizens in Thailand.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 5, 2015, 9:38 am

the Treaty of Amity and Commerce allows American majority ownership of a company formed in Thailand for investment purposes.. No where in the treat does it allow individual American citizen ownership of land..
[url][/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of ... States)url]
Dave

Seahawk
udonmap.com

Post by Seahawk » August 5, 2015, 9:53 am

Cheers Coxo.

"Codswallop"? Rude to say the least.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 5, 2015, 10:30 am

Rubens, I am assuming you have probably not got what you really needed to know now the thread is going in the normal direction. There was some advice provided.
With the description and location of your indicated needs, you can contact me if you like for a piece of land that I have that would provide you an example of costs per Rai in a particular outer area. I am not trying to sell to you but provide one example for you.
You will need to be here as advised and look at a number of plots. It took me 1 year.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 5, 2015, 11:43 am

Rubens, it seems a strange question to ask. Surely you would have an idea of the locations you like, get on the internet for a starter and check out as much land as you can to get an idea of cost, then go and look and search at the location with agents etc, it will not take you long to work it all out yourself, I could never rely on strangers from a forum for this type of advice.

Frazzee the agreement allows Americans to be majority shareholders in their company's, the rest of us can only own 49%. Meaning your company can own land and you are the majority shareholder owner, in other words in control of your land, unlike the rest of us.

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » August 5, 2015, 9:17 pm

coxo wrote:
old timer wrote: by old timer » August 4, 2015, 10:49 pm

Seahawk wrote:
If you are not American, it is extremely difficult for a foreigner to own land in Thailand.

OT, there is 'The Thailand Treaty of Amity', set up in 1966. You flapped your jowls without really knowing what your talking about, total miss information. It is very different for US citizens in Thailand.
What all should know is that it is correct to say that an American is able to be a majority shareholder of a Thai Registered Company, however that still does not enable an American to buy land where he is the majority shareholder of the Land itself, or any other foreigner for that matter to own land in the LOS. All Foreigners are in the same boat when it comes to Land ownership in Thailand including Americans. Check out OT's new land ownership thread for clarification.

As for the OP's subject question, if you can get one rai within the Ring Road and away from the airport and for Bht 800,000 you would be looking at a fair price and I doubt you would lose money on that.

OT..................... \:D/

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”