Virtual Debit Cards

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Virtual Debit Cards

Post by wazza » December 27, 2016, 12:37 pm

My ATM Cards Debit Cards and Credit Cards have all worked overseas over the last 10 yrs or so.

BKK Bank Krungsri and Kasikorn

Sorry never went to India. But Central America America Middle East Etc all worked

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 27, 2016, 2:49 pm

Wazza I Have the Bang Kok bank debit /visa card Be 1st smart card, if you used it can you remember the charges incurred , I was hoping you'd answer the original question , anymore help would be appreciated ,also ive looked on line but there's no info on charges using cards abroad ,

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 27, 2016, 3:12 pm

H

To be honest i only update the passbook occassionaly so all the charges are added as 1 total for say 3 months....

I do know I incure local bank fees at the ATM plus Thai fees back here. But that is the Norm for most overseas transactions with most cards worldwide.

What does the BKK branch advise?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 27, 2016, 3:26 pm

Wazza , cheers i'm going to talk to them tomorrow ,iv'e got a few ways to access cash in India ,cash arriving when i get there ,GBP , then Thai bht , debit cards England (but the charges for those are a rip off , ) i'll post again after i talk to them , and then again if i use the card in India , because TIT ,what they say and what actually happens can be miles apart ,

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 27, 2016, 3:33 pm

I would let them know ur intentions of travel and location.

I havent used the New Smart Card as yet overseas. ( Union Pay )

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » December 27, 2016, 3:33 pm

MasterCard has generally lower fees than Visa
Of course, that's not to say that the bank won't just use a blanket charge for any card transaction
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 28, 2016, 1:18 pm

wazza wrote:I would let them know ur intentions of travel and location.

I havent used the New Smart Card as yet overseas. ( Union Pay )
Been in today , BKK bank state can use the new smart card anywhere , ATM's or shopping , as i'm MAybe going to use for cash withdrawals ATM 's In India i will get the exchange rate in India , there will be a BKK Bank charge of 200bht per transaction and also what the ATM charges , as there is a limit on the India ATM ( at the moment ) of 2500 rupee =1250 bht it could prove to be costly , but not as bad as the UK cards i have

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 28, 2016, 1:30 pm

A consumer group in Oz just did a FX comparison on an Australian study.

They took $100 AUD and at Sydney airport exchanged it for Chinese RMB. Paid a $9 odd fee plus a crap rate.

2 weeks later they took the RMB back to the Travelex booth at the airport and exchanged the RMB they originally received. With a furthur $9 odd fee and crap rate. They basically proved u lost $48 AuD in fees and FX rates.

The exchange rate was all but identical for the study. Ie no fluctuations that were significant.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 28, 2016, 5:33 pm

As it stands in India ,there are daily limits on the amount you can get ,,because some banks charge every time you use an ATM ,it now works out that with the minimum rate they charge ,you are paying 20% , it's an absolute scandal , that's why i'm taking various money forms , bht , dollar ,sterling ,luckily i have access to these without having to change to get them

harry68
udonmap.com

Post by harry68 » December 28, 2016, 8:49 pm

I am in India now (unfortunately) work not pleasure.
My advise leave your cards in your wallet and use $US and don't let anyone try to give you 500 or 1000 as they are now can not be use they have been taken out of circulation.
So be careful in the land of smiling assassins.

Harry

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 29, 2016, 2:15 am

harry68 wrote:I am in India now (unfortunately) work not pleasure.
My advise leave your cards in your wallet and use $US and don't let anyone try to give you 500 or 1000 as they are now can not be use they have been taken out of circulation.
So be careful in the land of smiling assassins.

Harry
Cheers Harry68 , i fly out in2 weeks , i'm following all the forums on India and the cash situation ,will do my best to keep cards in wallet , they are there only as a dire straights back up ,will be negotiating with hotels, bars /restuarants etc , running up tabs to an agreed exchange rate ,not the nonsense offered by money exchangers ,

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”